Overclock.net banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm pretty much set on getting a 1000HE, but there is one nagging thing in the back of my mind. WHY DIDN'T THEY USED THE 4965AGN WIRELESS!!!! I mean any 802.11n support is great, but why not give it full support with the 5.8GHz band? To that aim, I will be purchasing a 4965 AGN mini-pcie card and antennas along with the netbook and 2GB ram.

One question, does anyone forsee a problem with upgrading this? I've read a few places that it won't work with the eee PC 1000H* line. Can anyone confirm or disprove?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Where are you getting 5.8 GHz from? The N standard only specifies 2.4 GHz and 5.0 Ghz.

As for why, that's simple: costs. The new(er) card might cost them an extra $10 per unit. That times 1 million units comes out to a hefty $10 million extra. I don't think netbook manufacturers make a lot off of netbooks at this point (seeing how those LED backlit screens cost more than traditional LCD panels).

As for upgrading it, you should be able to if you take off the back cover completely. From what I've read and seen in the photos online, the "upgrade" removable cover only lets you access the RAM and HDD, but not the wireless card.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas
View Post

Where are you getting 5.8 GHz from? The N standard only specifies 2.4 GHz and 5.0 Ghz.

As for why, that's simple: costs. The new(er) card might cost them an extra $10 per unit. That times 1 million units comes out to a hefty $10 million extra. I don't think netbook manufacturers make a lot off of netbooks at this point (seeing how those LED backlit screens cost more than traditional LCD panels).

As for upgrading it, you should be able to if you take off the back cover completely. From what I've read and seen in the photos online, the "upgrade" removable cover only lets you access the RAM and HDD, but not the wireless card.

I'm sorry, simple mistake with the 5.8...lol....

I knew it would be a little more in-depth than replacing RAM or an HDD/SSD, but I had read some places that people have had problems with the 1000H not recognizing the 4965AGN. Just wondering if anyone on OCN had attempted the upgrade and if they had the problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts