Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have just built my new system (see signature, lucky7). I am having NO issues so far and am currently testing 4.7ghz.

However when I do the maths, is 1000w really enough for this machine?

Under prime95 AVX the system pulls nearly 500w, non AVX about 400. And that's not even using the pair of 1080ti's.

Is it sensible that I get a better unit?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,755 Posts
Are you going to be running avx2 synthetics while loading both GPU's to 100%?

you need to take PSU efficiency into account as well - it's the draw from the PSU that is rated, not from the wall. 400w from the wall will be around 365w from the PSU

If you're OCing everything hard then you might be able to trip a 1kw PSU especially if you're trying to do it but you're much less likely to run into any issues with power draw with normal PC usage. Do your regular stuff and see how high it goes

·
Never Finished
2,321 Posts
If you shunt mod the graphics card and force 1.093V through them, you're looking at roughly 700-800w power draw from those when both are utilized 100%. Since you're at 1440p, you'll probably be closer to that 700 mark since 4k will demand higher power limit numbers.

The way I see it is that all of the good performing/measuring power supplies perform well in all load levels, so pick up a unit with more wattage than you'll need since it's not going to hurt anything. Unless you're wanting a cheap unit, you won't have to worry about poor efficiency at low loads, and some of the higher wattage power supplies are passive when power draw is below a certain wattage threshold.

But I guess if your system shuts off when doing something intensive then you'll know that your power supply isn't enough. For your average gamer, the only time you'll be stressing your cpu AND gpu is when you're doing something like P95 and Superposition simultaneously. Most games only use a handful of cores, or they just split the load across whatever cores you have, and most newer games don't support SLI or don't utilize both 100%. Because of that, it will be pretty rare to draw upwards of 1kw on your system unless you're stressing both hard.

If you want to simulate such a workload, but be realistic (like x264 rendering + gpu rendering), you can test with ASUS Realbench. The CPU side will do some real-world stress tests, and the GPUs will do some Blender rendering. If your system suddenly shuts off, then you know what you need to do, or not because you'll never be in that situation. Your call
thumb.gif

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro999 View Post

Are you going to be running avx2 synthetics while loading both GPU's to 100%?

you need to take PSU efficiency into account as well - it's the draw from the PSU that is rated, not from the wall. 400w from the wall will be around 365w from the PSU

If you're OCing everything hard then you might be able to trip a 1kw PSU especially if you're trying to do it but you're much less likely to run into any issues with power draw with normal PC usage. Do your regular stuff and see how high it goes
Well no, I don't plan on 100% 'ing two GPU's whilst running an AVX stress test. But personally I always thought its probably best to have a PSU that is capable of supporting the entire system completely maxed out, even if that will never happen under anything except synthetic tests.

I'll give realbench a go later.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I think the biggest problem you will have is keeping the gpu closest to the cpu cool. I ran 2 OC'd R9 285s for over a year with a Gold 1050 watt power supply, on a AMD 9590 rig. GTX 1080ti pulls about 50 more watts each Worked real well until it leaked, Yes did have to water the GPUs also to keep the heat under control. Peak power from both GPUs should be around 700 watts peak max and around 600 average with both running at 100% with some overclocking. I don't think there many intel CPUs that match a 9590 when it comes to power draw. That should be good with 1000 watts. It gives you headroom for power spikes if the cpu and gpus all spike at the same time. Ran 9 fans, 2 pumps also on a 140 + a 280 radiator

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpuck View Post

I think the biggest problem you will have is keeping the gpu closest to the cpu cool. I ran 2 OC'd R9 285s for over a year with a Gold 1050 watt power supply, on a AMD 9590 rig. GTX 1080ti pulls about 50 more watts each Worked real well until it leaked, Yes did have to water the GPUs also to keep the heat under control. Peak power from both GPUs should be around 700 watts peak max and around 600 average with both running at 100% with some overclocking. I don't think there many intel CPUs that match a 9590 when it comes to power draw. That should be good with 1000 watts. It gives you headroom for power spikes if the cpu and gpus all spike at the same time. Ran 9 fans, 2 pumps also on a 140 + a 280 radiator
Thanks, but I have no issues with temps. I have huge airflow across the GPU's and my CPU/VRM's are under water.

I think I am going to get a 1500w PSU at some point. To make sure I have the capability to run 100% on everything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts