Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
The last couple of weeks my temps on my X800GTO2 have gone up quite a lot. My clocks are 520/1180 but whenever I try to play a game I reach temperatures of almost 100C and the computer freezes and crashes.
I put some Arctic Silver 5 on and it hasnt helped at all so far. Should I put more or did I put too much? Does it help directly or does it take a while?
Should I get a new cooler and if so which one?
Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
New cooler dude!! Nice clocks btw. Just search on newegg for some compatible coolers. I think the zelman or zalmen something along the lines of that anyways are great coolers for those cards. I think you need to bend the end fins a lil tho to get past the ram, not too sure though.

edit: Also you should clean the core and cooler with 90ish proof isopropyl alcohol and use the as5 just about the size of an uncooked grain of rice. Then let it cure!

·
I might have tacos tonite
22,339 Posts
It should help directly. Those clock speeds seem a tad high, you may want to just turn your overclock down if you are overclocking.

My x800xt runs at a little above 100c under load, and it has never given me any problems with that heat.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used like 3 or 4 drops the size of a top o a match stick.. too much ?

edit: ok i guess I used too much, do I take some of or will it "heal" automatically?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
No take it off then clean it with the alco. the use a very small amount. Size-o-grain-o-rice! Sorry for editing the above post. I did it after I posted and continued to read you post and forgot to mention that

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Fil View Post
Alright, but what about the Arctic Silver 5? Why ain´t it working? Anyone know ?
it takes a white for AS5 to burn in by this i mean to settle. it wont work instantly it needs time to settle onto the GPU and Heatsink nicely.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No problem
, alright I think Ill keep it like this for a week or so and if it still doesnt help I clean it and take some off ..

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I would clean it off and reapply a grain of rice sized drop to it right away and not wait the week. Also, AS5 takes about 50 to 200 hours to fully cure. You should see some improvement but you will see more as it fully cures.

Quote:
During the CPU's initial use, the compound thins out to enhance the filling of the microscopic valleys and ensure the best physical contact between the heatsink and the CPU core. Then the compound thickens slightly over the next 50 to 200 hours of use to its final consistency designed for long-term stability.

Quote:
...the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period...
Source: http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NipDar
View Post

I would clean it off and reapply a grain of rice sized drop to it right away and not wait the week. Also, AS5 takes about 50 to 200 hours to fully cure. You should see some improvement but you will see more as it fully cures.

Source: http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

2nd that..!

·
Here longer than mods lol
3,800 Posts
Grain of rice is for a cpu not a tiny little chip on an x800, I only put half or less of a grain of rice on mine and now it runs at 72c underload and 37c idle, before that it was up in the 90's, so take it off quick and clean it

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CorpussStalker
View Post

Grain of rice is for a cpu not a tiny little chip on an x800, I only put half or less of a grain of rice on mine and now it runs at 72c underload and 37c idle, before that it was up in the 90's, so take it of quick and clean it

I agree, good catch on the size needed.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright, cant be bothered though. Anyways my IDLE temperature has lowered with 3 degrees in 2 days. Yaay

·
Here longer than mods lol
3,800 Posts
I think that if you dont remove all that AS5 it would be quite stupid on your part because if your temps are that high your fan is probably running at full speed all the time, which will decrease its lifespan and if the AS5 spread to somewhere dodgy it could get even worse, like no graphics card at all
But hey its your choice!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts