Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Voila!

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1415322

Finally got it all put together and booted it stable with a good solid OC.

Temps shown in the picture are pretty consistent with P95 thus far (and multitasking some applications).

I'm thinking the next step will be to raise the FSB and keep the memory timings where they are, then push up the NB voltage and HT link. CPU peaked at 53C and is coming down now so this is probably about as high of voltage as I want to go - will keep an eye on the temp over the next hrs
LL
LL

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks for the info. The reason I didn't go balls to the wall on the NB is because of the Crosshair IV's rampant overheating northbridge problem.
its at 41C load now with 1.12V. I could try putting it to 1.25 and see but I don't really wanna be going over 45C at load on the NB (or do I...)

·
Hardware/Software OG
1,692 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alienguts View Post
Ok, thanks for the info. The reason I didn't go balls to the wall on the NB is because of the Crosshair IV's rampant overheating northbridge problem.
its at 41C load now with 1.12V. I could try putting it to 1.25 and see but I don't really wanna be going about 45C at load on the NB.
If you are at 41C under full prime load you are golden and do NOT have the overheating issue.

Even 45C-50C is very good for these boards and 890FX chipset

·
Registered
394 Posts
one thing u have to remember Phobos233 is that he is one air cooling and u are on water cooling. heat is a larger issue for alienguts

·
Hardware/Software OG
1,692 Posts
Also, its not really the NB voltage that heats up the NB, its the CPU/NB

But to reach 3Ghz you will need close to 1.3 on NB and 1.4ish on the CPU/NB, and about 1.48ish on the cpu vcore

Don't be scared! And also rmemeber, that NOTHING will heat your gear up like prime will... so if the NB runs ~50C during prime you are ok cuz gaming or even crunching wont push it that hard/hot

·
Hardware/Software OG
1,692 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by computer/noob View Post
one thing u have to remember Phobos233 is that he is one air cooling and u are on water cooling. heat is a larger issue for alienguts
Right, I know, but I beat the crap out of my board/CPU for abotu a month before I water cooled it... and that was with the stock heatsink on the NB and the CPU

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by computer/noob View Post
Yeah my NB is not water cooled, but my case has very good cooling (22CM side fan, 120CM fans on back, top, and front and cables tucked) and my CPU is cheaply water cooled (H50).

I got this now, I'll update the temps in a little bit.

Oh ya I guess I accidently changed the CPU/NB to 1.25 and not the NB...
LL

·
Hardware/Software OG
1,692 Posts
Nice man, good work! Now let that prime for liek 30 min and see what temps you get
If you can stay stable for a few hours with those volts then you are good to go bro! And your NB is cooling VERY well for stock cooling... Did you do the stand off fix or change the TIM? Or you just get a good sample?

Only thing to do after that is bump the NB multi up one more click (might require a tad more on the NB and CPU/NB)

I found that a good, quick stability test is Cinebench 11. Download that and run the CPU tests. Seems to me that if you have any bad stability issues that will weed em out fast, then you can check for prime stability. Is also a quick way to see your performance increases

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I'll check it out. all I did was firmly press the heatsink and the PCB underneath it with the vicegrip that is my forefinger and thumb and spin the screwdriver once or twice on the screw that was already there. Didn't seem to move much at all if any but the screw did seem to go in a little further. Who knows it may have been good to go out the box and I didn't do anything to it at all but its fine.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm setting the vcore in bios to 1.45 yet in windows asus probe is reading 1.48 even 1.5v at times and I want it to be at 1.45 not 1.48... what can I do?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobos223 View Post
The CPU is just pulling more when it is under heavy load to maintain that freq. If you want to roll at 1.45 set to 1.42ish.

However, 1.48V-1.5 is pretty much standard issue for 4GHz on a 125W 1055T
1.45v

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok well wht I'm reading about LLC are posts about vdroop and things along the lines of

[and overvolt is disabled.]

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueLights View Post
Disabled here, I got nearly a 10C drop in max temp by turning it off and just manually setting my voltage =)
and also

Quote:

Originally Posted by IOSEFINI View Post
In my case (CROSSHAIR III ) bumps up the voltage during heavy loads and helped me reaching 4047 MHz. So I set the voltage 1.575v and that is during IDLE, but during P95 it bumps up @ 1.65. I have good cooling , so I keep it ENABLED
but I'm not up in those fancy smancy heavy duter water cooled voltage ranges.

I set it to 1.43 and now it is at 1.46 instead of 1.48 and my cpu is about 5-6 degrees cooler load.

also at 1.45 (1.48-1.5 load) it was getting up to 60 (if it gets to 60 I just shut down and retry)

·
Hardware/Software OG
1,692 Posts
Cool man. If it's stable, then roll with it
All CPUs are different! Mine seems to like 1.48V to do 4Ghz, but is rock soild at 1.25V @ 3.5Ghz ??? Weird stuff!

Either way you are on the right path man! Just keep experimenting and get the lowest stable voltages you can! You already got a mean OC, so definitely not worth the extra heat for a few more Mhz

Edit - Again, if you top out at 60C on prime you will prolly be around 45 or so when gaming

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah I haven't changed the speed clocks at all from what you suggested but just voltages - it seems to be stable and safe (temp-wise) at this point.
just need to do a long term stability test and temperature logging.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts