Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm trying to fine tune my 4GHz OC, but I'm running into a problem. I see lots of people with varying VID's (which is the default voltage a CPU asks for), ranging from 1.3250 to 1.4500. I'm currently running a VID of 1.3250 (on stock clocks with 1055T [2.8GHz]). I put my vCore to 1.504 (because that's what I'll run my 4GHz at), but the voltage reports in CPU-Z and HW Monitor never exceed 1.41 on both load and idle. What's going on here?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Lethal, for the link. Help me understand a little bit. But that still doesn't help make sense my dilema here. Everest and CoreTemp report my CPU VID as 1.3250. In my BIOS, I have my vCore set at 1.504v. But then when some programs calculate the actual voltage, with CPU-Z, HW Monitor, and Turbo V, the voltage is 1.4250 (which is probably impossible for stable 4GHz).

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AMDZ
View Post

Thanks Lethal, for the link. Help me understand a little bit. But that still doesn't help make sense my dilema here. Everest and CoreTemp report my CPU VID as 1.3250. In my BIOS, I have my vCore set at 1.504v. But then when some programs calculate the actual voltage, with CPU-Z, HW Monitor, and Turbo V, the voltage is 1.4250 (which is probably impossible for stable 4GHz).

Bios's add voltage on instead of just increasing the base VID which is why Everest and Core Temp will report the VID. The VID never changes because of this.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can actually change the VID through a program called PhenomMsrTweaker
. The max VID through this program you can apply is 1.4750. So how much more vCore should I add through my BIOS (btw, if my CPU Voltage was 1.55, my vCore would be 1.504, CPUv 1.52, vCore 1.488)?

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
............I know what PhenomMSRTweaker is..................

You have to ALWAYS account for vDroop. PhenomMSRTweaker uses the Cool'nQuiet driver in Windows to modify the VID. (Cool'nQuiet changes the VID when it downclocks, ect). But Bios's don't typically use VID anymore, they add onto the VID. Example: 1.3250 with +0.250 selected in bios.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it. So my VID is locked and set to 1.3250. Now in the BIOS, I added added 1.504 vCore. Why is it that in Everest and Turbo V, my voltages reads 1.4250v and not more?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
THEN USE A PROGRAM THAT WORKS FFS

some programs will work fine some won't

The REAL PROBLEM here is that you are using Turbo V thinking it will do ANYTHING for you when your overclock is already HIGHER than the TURBO settings that are DEFAULT to the chip... so don't even RUN Turbo V.

Even AMD Overdrive won't tell you the voltage correctly, but HWMonitor, ProbeII, CPU-Z, and OCCT will all read it right.

OH YEAH - the reason its different from what you set in BIOS is because your settings are not ideal so it automatically adjusts so it posts and runs better than you have it set. 1.41 does seem kinda low, mine is usually at 1.43-1.44 idling in windows and its set at 1.425 in the bios. 1.5 is OverKill for 4GHz, your bios probably knows that its OK so it just ignores you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts