Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like AMD therefore I have a Biostar Tforce 790GX Motherboard and a Phenom X3 8450 but I am getting 2 Gb of Corsair DHX Dominator RAM running at 1066Mhz. I was wondering if there was any way I could get it over 1066Mhz because the highest option in the BIOS for speed was 533Mhz (533Mhz x 2 = 1066Mhz). Stay Frosty...

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
yesm you can OC your RAM further than 1066... you'll need to set it manually through the BIOS...

If you don't want to overclock your CPU as well, you'll need to unlike the CPU:RAM ratio, then set the RAM to whatever speed you need it to run at... then remember to also manually set the voltage correctly (I believe its 2.1V)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

the highest option in the BIOS for speed was 533Mhz (533Mhz x 2 = 1066Mhz).

How would I do that if the highest speed you can set IN THE BIOS is 533Mhz?!? and what do you mean I'll need to "unlike" the CPU:RAM ratio?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually... what is the CPU:RAM Ratio and how do I change it? Is it just an option in the BIOS?

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sn0wm4n
View Post

How would I do that if the highest speed you can set IN THE BIOS is 533Mhz?!? and what do you mean I'll need to "unlike" the CPU:RAM ratio?

In the BIOS, usually under the chipset options, you'll options to overclocking your CPU... with those options, you should see a FSB:RAM ratio....

so, if you set that at 1:1, your FSB speed would run at the same speed with your RAM... 5:4, and your RAM runs at 4/5ths the speed of your FSB..

but if you unlink it, any change to your RAM speed will not affect the FSB, which will therefore not overclock your CPU (yet...). After unlinking the ratio, you should be able to adjust your RAM speed further

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Actually... what is the CPU:RAM Ratio and how do I change it? Is it just an option in the BIOS?

Yes it is

·
Married people build too
1,494 Posts
He means "unlink" so that when you raise the value of one, the other isn't affected.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Isn't the FSB irrelevant to an AMD system because wasn't that tech. replaced with HTT? Or is that just the link between the CPU and Northbridge?

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Isn't the FSB irrelevant to an AMD system because wasn't that tech. replaced with HTT? Or is that just the link between the CPU and Northbridge?

Sn0wm4n, you're correct there is not a "FSB". The processors come with a IMC (integrated memory controller) which emulates the need for a front side bus.

Just FYI, HTT is the reference clock speed of the motherboard (ie. 200Mhz). HT or LDT (lightning data transfer or commonly known as Hypertransport) is the interconnect technology on the motherboard. Here is more info on Hypertransport: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperTransport.

Hope that helps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts