Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 1075T cpu from fry's along with the GA-890FXA-UD5 board but haven't opened them. Of course I've read the typical "Intel holds the high end of the market" for gaming/performance but the other thing I've noticed is that at stock clocks and at past 1280x1024 the 1090T(3.2ghz, the 1075 is 3.0) is basically on par(give or take 1-2 FPS)with the 980X AS WELL as the higher end i7 quad cores and i5 chips. So at the $180 usd price point, who wouldn't buy the 1075T?

Can anyone shed some light on why people are like this? Would I truly see a benefit in gaming from Nehalem chips(Gulftown is another story, I flat out won't pay a grand for a cpu simply cause I can't afford it) or triple channel memory?

Here are some of the benchmarks i'm looking at:

bad company 2: http://www.guru3d.com/article/phenom...090t-review/18
farcry 2: http://www.guru3d.com/article/phenom...090t-review/17
crysis warhead: http://www.guru3d.com/article/phenom...090t-review/16

crysis: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...fx,2613-9.html
dirt 2: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...x,2613-12.html

of course there are other games reviewed on toms in that article, and i also realize that the 1090T has somewhat of a lackluster performance without AA, but the beauty is that you don't see a drop in performance nearly at all when you enable AA, and when you do, they're on par with intel chips. I almost NEVER play without AA enabled unless it's crysis, of course. or metro 2033 i'm sure. i game @ 1080p.

thoughts?

·
Registered
126 Posts
yeah but the moment you crack up the AA your cpu starts running again so the cheap hexacore is a big advantage if you got a decent gpu.

but yeah i can confirm that AA doesn't effect fps for my machine at all.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
If you look at Anandtech's recent cpu-nb overclocking of the Thuban, you'll see that there is a large gain in fps by doing so. Most reviews don't overclock the cpu-nb, so the results aren't what you can achieve if you know what you're doing. I'd love to see a properly overclocked Thuban gaming review against similarly priced setups. I have a feeling the results would surprise most on this forum.

·
Banned
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472 View Post
If you look at Anandtech's recent cpu-nb overclocking of the Thuban, you'll see that there is a large gain in fps by doing so. Most reviews don't overclock the cpu-nb, so the results aren't what you can achieve if you know what you're doing. I'd love to see a properly overclocked Thuban gaming review against similarly priced setups. I have a feeling the results would surprise most on this forum.
do you have a link to that article?

i actually just posted this thread over @ gamefaqs...i was told the i5 for ~200 is an unbeatable deal, which doesn't make sense considering the 1075t was 180 bucks and has the same performance and more future leeway when more games utilize multiple threads later on.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Your gpu will have a MUCH greater impact on gaming framerates, especially at higher resolutions. Honestly if gaming is your only deal then it is pointless to pay for an i7.

I'm talking single gpu of course.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472
View Post

This i never understood why people doing reviews never overclocked the nb seems kind of silly not to, to me.

·
1689 Federalist
11,738 Posts
Holy crap 180 for this thing, damn, I love my 1055t but what a deal. BE cpus are the *****.

OP why would you take it back for the 955????

fyi frys has it listed at $229, great deal $50 off!

·
Banned
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mygaffer
View Post

Your gpu will have a MUCH greater impact on gaming framerates, especially at higher resolutions. Honestly if gaming is your only deal then it is pointless to pay for an i7.

I'm talking single gpu of course.

i will probably crossfire eventually, why talking single gpu only? does intel help multiple gpus or something?

·
Village Idiot
2,396 Posts
The more GPU power you have, the more CPU power you need to fully utilize the GPUs. If you have tri-SLI GTX 480s, you're going to need a monster clocked i7 to push teh uber high fpszorz you'll be able to get with all that GPU power. Sure you'd still get crazy high FPS with an AMD setup, but all the additional power from an i7 will let the FPS take off like a rocket ship.

For all intents and purposes, current AMD chips will all provide perfectly playable frame rates in current games. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between an X6 and i7 without running fraps.

·
Banned
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what about crossfired 5850s or 5870s? or some ati card. i doubt i'd ever plan to do 3 way since i like my x-fi sound card.

·
Registered
126 Posts
crossfire and sli work the same way, so the more you have the more you cpu power you need, though as the other guy mentioned a high clocked i7 would be needed i believe the hexacore provides the two extra cores to run tri or quad crossfire without excessive overclocking as you got like 2 whole cores to handle the extra data demand.

running 58xx in crossfire is pretty nice works well usually though last time around they have a few problems which prohibits proper use of crossfire with newer drivers (no idea if they fixed it ~_~)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts