Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Ive managed a 2050MHz core 5805MHz memory without a bios mod or shunt mod.
I'm a bit nervous about the shunt mod so if possible want to avoid that, and I want to keep my three display ports as i have monitors to all of them and cant adapt them to HDMI.
So was wondering if anyone knows which alternatives allow you to clock the voltage higher, i currently have two 1080ti founders editions(one Zotac and one MSI).
Also Ive heard you need to be careful about the power pins that the graphics card uses like 2 8 pins and if i would use that BIOS it would brick my card

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hi,
Ive managed a 2050MHz core 5805MHz memory without a bios mod or shunt mod.
I'm a bit nervous about the shunt mod so if possible want to avoid that, and I want to keep my three display ports as i have monitors to all of them and cant adapt them to HDMI.
So was wondering if anyone knows which alternatives allow you to clock the voltage higher, i currently have two 1080ti founders editions(one Zotac and one MSI).
Also Ive heard you need to be careful about the power pins that the graphics card uses like 2 8 pins and if i would use that BIOS it would brick my card
No matter what BIOS you run, your 8pins will never and really never get overloaded. The shunt mod isn't really risky but only necessary if your card hits it's TDP and lowers the voltage and core clock because of it. If your card is maxed out, not downclocking because of the power limit and you still want more, the only way is to physically hardmod the card to get more Vcore which would then require other mods like the shunt mod. Since you are on founders editions, doing anything I just mentioned isn't recommended because you would run into serious cooling issues with nvidias "cooler" (a waterblock would eliminate that) and pascal does not scale with voltage really well, especially at relatively high, positive temperatures.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No matter what BIOS you run, your 8pins will never and really never get overloaded. The shunt mod isn't really risky but only necessary if your card hits it's TDP and lowers the voltage and core clock because of it. If your card is maxed out, not downclocking because of the power limit and you still want more, the only way is to physically hardmod the card to get more Vcore which would then require other mods like the shunt mod. Since you are on founders editions, doing anything I just mentioned isn't recommended because you would run into serious cooling issues with nvidias "cooler" (a waterblock would eliminate that) and pascal does not scale with voltage really well, especially at relatively high, positive temperatures.
Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention i run on water and i get a constant 29 degrees on load (on a hot day 31). i will check if i am bottlenecked by power. seeing the temps under load just makes me think theres so much more power that these cards can handle

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention i run on water and i get a constant 29 degrees on load (on a hot day 31). i will check if i am bottlenecked by power. seeing the temps under load just makes me think theres so much more power that these cards can handle
Since your on water , a shunt and volt mod could be worth it. However you have to have enough soldering skills. Warranty will be more than not existent after that.

·
High Clocker
3,421 Posts
XOC is the best bios for no limits but there are other ones that have higher power limits but you need to run a bat file each reboot to apply the higher limit.
From my card raising the power limit and voltage there is nearly nothing to gain.

Im on stock bios and do 2050mhz on 1.075v with 6000mhz on the momory and load temps around 36c, Only 3dmark firestrike hits the 120% power limit and drops the clock to 2037mhz in places, never seen any games hit it. (Draws 290-300W)
XOC bios I can do 2088mhz on 1.1v with 6000mhz mem, Load temps of 40c. only gain 400 graphics points in 3dmark. Games you dont notice any difference. (Draws 400W) And you have no warranty if you card fails.

·
Registered
247 Posts
well, i saw many gpu with resistors cutted off after monts of shunt mod, seems like liquid pro melt resistors welding

·
Overclocker in training
13,979 Posts
Hi,
No LM likes aluminum
Trick it to cover the existing aluminum solder with liquid electrical tape....
Then surround the shunts with hot glue so it doesn't go far if it does move if too much is applied.

·
Registered
380 Posts

u oc on curve or on slider?

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
XOC is the best bios for no limits but there are other ones that have higher power limits but you need to run a bat file each reboot to apply the higher limit.
From my card raising the power limit and voltage there is nearly nothing to gain.

Im on stock bios and do 2050mhz on 1.075v with 6000mhz on the momory and load temps around 36c, Only 3dmark firestrike hits the 120% power limit and drops the clock to 2037mhz in places, never seen any games hit it. (Draws 290-300W)
XOC bios I can do 2088mhz on 1.1v with 6000mhz mem, Load temps of 40c. only gain 400 graphics points in 3dmark. Games you dont notice any difference. (Draws 400W) And you have no warranty if you card fails.
Can a 1080Ti flashed w/the Asus Strix XOC VBIOS really draw 400 Watts at 2088 Mhz.?!!! How do you know?

·
High Clocker
3,421 Posts
Can a 1080Ti flashed w/the Asus Strix XOC VBIOS really draw 400 Watts at 2088 Mhz.?!!! How do you know?
HWiNFO64 logs it. As well as having live OSD of temp and power info.
PUBG while your on a boat in water is what hits the card the hardest and thats where I see 400W draw.

·
High Clocker
3,421 Posts
HWiNFO64 logs it. As well as having live OSD of temp and power info.
PUBG while your on a boat in water is what hits the card the hardest and thats where I see 400W draw.
Holy moly. R U gaming at 4K?
yup have 2x pg27uq screens

·
Registered
188 Posts
I dont get the obsession with "more and more voltage" on here.

You already topped 2ghz why do you want more voltage, just to use a lot more electric, burn through the PSU quicker, degrade the gpu quicker. With that said tho I will shut up since there is nothing more annoying then someone asking why you doing what you doing.

I dont know of anything other than XOC bios to exceed nvidia safe voltages.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I dont get the obsession with "more and more voltage" on here.

You already topped 2ghz why do you want more voltage, just to use a lot more electric, burn through the PSU quicker, degrade the gpu quicker. With that said tho I will shut up since there is nothing more annoying then someone asking why you doing what you doing.

I dont know of anything other than XOC bios to exceed nvidia safe voltages.
This is overclock.net where the "pursuit of performance" is the motto.

I already fried a Gigabyte 1080Ti Gaming OC w/my overclocking, but it wasn't the GPU that died (it never exceeded 60°C w/the Arctic Accelero Xtreme III and the powerful fans I added) it was the power circuitry.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts