Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title says absolute max for all below voltages on an MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi:

1.287v VID
1.238 Vcore
VCCSA 1.070
VCCIO 0.948v
RAM 1.352v

70-72c max core temp Cinebench / Realbench.

Corsair 360mm RGB XT Pro AIO in a Silverstone PM01. Fans in PWM mode.

Short CPU load 250w / Long CPU load 125w. Max power draw after a Realbench run is about 170w.

Everything on Auto / LLC / Speedstep / C-states / Turbo boost enabled in BIOS.

Adaptive Offset mode -0.070.

RAM at default 3200Mhz 16-18-18-38-560-2N. Haven't tried tightening / OCing the RAM yet.

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
546 Posts
5Ghz all core @ 1.238V Vcore sounds very good, you must have a good chip. Where are you taking the Vcore reading from?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Taking all readings from HWinfo 64. Not sure what the mobo vcore actually reads. I just have that on Auto with Adaptive Offset enabled at -0.070

I guess what I'm really asking is... What's the safe max voltage anyone would recommend for 24/7 usage?

Thank you

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers. I reckon I might just leave it how it is then. Might try up the RAM speed / tighten the timings a little and be done with it. : )

·
Registered
999 Posts
Short CPU load 250w / Long CPU load 125w
If you leave the long term turbo power limit set to the 125W default value, your CPU will throttle when it is fully loaded. To avoid any power limit throttling, set both turbo power limits to at least 300W. Run a Cinebench R23 test for 10 minutes. After a minute, if the long term turbo power limit is set to 125W, the CPU will be forced to slow down so it does not exceed 125W.

My 5000 MHz all core 10850K runs Cinebench R23 at 4000 MHz to 4100 MHz when it is power limit throttling at 125W.

·
Totally Tubular
1,644 Posts
If you leave the long term turbo power limit set to the 125W default value, your CPU will throttle when it is fully loaded. To avoid any power limit throttling, set both turbo power limits to at least 300W. Run a Cinebench R23 test for 10 minutes. After a minute, if the long term turbo power limit is set to 125W, the CPU will be forced to slow down so it does not exceed 125W.

My 5000 MHz all core 10850K runs Cinebench R23 at 4000 MHz to 4100 MHz when it is power limit throttling at 125W.

View attachment 2487392
During CPU stress tests, it will throttle. During gaming, it won't throttle. I tested my 10850K using the 125W/250W limits on -0.150v offset with various games and it drew 80-90W in the six games I tested. It stayed pegged at the normal 4.8GHz all-core turbo.

Professional loads likely will make it throttle if using all cores, similar to stress tests though.

I normally run it at fixed 5.1GHz all-core and it drew a maximum of 186.348W during a long session of Death Stranding yesterday.

·
Premium Member
10,088 Posts
@OP

You are going to find that 3200Mhz RAM at those timings can be a boon to your CPU. I would shoot for 4000+ at CL16 minimum. I thought I was great at 3900; was able to get 4200 16-16-16-38 stable and the performance is almost exactly double (read/write/copy).

Where it shows up is frame times and FPS in gaming for me. I'm sure it shows up elsewhere as well in other memory-dependent workloads.

FWIW~

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So been messing around with the 10850k still...

If I set a per core ratio of 5Ghz on all cores it will boost to 5ghz under very light loads but wont boost past 4.8Ghz in games or Cinebench R20.

If I set an all core ratio of 5Ghz it boost to 5ghz in games and Cinebench but actually loses points.

Say from around 6250 with the per core at 5Ghz but under 6000 with the all core 5Ghz.

Also the voltage required for all core 5Ghz is a lot more than the per core 5Ghz. Not to mention temps go from around 70c up to 85ish.

Am I missing something? Might be to do with power limits. But I've messed around with that too a bit and it doesn't seem to change things.

I honestly don't think the extra voltage / heat required for a 'true' 5Ghz all core is worth it. Especially if it's losing performance anyway.

·
Totally Tubular
1,644 Posts
So been messing around with the 10850k still...

If I set a per core ratio of 5Ghz on all cores it will boost to 5ghz under very light loads but wont boost past 4.8Ghz in games or Cinebench R20.

If I set an all core ratio of 5Ghz it boost to 5ghz in games and Cinebench but actually loses points.

Say from around 6250 with the per core at 5Ghz but under 6000 with the all core 5Ghz.

Also the voltage required for all core 5Ghz is a lot more than the per core 5Ghz. Not to mention temps go from around 70c up to 85ish.

Am I missing something? Might be to do with power limits. But I've messed around with that too a bit and it doesn't seem to change things.

I honestly don't think the extra voltage / heat required for a 'true' 5Ghz all core is worth it. Especially if it's losing performance anyway.
I'm confused.

Typically, when somebody says they are doing a 5GHz all-core OC, that means all of the cores stay at 5GHz all the time. But it doesn't sound like that's what you're doing. Or maybe it's just the wording...

What settings are you using for your "all-core" and "per-core" OCs with "boosting"?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actual All Core setting in BIOS is at 50.

The per core OC is at 50 on all the cores. But for whatever reason if I use the per core setting (even if each individual core is set to 50).

CPU will only boost to 4.8Ghz in more intensive tasks (Cinebench, Realbench,, Games, etc).

It will however boost to 5Ghz very rarely on extremely light loads such as on the desktop or web browsing.

The All Core OC boosts to 50 on every core even while running benchmarks or gaming.

Despite the All Core actually boosting to 50 as opposed to 48 with the per core OC. I get higher scores with the per core OC over the All Core OC.

I hope this makes a bit more sense now.

Thank you.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I hope this makes a bit more sense now.
Not really.

Did you increase your turbo power limits yet?

At default settings a 10850K will use the 48 multiplier when it is fully loaded. If you set it to use the 50 multiplier when all cores are active then it will use the 50 multiplier as long as you have set the power limits appropriately.

If you are getting worse performance with an all core multiplier of 50 then it sounds like you are experiencing power limit throttling because you did not increase the turbo power limits.

Run something simple like Cinebench. Make sure your CPU is maintaining full speed for the duration of the test. Use HWiNFO to report the reasons for throttling. I get the full 50.00 multiplier when fully loaded across all 20 threads for the entire Cinebench run.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You were right. Thanks so much. I set power to unlimited. All Core OC 50.

Stayed at 5Ghz for the whole Cinebench run. Got a bit toasty though. 82c on hottest core. 5Ghz at 1.285v.

I also figured out why the temps were worse before. Turns out the AIO fans were set to quiet and not ramping up even under load.

• Rep+
Reactions: unclewebb
1 - 13 of 13 Posts