Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am about to build and I am torn between the 10900k or the 3950x (maybe the 3900x). I am for sure playing games, like tomb raider, witcher 3, assassin's creed, etc. but i am wanting to film the build and post it on youtube but not sure how well that will go. and maybe start a youtube channel if it goes good.

I am building a Asus fan boy system for the fun of it, and I am a fan but not a fanboy.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Hi, I am about to build and I am torn between the 10900k or the 3950x (maybe the 3900x). I am for sure playing games, like tomb raider, witcher 3, assassin's creed, etc. but i am wanting to film the build and post it on youtube but not sure how well that will go. and maybe start a youtube channel if it goes good.

I am building a Asus fan boy system for the fun of it, and I am a fan but not a fanboy.
10900k for gaming. It clocks higher, but even beats the 3950x in gaming at the same clocks.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
And regarding video encoding, the 10900k should be about the same as a 3900x in video encoding, maybe slightly slower. However, Buildzoid (Actually Hardcore Overclocking and OCN forum member) has 100k subscribers and encodes with a Ryzen 1700x. Even if you get a 10700k, you will still have a better gaming and encoding CPU than him. Lazy Game Reviews (LGR) has 1.1 million subscribers and just upgraded from an 8 or 12 core to a 32 core 3990x.

What I'm saying don't put the cart before the horse and get an encoding monster when you don't even have a Youtube channel yet.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I'm saying don't put the cart before the horse and get an encoding monster when you don't even have a Youtube channel yet.

OK thank you hadnt thought about it that way.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
i have both... 3950x was a "fun" cpu to watch cores in the task manager, and for super ******** multi tasking, and thats it. I hated the platform for OC'ing, stability, and overall tweaking.. just left me feeling very underwhelmed and just was never snappy. I had my 3950x @ 4.6ghz (game stable only) and ram tweaked @ 3733mhz 1:1 with the IF and still never felt fluid in windows and forget about games. Bought the 10900k on day of launch @ MC, and a board for it AND TBH wit hyou, i wasnt expecting this much of a difference, but I was back to just ultra smooth gaming, and just being in windows you can tell the snappiness was back. Fine tuned my OC, was super happy so sold off the 3950x.... NEVER LOOKED BACK. Not a fanboy (or whatever its called this week) I just know what worked for me, and intel is again, overall the best cpu for gaming... I back that up with knowledge from owning both.. Go 10900k

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so its 10900k. Now ram what speed? Im going with a asus rog maximus xii formula. Also can you overclock 3600 or should I buy faster ram. Going with 64 g of ram.

·
Avid Memer
5,940 Posts
You can overclock whatever RAM you buy. If you can find a decent price on B-die, that's probably the way to go. You'll want to tighten timings as much as possible because there's more gaming performance to gain there than overclocking your CPU.

·
Premium Member
18,133 Posts
Don't think iv seen anyone ask what res are you going to play at 1440p and up both cpus should be dang close in fps i love my 3900x games run great OS is so smooth but i came from a old x99 6800k that only clocked at 4.2ghz and never felt smooth my 3900x at 4.4ghz is feels and responds so much better then i was used to.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Ok so its 10900k. Now ram what speed? Im going with a asus rog maximus xii formula. Also can you overclock 3600 or should I buy faster ram. Going with 64 g of ram.
great choice on the board, its what im using, and if you follow the thread in this section for it, you can find out which bios will work the best for you. Im running 4x8gb b-die (Patriot 4400 sticks) and running them @ 17/17/17 4133mhz which imo is pretty damn good for 4sticks on a daisy chain board. GL sir, and good choice in parts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do you tell if you are getting b ram?

·
Registered
237 Posts
AMD is fire and forget basically, runs almost at limit out of the box (activate PBO, decent air cooler and done). So if you dont plan to do things like:

**Games Only** Asus Maximus Formula XII / i9 10900k @ 5.3GHz / 32gb 4x8GB Patriot Viper DDR4 4400 @ 4133 / 2080Ti / Everything watercooled using Dual Loops and many 420mm rads
I would get a Zen2 tbh. 3900XT if i had to buy now.

Intel tuned for 35ms ram latency and 5+ Ghz all core OC will always feel snappy...no boost algorithm.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
mostly by timings and speed.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
AMD is fire and forget basically, runs almost at limit out of the box (activate PBO, decent air cooler and done). So if you dont plan to do things like:

I would get a Zen2 tbh. 3900XT if i had to buy now.

Intel tuned for 35ms ram latency and 5+ Ghz all core OC will always feel snappy...no boost algorithm.
have you had BOTH? or just trying to defend what "YOU" use to make yourself feel better? Ive had both, and no way would i make another gaming PC using zen2.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
AM4 socket has one more chip on its way

·
Registered
237 Posts
have you had BOTH? or just trying to defend what "YOU" use to make yourself feel better? Ive had both, and no way would i make another gaming PC using zen2.
All my CPUs but three (two AMD and one Cyrix) were Intel with better latency. If i tune them like you did with insane investment in cooling and a lot of luck on the RAM OC (you mentioned it yourself) there is no doubt they are better for Gaming and Office. All i said (and if you read my post properly you would not get instantly triggered) was that out of the Box i would go for a 3900XT rightnow with fixed Core-Scheduling, PBO and better RAM support.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
All my CPUs but three (two AMD and one Cyrix) were Intel with better latency. If i tune them like you did with insane investment in cooling and a lot of luck on the RAM OC (you mentioned it yourself) there is no doubt they are better for Gaming and Office. All i said (and if you read my post properly you would not get instantly triggered) was that out of the Box i would go for a 3900XT rightnow with fixed Core-Scheduling, PBO and better RAM support.
if you think AMD has better ram support, you have lost your mind, and PBO is a complete mess with all vendors of motherboards, hence why a new AGESIA comes out often, and still motherboard vendors are completely inconsistent with pbo/boost rythems. My 3950x (when at complete auto settings in bios) never once hit 4.7.. i mean NOT EVEN CLOSE, i had to play with EDC/etc and set them manually to see 4.4+... Manual OC per CCD was key, atleast for me and my OCing wants/needs. Intel platform... it just works, plain jane, easy as that.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Is 16 19 19 39 b?
3600Mhz at those timings? Probably not. 3200cl14 is almost always b-die, 3600 at anything under 16 CAS is as well, 4000 17 usually is as well.

·
Registered
237 Posts
if you think AMD has better ram support, you have lost your mind, and PBO is a complete mess with all vendors of motherboards, hence why a new AGESIA comes out often, and still motherboard vendors are completely inconsistent with pbo/boost rythems. My 3950x (when at complete auto settings in bios) never once hit 4.7.. i mean NOT EVEN CLOSE, i had to play with EDC/etc and set them manually to see 4.4+... Manual OC per CCD was key, atleast for me and my OCing wants/needs. Intel platform... it just works, plain jane, easy as that.
Again, i never said RAM support improved over Intel. It improved since the beginning of ZEN2. Timings that were impossible 5 months ago, are working now without a problem for me (and its the best improvement for gaming). Early SKUs suffer not gonna lie here, i have one...but good SKUs are very common now, the 7nm process matured like it did in the past with Zen and they go way beyond advertised boostclocks...this forum is full of posts of 3800x hitting 4700Mhz and beyond (reminder advertised is 4500Mhz).

It was a rough start but it improved, thats all im saying and i will stick to my opinion that i would buy it for out of the box use (+ one click PBO activation).

I went with AMD for the upgrade path...the 4000XT series is where the fun begins in a year or two. Hopefully my Revision 1 Board will be able to keep up with the RAM OC then. I would be heartbroken if i couldnt hit 4200Mhz (1:1).

peace

·
Edgy & on the edge
1,535 Posts
i have both... 3950x was a "fun" cpu to watch cores in the task manager, and for super ******** multi tasking, and thats it. I hated the platform for OC'ing, stability, and overall tweaking.. just left me feeling very underwhelmed and just was never snappy. I had my 3950x @ 4.6ghz (game stable only) and ram tweaked @ 3733mhz 1:1 with the IF and still never felt fluid in windows and forget about games. Bought the 10900k on day of launch @ MC, and a board for it AND TBH wit hyou, i wasnt expecting this much of a difference, but I was back to just ultra smooth gaming, and just being in windows you can tell the snappiness was back. Fine tuned my OC, was super happy so sold off the 3950x.... NEVER LOOKED BACK. Not a fanboy (or whatever its called this week) I just know what worked for me, and intel is again, overall the best cpu for gaming... I back that up with knowledge from owning both.. Go 10900k
Even a 3600 feels super smooth. No issue whatsoever. Boots in half a ms and feels like butter in windows and in games. You must be booting off a USB drive or something.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts