Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As soon as I have some tabs open in Firefox windows becomes extremely sluggish and the task-manager shows a cpu usage of 20 to 50% and memory usage of up to 4-5 gb.

It is nearly impossible to do anything in that state, windows barely reacts anymore. Why is Firefox so hardware intensive?

Any idea what I can do? Is it for instance possible to spread the workload over mutiple cores or are already multiple cores in use in Windows 7?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
18,219 Posts
maybe try the firefox 64bit my firefox does not lag my entire system even with 10-12 tabs and tabs with video even. You can turn off the hardware acceration and that might help you with the lag.

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
Something else is wrong here, I can open a dozen tabs on my atom 1.6 single core and be fine. I would reinstall it and worst comes to worst reinstall windows or try using chrome and a couple other browsers to see if its still happening, then figure out difference. Maybe something is up with your cache?

sent from my EVO 3D

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
What version of Firefox? IF you not using 7.0.1 then get it.

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie5000;15340232
What version of Firefox? IF you not using 7.0.1 then get it.
This. 4.0.1 or the latest version. Anything in between sucks ass.

ALSO: All Phenom II CPU's have the TLB bug patch from the previous Phenom's still enabled by default.

Link to disable:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?180338-Phenom-TLB-Disable-Tool-and-Phenom-MSR-tweaking-tool

PS: I did this other day and it did drop my CPU usage in mostly everything, especially while just browsing firefox. Firefox is also a memory whore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts