Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the Asus M4a89GTD and the Coolermaster V-8 cooler, now beings this thing is a GIANT monstrous beast I thought I would have no issue OC, well, ... I was wrong, I was still getting too hi9gh of temps and idle was around 33 or so, So today I decided to go out and exchange this monster heat-sink for the Zalman 9900, I was told it was superior to the V-8 due to it being 100% pure Copper, but low and behold SAME TEMPS!!! I can not get this thing to get any cooler for some reason, I am running at 4.1Ghz right now with 31 idle but when I run OCCT within 3 minutes it gets all the way up to 54 ( this is when I decided to stop the test as I believe 62 is max and I would really rather not blow this CPU) I am new to OC but this seems a bit odd as I am using the exact same settings as another individual that I saw here, except I have no idea what kind of cooling he had,

My settings are

Multiplier:20X
HT:2600Mhz
CPU/NB V:1.44
NB V: 1.3
FSB:200Mhz
NB: 3000Mhz

I believe these are pretty close but I can not remember at the moment,

my ram clocks are 6 7 6 18 @ 1.7V

any tips are greatly appreciated. I was thinking of even going liquid cooling with the H50 (Corsair)

Thanks,

·
Pinoy po mga koya
7,524 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TeslasRinger
View Post

I just got the Asus M4a89GTD and the Coolermaster V-8 cooler, now beings this thing is a GIANT monstrous beast I thought I would have no issue OC, well, ... I was wrong, I was still getting too hi9gh of temps and idle was around 33 or so, So today I decided to go out and exchange this monster heat-sink for the Zalman 9900, I was told it was superior to the V-8 due to it being 100% pure Copper, but low and behold SAME TEMPS!!! I can not get this thing to get any cooler for some reason, I am running at 4.1Ghz right now with 31 idle but when I run OCCT within 3 minutes it gets all the way up to 54 ( this is when I decided to stop the test as I believe 62 is max and I would really rather not blow this CPU) I am new to OC but this seems a bit odd as I am using the exact same settings as another individual that I saw here, except I have no idea what kind of cooling he had,

My settings are

Multiplier:20X
HT:2600Mhz
CPU/NB V:1.44
NB V: 1.3
FSB:200Mhz
NB: 3000Mhz

I believe these are pretty close but I can not remember at the moment,

my ram clocks are 6 7 6 18 @ 1.7V

any tips are greatly appreciated. I was thinking of even going liquid cooling with the H50 (Corsair)

Thanks,

your temps are fine imo. 31 idle at 4.1ghz is pretty good actually

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But I dont think I will pass a stress test at all, I have only gone a few minutes into it before chickening out.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
if it gets too hot it will either crash or throttle... either way your temps seem fine, let that baby load up and see if it goes passed 62, i would feel comfortable bringing it to 60c if i was you

edit: whats your vcore? maybe you can drop it down a little

·
Pinoy po mga koya
7,524 Posts
4.1ghz is a fairly high OC for a 1090T on air cooling. try lowering your OC to 4ghz

·
Premium Member
5,940 Posts
72C is max for the 1090T as far as i know.

on full OC with 1.5v you dont want to go past 55C tough.
Get a better cooler, Mugen 2 or a H50
Zalmans arent all that good

·
Pinoy po mga koya
7,524 Posts
mine goes above 62 degrees but is still 28 hours stable at prime and 16 hours stable in linx @ 4.1ghz

·
Premium Member
5,940 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jprovido
View Post

mine goes above 62 degrees but is still 28 hours stable at prime and 16 hours stable in linx @ 4.1ghz

Yea but above 62C you will see some quick degration. AMD likes it cool and around 55C max

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is my Vcore the same as my cpu voltage? if so I have that set to 1.44 What happens if you set the voltage too low for what you are overclocking? also how does the ratio between the NB and the CPU/NB voltages affect the OC?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just raised the voltage of the cpu to 1.53 ad the NB to 1.38 and the multiplier to 22 I am now at 4.4Ghz idle at 32 I havent run OCCT yet though, I am afraid
lol

·
Premium Member
5,940 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I just raised the voltage of the cpu to 1.53 ad the NB to 1.38 and the multiplier to 22 I am now at 4.4Ghz idle at 32 I havent run OCCT yet though, I am afraid
lol

vcore is same as CPU v. 1090 like 1.5 max, and on water with 55C below they can have 1.55 aswell.

But dont Overclock when you are afraid for stress testing, because it wont be stable. Get a H50 and u can try 4.4ghz, but for now stay at 4-4.1ghz and make sure to not pass 55C on 1.5v

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay I played around a bit and lowered the voltage for the Vcore, (should I also lower the NB?) I am now at 31C idle at 4.2Ghz

·
Premium Member
5,940 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Okay I played around a bit and lowered the voltage for the Vcore, (should I also lower the NB?) I am now at 31C idle at 4.2Ghz

The NB can be @ 1.25 even i think. Just stress test it.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Quote:

View Post

When lowering your vcore, that doesnt mean to speed your system up lol. Try running 4.0 at around 1.45-1.475 vcore with cpu-nb staying where its at, and try dropping your ram down a notch or two to about 1.65 or so. Run OCCT then and see what you come up with. If you are staying under the 55*C then you should be good to try bumping your OC a little. If you are hitting the 55*C mark, then that is telling me that you may need to reapply your thermal paste. Drop your NB to 1.23 or 1.25. You really shouldnt have to up its voltage unless your 2900mhz+ on it. Its the CPU-NB that effects things the most.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
we need load temps, idle means almost nothing really, your idle is almost as low as mine and im under water but my load doesnt go up to 40c

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know lol, I was just talking about cooling it down a bit, anyway, Should I leave the CPU/NB at AUTO and same for everything else? except the vcore @ 1.45 and the DRAM at 1.65?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
well drop your vcore as low as you can until you cant boot into windows anymore, then bump it up a little and run a stress test, if it doesnt crash, keeping running it for awhile (depends how stable you are going for, IE 20 linx passes or 16 hrs of prime is usually pretty good)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay So I will take off all OC settings and start fresh, I did notice however the heatsink does not seem to be warm at all, maybe too much thermal paste? anyway I will try with these settings next

Ratio:X20
FSB:200
NB Frequency: 3000Mhz
HT frequency 2600Mhz
VCore:1.44
VCPU/NB:1.3
DRAM:1.65
Ram Clocks, 6-7-6-18 (Stock is 9-9-9-24)

You think this should work okay?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=596023

read that lol overclocking is a long and grueling process, i need to redo my overclock using that method because i was doing the same thing you are doing right now (trying to just jump ahead, which works but its much more a guessing game that way and you dont maximize your performance)

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
basically go for little bumps and when you cant boot into windows/run a stability test for a couple mins then bump your vcore (this is after making sure your mem is stable) your IMC isnt going to be as sensitive as that guide describes (since its the new thubans) so you should do fine with those timings but i would just run everything stock but the memory and test that for a little before going nuts on the NB,HT and CPU

edit: sorry for double post but i thought you would say something by the time i got this one out lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts