Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
o I just ordered parts for my newest build and am really excited. I usually go the Intel route but I though I'd change it up some. I do a lot of gaming(I know this isn't the best processor for gaming) but I'm an enthusiast too.

Was curious of what achievable clocks I'll be able to reach on h2o. Can't really find many articles(links to some would be nice)

Phenom II x6 1090t
Asus Crosshair IV Mobo
OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 2x2gb 1600mhz PC3 12800
XFX Radeon HD 5850(With second soon to come)
Apevia Warlock 1100-Watt ATX Power Supply
Swiftech Apogee XT CPU Waterblock
3x140mm radiator w/ shroud
20c average room temp

I plan to upload some pics as soon as I get it in and do some case modding(HAF 932) and dressup.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
On water you should be able to hit 4.3 Ghz +/- 0.1 Ghz. Most people hit 4.0 - 4.1 GHz on air. You should not expect much over 4.5 Ghz unless you get a golden chip and got a great loop.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I hit 4.15 with 1055 in test session on this board with a zalman perfroma air-cooler . on water you can expect 4.3 at 1.55 as I achieved 4.15 on 1.488 or maby more.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by luches
View Post

I hit 4.15 with 1055 in test session on this board with a zalman perfroma air-cooler . on water you can expect 4.3 at 1.55 as I achieved 4.15 on 1.488 or maby more.

"this board" meaning the Crosshair IV or the board in your Sig Rig?

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
i've hit 4.1 on air... but it's maxing out my cooler. I had to take it back to 3.8ish until my Swiftech Edge-320 comes in. Once that happens, I could go higher more than likely. ]

Just make sure you have good flow through the case, because the motherboard chipset gets pretty warm.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I meant CF IV ..... that board overclock really well . getting it up to 4.15 on 1.488 was a piece of cake and messing with ram timing was the thing that took most of my time ^^
though I didnt have to overclock NB to 2800 or 3000 to go above 4ghz . NB was staying at a mild 3460mhz

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
First thing to check on Boot is to go into the BIOS HW temp monitor and check of you got a well fit nortbridge, or the duff one. Some of the crosshair IV's have a misfit northbridge heatsink. As with mine, so I removed it, scraped away the pre-applied thermal pad or w.e. it is shaved down the cushion pads and applied some Arctic silver 5.
My original temps were idle around 60c and load up and over 75c.
Now im at ~40c - 55c

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QQ Newegg sent the wrong board(i ended up with a biostar 890fxe somehow) had to send it back. So hopefully by the end of the week it'll be in. Thanks for all the feedback, it'll come in handy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mental.patient View Post
First thing to check on Boot is to go into the BIOS HW temp monitor and check of you got a well fit nortbridge, or the duff one. Some of the crosshair IV's have a misfit northbridge heatsink. As with mine, so I removed it, scraped away the pre-applied thermal pad or w.e. it is shaved down the cushion pads and applied some Arctic silver 5.
My original temps were idle around 60c and load up and over 75c.
Now im at ~40c - 55c
Thanks. I'll check that out. Hadn't seen anything on that. I actually have some extra Artic Silver 5 laying around. Might do it regardless. Also any ideas on possibly a waterblock for the nb/sb? Watercooling is something I'm just stepping into for the first time with this build. How much of a difference would it make?

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
^^^You can hit 4.3+GHz.

My max is 4.4GHz (crashed after 5 hours of P95, have pic-3hours)
Run it @ 4.3GHz 24/7
LL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by doritos93 View Post
No one mentions stability... I assume these are all suicide runs when people say 4.1 - 4.4 lol.
I am looking for stable settings and I hear it is possible to reach these.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ulawe View Post
You will expect the best setup ever... (owner of board & cpu)
speak for yourself mate lol

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
4.2 on water 4 on air with a noctua for example

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CULLEN View Post
On water you should be able to hit 4.3 Ghz +/- 0.1 Ghz. Most people hit 4.0 - 4.1 GHz on air. You should not expect much over 4.5 Ghz unless you get a golden chip and got a great loop.
Speaking of golden chips...mine is amazing.

I am at 4GHz solid right now, and barely hitting 40c on LOAD. It was stable on stock voltage, but I upped it to 1.38 from 1.36 for good measure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts