Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
The 2500K will struggle in synthetic multi threaded CPU benchmarks and video compression in comparison to the 1090T; however in day to day useage the 2500K will be so much better. with gaming and single threaded application, because barely any applications take full usage of a Hex core processor at the moment.

2500K newer archicture compared to 1090T sill uses a very dated architecture.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
The i5 2500k is not only a chip that offers higher performance, it also provides better value.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallaTheFeared;11970788
All you ever see is i7's doing it but who cares about fake cores anyways?
I get 26000 in Vantage when HT is on and 19500 when HT is off...
Those cores may be fake, but they sure are magical.

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjamesroe;11970766
The 2500K will struggle in synthetic multi threaded CPU benchmarks and video compression in comparison to the 1090T; however in day to day useage the 2500K will be so much better. with gaming and single threaded application, because barely any applications take full usage of a Hex core processor at the moment.

2500K newer archicture compared to 1090T sill uses a very dated architecture.
You mean like this? It's totally struggling dude!

35031.png

Or

35029.png

Or

35026.png

Or

35025.png

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjamesroe;11970766
Not necessarily, but we'd have to see benchmarks to know for sure. Clock-for-clock the 2500k is much faster than the 1090T, so it could still handle threaded applications by time-slicing multiple threads per core and I imagine it would beat the 1090T in most multithreaded applications or benchmarks. Take an i5 or i7 with HT disabled and all cores but one disabled to make it a single core and it would still absolutely dominate any dual-core Atom CPU at multithreaded tasks. Fewer cores does not necessarily mean less power.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Well here are my Vantage pics, if you don't believe me.

3dmarkVantage02.jpg

3dmarkVantage03.png

That's 25723 vs 19123. That's a 35% improvement... or 9% per core.

Also, you do know that CPUs in general and PCs are made for much more than just gaming. If you want just gaming, buy a console. I for one use it for heavy video/music/photo editing as well as gaming, and I know HT makes a difference.

Otherwise why would I keep my i7 @ 4.2 Ghz with HT on rather than @ 4.5 Ghz with HT off?

·
Banned
9,168 Posts
Wow don't get all butt hurt little man.

This thread is about gaming, don't bring your fake core madness into a thread using your standard i7-9xx bs of changing the format.

In Vantage HT provides a performance boost - or higher score.

In real gaming HT provides a slight hit in FPS, its inflated scoring like the price of the i7 is inflated.

Is that an 80Mhz gpu overclock?

lol.

Lets see some of your work, then I'll tell you you'd probably get it done nearly as fast with HT off and a higher overclock while getting better FPS in games.

What does that taste like?

·
15,777 Posts
Well games don't have priority over the rest of the system so HT FTW for me at least

·
Premium Member
3,501 Posts
2500K would be better for gaming.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallaTheFeared;11971193
Wow don't get all butt hurt little man.

This thread is about gaming, don't bring your fake core madness into a thread using your standard i7-9xx bs of changing the format.

In Vantage HT provides a performance boost - or higher score.

In real gaming HT provides a slight hit in FPS, its inflated scoring like the price of the i7 is inflated.

Is that an 80Mhz gpu overclock?

lol.

Lets see some of your work, then I'll tell you you'd probably get it done nearly as fast with HT off and a higher overclock while getting better FPS in games.

What does that taste like?
Wow.... did I just offend you? If not, then why did you get suddenly so personal? I think someone is trying to convince themselves why they bought the i5 2500k rather than the i7 2600k. That's just the insecurity speaking.

Don't worry you made a choice, just stick to it. No need to constantly battle with others and especially with yourself.

Also, you're absolutely right... the OP asked for just gaming (or "pure gaming" as he put it) and in that case HT does not have any significant uses. But the comment you made about the fake cores referred to the CPU's performance as a whole and someone had to correct you.

And, unfortunately, one of my GPUs is holding me back, and I really don't want to flash it and voltage mod it. Otherwise the other one can go higher on stock voltage. Shame really, but I can max out any game with more than 60FPS+ so I'm fine atm. I'll worry when Crysis 2 comes.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallaTheFeared;11970871
Magically fake.

Oh and a FPS loss I might add. Horray for craptastic vantage though.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/904301-benchmarks-i7-overclock-ht-performance-scaling.html

Vantage:

3dmark11average.jpg

Games:

CrysisGPUAverage.jpg

CrysisCPUAverage.jpg

MafiaIIAverage.jpg

LostPlanetAverage.jpg
Did you even look at that graph? 0.1 - less than 1 FPS difference? How is that loss in performance? It's not 5FPS it's less than 1 which you won't even notice. For all we know it could be margin or error.

Gosh, the kiddies these days who don't know how to read numbers.

Back to topic, yes 2500k outperforms the 1090T in every range of benches from lightly threaded to heavily threaded apps.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts