Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I finally made my upgrade to the GTX 260 Core 216 and I must say I couldnt be happier. I used my step up program, however, so I couldnt bench the 260 against my old 8800gt's. Thats where 10acjed's PNY 8800gt's in SLI came in handy. I asked him a favor of benching them against each other and we did. The rest is history. We have basically the same setup with a Q6600 at 3.4Ghz and a 750i FTW board from EVGA so I thought this would be a great idea to bench!

But with our tests we decided to bench in 1680x1050, as that is the resolution we play at and we figure most of you play at. Let the results begin.

10acjed's GPU/CPU Settings

First off we start with the old standard 3DMark06 on our PC's. Settings are as shown:

10acjed's results:

My results:

So we already see the GTX260 pull ahead of the old SLI setup.

Now we move on to 3dmark Vantage

Settings:

10acjed's results:

My results:

As you can see he scored higher on the CPU end (weird but i'm guessing its cuz he is on an 8x multi? and i'm on a 9x?) But my GPU score was around 600 points higher.

I will update this with more test results when I get back with him.

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
I'm curious for the more results even though i can't see the pics yet (at school).

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
I might seriously think that if I make a new machine doing a 260+ and my 8800 GTS for Physx.

Surprised your OCZ PSU can handle all that power.
I knwo mine currently cannot

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Nice, congratz on the new card

Have you had much time to find your max stable OC on that 260 yet?
Seems I can't go above 1530 shader or I artifact D;

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
I'm not an 3DMark06 expert, so pardon my ignorance in the following question.

With 2x 8800GTs on a quad-core he is getting 11k in 3dMark06, with 2x 8800GTSs on a 45nm dual-core I am getting around 18k. What gives? The q6600s usually give a higher CPU score and I can't imagine the 8800GTs being that much worse.

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
He's not running it with the standard resolution and settings.

EDIT: Uh I hit 18k with one GTS 512 btw, OC those cards

Actualy no I lie, I think it was 17k, I currently get 18k with my 260. Confused for a second ;]

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordikon
View Post

I'm not an 3DMark06 expert, so pardon my ignorance in the following question.

With 2x 8800GTs on a quad-core he is getting 11k in 3dMark06, with 2x 8800GTSs on a 45nm dual-core I am getting around 18k. What gives? The q6600s usually give a higher CPU score and I can't imagine the 8800GTs being that much worse.

Yeah its being run at 1680x1050 and 8xAA

I haven't had a whole lot of time to OC the card to is full potential but I find that this is pretty close.

Many people told me that i would see a degredation when i went to a 260 core 216 from my SLI setup. From what I see here though its a pretty good improvement.

·
Premium Member
6,774 Posts
Nice thread

I always love these types of benchies. I always see toms and guru and other sites benching, but I am very skeptical of the results as I feel they are either biased by the company giving them the card, or the fact that first release drivers need some tweaking..

This is definitely a good base for me, as I am probably going to hold off til next gen is released and get either 2 260GTX or a single 280 and use one of my 8800's for PhysX

And what does anyone do at 1280x1024 on this forum (except $tillLegendary) so 1680x1050 is the native res of OC.net

decisions ..... decisions

That 260 + 8800GT for PhysX is looking pretty sweet tho

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
*coughs* I'm still running 1280x1024 *coughs*

My next purchase is going to be a 22" monitor though, maybe 24" by the time i've saved up

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
Lol, was going to say, even I'm getting 9k in 3dmark06 w/ my CPU holding me back. I'm still gonna go SLI though
. I'm just looking forward too much to a 22" widescreen.

·
I TeK things...
17,433 Posts
I have been wondering this for a while now too.....problem is, if I went GTX 260 216, is my 8800GT gonna sell? Is my DFI P35 DK gonna sell? It almost seems like a hassle now to me to SLI my 8800GT. But good tests though.......good to know!

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GeforceGTS
View Post

He's not running it with the standard resolution and settings.

EDIT: Uh I hit 18k with one GTS 512 btw, OC those cards

Actualy no I lie, I think it was 17k, I currently get 18k with my 260. Confused for a second ;]

You hit 18k with one card because you have a quad-core. Drop to a dual-core and you'll lose a few thousand points.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordikon View Post
You hit 18k with one card because you have a quad-core. Drop to a dual-core and you'll lose a few thousand points.
I still find it to be unbelieveable. Proof that you hit 18k with one card and a q6600 at 3.5? cuz that seems to be better than what i hit with a GTX 260 and a Q6600 at 3.4

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SLI_Maniac
View Post

I still find it to be unbelieveable. Proof that you hit 18k with one card and a q6600 at 3.5? cuz that seems to be better than what i hit with a GTX 260 and a Q6600 at 3.4

I need 3.5ghz to hit 18k with my 260, You mean with my old GTS 512 though right?
I hit 18k with the GTS 512 at 840/1840/cantrememberD; and my Q6600 at 3.6ghz.

I'm sure I took screenies at the time, i'll see if I can dig 'em up.

EDIT: I've formatted since and don't have the screenies ;[ I'm sure I posted in a thread somewhere though, i'll have another look.

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Since it won't let me edit my post, i'll correct it before someone jumps on it ;]

I meant 17k with the GTS. Plus I think I misunderstood what you said and totaly confused myself. Nvm. I need to lay off the wacky baccy ;l

Although I might have hit 18k with the GTS I just can't remember ;D I know for sure I got 17k though..

·
Registered
217 Posts
Honestly, I'd always take a good 1/3 or so off the SLI results when weighing up a purchasing decision due to micro stutter and the driver issues you have to deal with. Not to mention the extra heat and power requirements. All told, the faster single card would always be my pick, 9 times out of 10, and the GTX 260 (216) is a great deal, particularly in the US.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts