Overclock.net banner

10th BOINC Pentathlon | May 5th-19th 2019

17343 100

What is this event all about?

The BOINC Pentathlon is a two week long BOINC team competition. Five different projects will be crunched over the two week period.

The BOINC Pentathlon consists of 5 disciplines:

1. Marathon (CPU, 14 days)
  2. Sprint (CPU, 3 days)
  3. City Run (CPU, 5 days)
  4. Cross Country (GPU, 5 days)
  5. Javelin (CPU, 5x1 day)

The fun and challenging aspect of the Pentathlon is resource management. The 5 "disciplines" are run over a 14 day period, so each "discipline" overlaps another discipline. Figuring out what to run, and when to run it, is what makes the Pentathlon a unique and challenging BOINC points race.

• Run-times and projects for each discipline are announced 5 days (Marathon and one other project) or 3 days (Sprint and one other project) before their respective start. Each day of Javelin Throw will be announced three days in advance. Announcements can be found on the, main page, via Blog, or Feed .
  • This allows some time to stock up on completed WU's, but it can also be dangerous if you forget to turn in the completed tasks before the deadline. It also adds another twist to resource management, if you are trying to stockpile WU's, while simultaneously running the current active disciplines.

New to BOINC?

Check out the BOINC Essentials Thread for information about BOINC, how to install and use the BOINC client, and what projects are available on the BOINC platform.

Promote the BOINC Pentathlon in your forum signature!

BBCode:
HTML:
[CENTER]:boxing3:[URL=https://www.overclock.net/forum/365-overclock-net-boinc-team/1724592-10th-boinc-pentathlon-may-5th-19th-2019-a.html][B]10th  BOINC Pentathlon - May 5th-19th,  2019[/B][/URL]:boxing3:[/CENTER]

Disciplines to crunch:

OCN Final Overall Ranking: 11th

Marathon (CPU): World Community Grid | Sub-Project: OpenZika

OCN Final Ranking - 14
Starts: 5/5
Ends: 5/19
Project Support Thread

Sprint (CPU): [email protected]
OCN Final Ranking - 10th
Starts: 5/16
Ends: 5/19
Project Support Thread

City Run (CPU): [email protected]
OCN Final Ranking - 11th
Starts: 5/6
Ends: 5/11
Project Support Thread

Cross Country (GPU): [email protected]
OCN Final Ranking - 10th
Starts: 5/11
Ends: 5/16
Project Support Thread

Javelin Throw (CPU): [email protected]
OCN Final Ranking - 10th
Starts: Various Start Times
Ends: Various End Times
Project Support Thread

Project Choosing Rules
Each team may suggest four Projects while signing up. The projects are assigned to the disciplines as follows:

1. Marathon
    • Subproject of World Community Grid. The project is set by the organizers.
  2. Sprint
    • CPU or GPU with a quorum of 1.
  3. City Run
    • CPU project
  4. Cross Country
    • CPU or GPU project
  5. Javelin Throw
    • CPU or GPU project with a quorum of 1
Each team may cast four votes for projects from the pre-selection below while signing up. These votes will be taken into account for the final project choice. However, only one discipline can take place at a GPU project, and only projects that provide workunits with a quorum of 1 can be chosen for Sprint and Javelin Throw. The projects chosen for the Pentathlon will therefore not necessarily be the four projects with the most votes.

Quorum 1 | CPU: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], SRBase, YAFU, [email protected] | GPU: Collatz Conjecture
Quorum 2 | CPU: *Amicable Numbers, RakeSearch | GPU: [email protected], [email protected]
* Amicable Numbers is listed as a CPU project this year, because the GPU application is relatively inefficient and uses very much CPU time at the moment.
Projects are not eligible if they

• were chosen in last year's Pentathlon ([email protected], [email protected], PrimeGrid, [email protected], [email protected])
  • cannot provide a sufficient number of workunits
  • do not support at least Windows and Linux
  • provide non-CPU-intensive (NCI) applications
  • use buggy or test-only applications
  • do not allow the creation of new accounts
  • do not support WebRPC
To keep it as transparent as possible, we will publish the suggestions of every team when announcing the final project.

OCN Project Nominations:

• Sprint - yoyo
  • City Run - LHC
  • Cross Country - Einstein
  • Javelin Throw - SRBase

To be eligible for the prize drawing, sign up and fill out the form at the following link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd9JrLQr_UWl0FJb7jebsWOPyxHbFX9Aj59Dt9B8AQO0GFnJw/viewform

Prizes Being Donated for the Pentathlon:

$50 Paypal - Donated by Overclock.net
Winner:
$25 Paypal - Donated by Overclock.net
Winner:
Winner:
Winner:

Sponsors:
TBD
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

· ⤷ αC
11,217 Posts
The readership and activity level on OCN has been much lower lately. Don't expect miracles.

· Premium Member
6,192 Posts
[H] has been a great friend to TAAT the last year or more. They have a reputation of...being mouthy, I guess?...but they are good folk, they just have a great disdain for political correctness and such and make that well known. :) SUSA and XS have been teaming up a lot and having their way with our women in various competitions, dictating things to their (rather random) liking(s). I just thought it would be fun to take on a 3-team super power and beat them.

It's good to have friends outside the team. :) Just trying to prevent 100% dominance by one such Super Team....
I particularly did not like how they basically had malware on their site to redirect any Newegg link to other sites all because they were butt hurt. Any editing of user actions like that is a form of malware in my book.

· Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Yikes!!
19:01 RFGuy_KCCO: Yeah, my electric bill this past month was bigger than my mortgage payment.

A few more minutes for [email protected] event end. Get those tasks reported. I had suspended some tasks that were _0 in hopes the _1 and _2 tasks would have a wingman report already. But it wouldn't matter in the grand scheme.

· Registered
2,836 Posts
I have 78 threads Sprinting to the finish on LHC. Unfortunately, my 2P machines were tied up, and those 106 threads were unable to join in on the Pent this time around.

We have made a pretty good showing this year, considering we have somewhere around 20 of who crunched projects for the Pent. :cheers:
Well untie them and set them free! :)

· Registered
94 Posts
The last 48 hours have been intense! :) RK is a surprise, China making the move on Silver for the Marathon, TAAT getting dropped like a hot rock in the overall... I need my motion sickness pills!

Wait, did you hear that? No? Me neither....the fat lady has not yet sung! :)

· BOINC Cruncher
1,972 Posts
I started winding things down yesterday. I shutdown my 2p for the summer last night and I have about half a days worth of NFS still on my desktop. I'll continue with WCG on my Nas.

· Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Good job everybody!

Still bleeding off the remaining work here as well, some of these SSE2 six tracks on my old 2P take forever.

After 3 weeks full tilt probably need to do some dust blowing and topping up reservoirs. Then decide what to shutdown for summer. although it was 32 here this morning and we had some flurries.

· Registered
94 Posts
It was great hanging with you guys again.

Man what an ending in the Marathon, almost 36 hours where 2nd, 3rd, and 4th places were separated by only 10M points, then WHAM, the Chinese Dream joins Team China the last hour and take their bunker with them. Not only knocked TAAT outta 3rd in the Marathon, but bumped us down two places to 5th in the overall. :D (Well, not actually smiling about losing 3rd overall, but I'll get over it.) ;)

· Premium Member
6,192 Posts

Man what an ending in the Marathon, almost 36 hours where 2nd, 3rd, and 4th places were separated by only 10M points, then WHAM, the Chinese Dream joins Team China the last hour and take their bunker with them. Not only knocked TAAT outta 3rd in the Marathon, but bumped us down two places to 5th in the overall. :D (Well, not actually smiling about losing 3rd overall, but I'll get over it.) ;)
That was a big impact at the last hour.

· Registered
2,836 Posts

Always great to have you visit us here in the forums Tony. Another great pentathlon, hope to see you again next year! I may even have some new hardware (still using a 2500k system I built in 2012). Don't be a stranger!

· Just a Crazy Cat in a Box
5,539 Posts
Justing saying congrats to all of ya'll. Hope to see OCN next year in the Pent.

Of course, I forgot to move [email protected] over to LTT. xD :p

81 - 100 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.