Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my CPU stable at 4 GHz a couple days ago, but I used to have it at 4.2 GHz. It became unstable when I installed my new GPU and sound card, and I was wondering if you guys had any ideas.

1100t Stable at 4.0 GHz with 1.42 V Core.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
What GPU did you have before? Could be the additional heat coming from the GPU raising the case ambient temperature, thus increasing the temperature and causing the CPU to require more voltage.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenchler;14226166
My old GPU was a MSI GTX 260. My new one runs cooler.
tongue.gif
Must be the twin 100mm fans.
Well the two fans would be definitely pushing more warm air into the case. Have your temps gotten worse?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, but I am in a warmer room now. So I guess ambient temps have raised. CPU never gets that hot though. I think ambien in my case went up by about 7 C or so.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenchler;14226134
Stable for 12 Hours with Prime95 running. No problems at all at 4.0
That's good to know but i meant the CPU/NB you know the link between the cpu and the memory controller.. stock is 2000mhz you might wanna increase that instead of trying to reach 4.2ghz you will notice better performance if you do get it up to like 2.6-2.7 ghz. I was in the same situation my CPU needs 1.42 V for 4.0ghz and just for going 4.2 needs about 1.5 but If you increase the CPU/NB you get the same speed as running 4.2 ghz hope this helps if now increase the CPU V a bit. By the way you are using the multiplier only right?

Also how hot does it get?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudCR;14226247
but If you increase the CPU/NB you get the same speed as running 4.2 ghz
It will get you much better performance. 4ghz with 2000mhz NB would trump 3.5ghz in benchmarks, but lose massively in games because of the faster NB speed. Even at 2600mhz it would be faster.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Keep on going up on the voltage, I run 1.55v for just 3.7ghz on my C2 stepping Athlon.

What are your HT/NB frequencies like? HT does better staying around 2000-2200mhz and NB makes some nice improvements the higher it gets.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
4.0gh cpu-nb 2000ghz will lose to a setup that clocked at 3.8ghz with cpu-nb 2800ghz. 3.8ghz will feel more snappier and games that use less core gain higher frames.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for not responding, been tied up. I did what Alienman21 said, and my computer is running stable at 4 GHz, and 2800 MHz NB. Thanks for the voltages. Everthing seems a bit more responsive. Thanks guys.
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenchler;14247834
Sorry for not responding, been tied up. I did what Alienman21 said, and my computer is running stable at 4 GHz, and 2800 MHz NB. Thanks for the voltages. Everthing seems a bit more responsive. Thanks guys.
smile.gif
nice to see if worked out for you. nice overclock. =)

·
Not new to overclock.net
1,592 Posts
I had a 1090t on my 790fx msi last year before I blew it up, stuck with a 965be since then, Recently moved to the CH5 with 1100t. I tell you what I noticed right away- the 1090t ran insanely colder and with less voltage than the 1100t. I remember being able to get to 4 at 1.40v, and my 1100t needs 1.48v to do 4013 and [email protected] on the northbridge. Im trying to keep it no hotter than 55 degrees so I probably wont push any more. Ill concentrate the next performance upgrades on an improved graphics card or something, because once you get past 3/3.2ish, it aint gonna do crap for your gaming experience, to be honest. I overclock because I am the type of person that loves to tinker with stuff.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarmageddon88
View Post

I had a 1090t on my 790fx msi last year before I blew it up, stuck with a 965be since then, Recently moved to the CH5 with 1100t. I tell you what I noticed right away- the 1090t ran insanely colder and with less voltage than the 1100t. I remember being able to get to 4 at 1.40v, and my 1100t needs 1.48v to do 4013 and [email protected] on the northbridge. Im trying to keep it no hotter than 55 degrees so I probably wont push any more. Ill concentrate the next performance upgrades on an improved graphics card or something, because once you get past 3/3.2ish, it aint gonna do crap for your gaming experience, to be honest. I overclock because I am the type of person that loves to tinker with stuff.

Must be your chip mate, we have the same motherboard and processor and I'm getting 4.1 at 1.45 :/

1 - 20 of 26 Posts