Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I am building up a budget 1080p gaming/workstation rig. Not planning on overclocking (maybe I shouldn't be asking here then?)
The CPU that I decided to go for is the i5-6500.
The VGA is a GTX 960.

My question is how much bandwidth is necessary for the GTX960, that is, with 6 pci-e 2.0 lanes, will the H110 chipset affect the performance, or should I come up with extra cash for a B150 (8 3.0 lanes) or a H170 (16 3.0)? Keeping a future upgrades in mind too.

Also, this is a Mini-ITX build, therefore only a single graphics card will be present at any time.

·
What should be here ?
5,745 Posts
What is your budget and where do you plan to procure your components from ? As for the topic at hand, I'd get the H170 chipset. You can overclock your locked chip on that board via BIOS that are available.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just realized that I was ******ed and failed to read the fine print. The PCIe lane number listed for each chipset is additional to the PCIe 3.0 16x graphics card lane.
This means that I can basically go for the cheapest H110 chipset as I will only be needing 2 memory slots in this form factor.

My budget is roughly 700eur, which equates to roughly $700. The conversion rate is not precisely that, but it's a good enough estimate. I'll be getting the parts from my local parts store.

What I am going with now is the following:
0103325a7d8ac9e0ed39a16d18a02fb0984.PNG

I won't be needing a hard drive as we have some extras lying around.

·
What should be here ?
5,745 Posts
Do you have any AMD cards in that budget range ? What other choices in PSU's do you have ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At this pricepoint I could go for a R9 380, but I have the impression that the GTX 960 is performing a little bit better. As far as the PSU goes, I can go either a more expensive VGA, like an MSI, which requires a single 8 pin, or go for an equivalent Gigabyte Windforce, which for some reason is ~20 bucks cheaper, but requires 8 pin and 6 pin PCIe power connectors. I'd rather spend this price difference on a better power supply, and the Strider seems like a decent choice.

·
What should be here ?
5,745 Posts
The 380 would be a better fit if you're also trying to be a little future proof as the cards architecture (GCN) can run the much debated Async better than what Nvidia can and considering newer games that come out would start using DX12, I'd rather not go with a maxwell now. What is the price difference between the 2 ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Small enough not to care, 10-20 bucks or so. The budget can be stretched this much. Is there an update coming from Nvidia though? I doubt I will be building this before late May.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
If you can, try fitting a EVGA Supernova G2 550W in your budget. It is around $10 USD more but it's definitely a lot better by a big margin compared to that power supply you've chosen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EVGA Supernova G2 550W is not available locally, and where I can find it, it is way more expensive (~$40 more) than the Silverstone.

However I looked some more into the R9 380 and the reason why I decided with the GTX 960 was a driver problem affecting performance of GTA5, which I'm assuming is not an issue anymore. Given the price similarity, I guess I'll go with the R9 380.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts