Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still on a Q9550 at 3.7Ghz, and I feel absolutely no compulsion to upgrade to an 1155/1366 rig other than for epeen reasons. I'm not CPU bottlenecked by ANYTHING except the final level of Crysis, and do I really want to spend $500 just to play one level of one game at max settings? I get 50fps+ in every other game I own. The responsiveness of my system is limited more by my crappy SSD than my CPU. I don't encode, and benching is pointless.

Back in 2009 I thought, "I'll upgrade to an i7 920 before the end of the year." In 2010, "I'll upgrade to an i7 950", beginning of 2011, "I'll get a 2500k". But my Q9550 keeps chugging and handles everything I've thrown at it.

I think the 1366, 1156, and 1155 platforms are overrated. Yes, you get good CPU performance, but unless you bench or do specific highly threaded apps there's no real world benefit. This whole "2500k/2600k or bust!" mentality is annoying.

·
Registered
189 Posts
For you who already have it maybe yes, it works well, but when people buy a new rig would you still buy Q9550?

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Recluse
View Post

For you who already have it maybe yes, it works well, but when people buy a new rig would you still buy Q9550?

Of course not, but neither should everyone with a high-end 775 system necessarily have to upgrade to an 1155 system.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129
View Post

Of course not, but neither should everyone with a high-end 775 system necessarily have to upgrade to an 1155 system.

It all comes down to how you use your rig.....

I came from a high end 775 system to a 2500k and believe me the difference was well worth the outlay.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I would have to say 1366 isn't over rated as it gets rather great results folding big adv wu (back when the bonuses used to exist) and big beta wu as well. They are really the most cost efficient systems to run for folding (or were when big adv exists, not 100% sure if big beta still is) compared to a gpu farm.

·
Premium Member
10,824 Posts
If it does what you need it to do then that's fine, if you're looking to upgrade people will always recommend sandybridge because of how competative it is in pricing especially with the performance boost you get over an older system. If you need it, you get, if you don't, then keep what you have and be happy.

For some, it's not needed, just a new toy to play with, not that sandy is all that fun, but taking it to it's limit certainly is. lol

·
MEGABYTE ME
2,765 Posts
I see no problem sticking with what works for you. Only time I would suggest a new platform is for somebody needing the power. The Q9550 is still a good chip. Mine still runs 24/7 folding and when I moved from it to a i7 920 I cant say it was necessary or I was immediately wowed aside from benching. Same goes for my move to my current 2600k platform but it was built for fun and I had the money to do it.

I do think the C2Q's are starting to show there age, but not to the point I would consider them useless or tell somebody to ditch it in favor of a new platform unless they need more power. It's still plenty for your average game and everyday use.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I had a 920, but I fried one of the memory slots. I have OCD and one slot being broken killed me. I decided I needed another motherboard. If I was getting another motherboard I mine as well upgrade the CPU. If I'm upgrading the CPU I mine as well upgrade the memory since I will be dual channel now instead of tri channel and I wanted at least 6MB of memory and only had 3x2GB sticks.

Lastly, I wanted the SSD, so I just bought it. I figured with all this new hardware I wanted a better PSU, so I got one.

I had already upgraded the GPU awhile back so I didn't need a new one.

See where this is headed? It went from a broken memory slot to a whole new setup. I'm sure everyone has their own story!

Next I want a 650D instead of my NZXT Zero 2, but I won't do that for a long time.

EDIT: I forgot I had the cheap Asetek LCLC and tossed it a long time ago for the Noctua as well.

·
Banned
1,459 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewy
View Post

It all comes down to how you use your rig.....

I came from a high end 775 system to a 2500k and believe me the difference was well worth the outlay.

This excites me greatly...

·
Banned
1,459 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewy
View Post

Then why does it excite you? so......

Damn dude.... this isn't that hard. You said you saw a tremendous difference between going from 775 to the 1155 so me, being a 775 owner and just jumped ship with ordering a 1155 setup am now excited. Go easy on the tea for a bit methinks...

1 - 20 of 85 Posts