Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I currently have the 3770K overclocked to 4.5GHz stable with Gigabyte Z77 D3H motherboard but I'm going to downsize to mATX and I think only Z77, Z68 and P67 motherboards can support overclocking but correct me if I'm wrong.

These are the motherboards that I can find second hand but which one is better and can achieve the same overclock as my Gigabyte Z77 D3H motherboard?

Asus P8Z77-M
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H
MSI Z77MA-G45
Asus P8Z68-M
Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z68
Asus P8P67-M

Cheers guys

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Stick with Z77 it won't need a BIOS update for your chip and has more of pretty much everything by comparison being a newer chip-set.

Of the ones you listed I'd go with the ASUS P8Z77M
The lack of VRM cooling on the gigabyte and the 4-pin on the MSI always perturbed me

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_van View Post

Stick with Z77 it won't need a BIOS update for your chip and has more of pretty much everything by comparison being a newer chip-set.

Of the ones you listed I'd go with the ASUS P8Z77M
The lack of VRM cooling on the gigabyte and the 4-pin on the MSI always perturbed me
I found a Asus Maximus V Gene motherboard for £135 ($200) and the ASUS P8Z77M for £85 ($125) but if I upgrade to Skylake and sell my CPU, motherboard and RAM, I just need to add about £100 ($145) extra on top for the new system so which route should I go?

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Keep your costs lower if you're going to buy used parts, maybe you could find someone here on OCN who'd be willing to ship to you.
I'd just go with the P8ZZM given the pricing you're looking at just for form factor change on older parts.

As for a full upgrade, entirely up to you man.
I'm no goingt bother yet myself as a 3770K (same clocks as yours) has zero problems with playing anything out there right now.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_van View Post

Keep your costs lower if you're going to buy used parts, maybe you could find someone here on OCN who'd be willing to ship to you.
I'd just go with the P8ZZM given the pricing you're looking at just for form factor change on older parts.
The P8Z77M for £85 ($125) seller is outside the UK so I would need to pay custom fees and the same with buying it from OCN which is why I was thinking of upgrading to Skylake for about £100 ($145) extra.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts