Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I recently started to help my friend with his computer.
This is his rig:

CPU TypeDualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E4600
CPU VID1.1875 V
Motherboard NameAsus P5SD2-VM
DIMM2: Kingston (2 GB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
PSU: Systems Poderal Maximo
now, It has two modes: 115V 60HZ 6A or 230V 50HZ 3A
currently, the PSU is set to 115V 60HZ 6A
We are in America, Mexico, D.F(Mexico City)

There are some wierd issues, Like when I plug the PSU to the energy source, the computer won't start when i click the start button.
It will start some time later (15 seconds or so)
And It recently did some nasty BSODS randomally.

My question is, Something will happen if i will set the PSU to 230V 50HZ 3A?
Should I get new psu?
will the PSU blow if ill move it on 230V 50HZ?
(I Had some bad experience with that, like 5 years ago i moved the psu channel and it started to smoke badly and died.)

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Oh, Those settings are for 2 different areas of the world. Europe runs on 220v while the USA uses 120v. Do you know the voltage that your country uses? Because if it is 220v and you have the PSU set on 120, then your PSU will fry.

Also, the voltage is not nearly as important as the wattage of the PSU. What is the wattage for that PSU?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,940 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by p11ma View Post
Hello,
I recently started to help my friend with his computer.
This is his rig:

CPU Type DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E4600
CPU VID 1.1875 V
Motherboard Name Asus P5SD2-VM
DIMM2: Kingston (2 GB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
PSU: Systems Poderal Maximo
now, It has two modes: 115V 60HZ 6A or 230V 50HZ 3A
currently, the PSU is set to 115V 60HZ 6A
We are in America, Mexico, D.F(Mexico City)

There are some wierd issues, Like when I plug the PSU to the energy source, the computer won't start when i click the start button.
It will start some time later (15 seconds or so)
And It recently did some nasty BSODS randomally.

My question is, Something will happen if i will set the PSU to 230V 50HZ 3A?
Should I get new psu?
will the PSU blow if ill move it on 230V 50HZ?
(I Had some bad experience with that, like 5 years ago i moved the psu channel and it started to smoke badly and died.)
I recommend doing some research to see if it needs to be set to 230. It sounds like it either needs to be switched to 230V, or the PSU is not powerful enough. And judging from how generic the name of the PSU sounds, I am willing to bet that the PSU is being stretched to its limits.

• Rep+
Reactions: Traeumt

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well its 400W psu, But the pc acts wierd, it has some bad delay from the moment i connect it to a power source until the computer starts, and sometimes it starts but won't post, and it looks like the CD ROM tries to work but no post, and then i disconnect the cd rom and it works. what could that be?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,940 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by p11ma View Post
well its 400W psu, But the pc acts wierd, it has some bad delay from the moment i connect it to a power source until the computer starts, and sometimes it starts but won't post, and it looks like the CD ROM tries to work but no post, and then i disconnect the cd rom and it works. what could that be?
Either a bad cable for the CD-ROM drive or a bad CD-ROM drive (maybe).

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
Don't switch it! That is NOT your problem! If the computer actually turns on with it set at 115v, then that is the CORRECT voltage! If you switch it, the PSU will go out with a bang (literally).

The problem is elsewhere, and might be difficult to find without regular symptoms to look at. We could help you more if you described all of the symptoms in detail.

Is the computer accessing the HDD or using 100% of the processor after you click on the start menu? Sometimes, general "slowness" from a computer being old and the HDD being full can cause start menu lag. Or you might be looking at some sort of virus/malware infection. If the BSOD's are indeed random (i.e. not tied to any particular application), then you're looking at bad ram, HDD, processor, motherboard or PSU. Basically, anything. If you can grab the exact stop codes from those BSOD's (i.e. 0x00008788 or something) and google it, sometimes you can find a good deal of information on what the problem might be.

Good luck.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtSpike
View Post

Don't switch it! That is NOT your problem! If the computer actually turns on with it set at 115v, then that is the CORRECT voltage! If you switch it, the PSU will go out with a bang (literally).

The problem is elsewhere, and might be difficult to find without regular symptoms to look at. We could help you more if you described all of the symptoms in detail.

Is the computer accessing the HDD or using 100% of the processor after you click on the start menu? Sometimes, general "slowness" from a computer being old and the HDD being full can cause start menu lag. Or you might be looking at some sort of virus/malware infection. If the BSOD's are indeed random (i.e. not tied to any particular application), then you're looking at bad ram, HDD, processor, motherboard or PSU. Basically, anything. If you can grab the exact stop codes from those BSOD's (i.e. 0x00008788 or something) and google it, sometimes you can find a good deal of information on what the problem might be.

Good luck.

Great points you've got there.
Ok.
At first, the computer didn't go to windows at all, I tried to format but it gave me BSOD while formatting ( i think it was x00000050 or 20 in the end)
I searched it on the web and I saw many people thought it is a RAM problem.
I ran memtest+ 11 tests and all seemed to be working good.
I bought new HDD, at first it gave me these errors again after the format, but so far no BSODS.
Now my problem is this:
1st: when I turn the power off the computer, and off the wall, and put it back, the motherboard light turns on, but the computer won't respond when I click it to turn it on. only randomally after some time it will start up, and sometimes it won't start with post, only after i turn it on and off it will post.
I have no problems then that.
do you have any idea?

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
Well, that problem sounds motherboard related to me. If you have another motherboard you can try in that computer, swap them out and give it a try. Since it is rather random when it posts and when it does not, I would say that your ram/processor are fine. I suppose it still could be the PSU, but I doubt it. I would most likely pin the problem on a going-bad motherboard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts