Overclock.net banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· An Internet Lurker
287 Posts
Yikes, that's a lot of RAM usage. I just upgraded the RAM in my desktop and laptop, but the laptop only supports a max of 16GB, and it's sitting at about 12.6GB used.

Also I just got that laptop upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, and now BOINC thinks the computer is constantly in use. I should look into that at some point.

· Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yikes, that's a lot of RAM usage. I just upgraded the RAM in my desktop and laptop, but the laptop only supports a max of 16GB, and it's sitting at about 12.6GB used.

Also I just got that laptop upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, and now BOINC thinks the computer is constantly in use. I should look into that at some point.

There must be something polling in the background (looking at you GNOME). I'm guessing you just changed your settings to use BOINC regardless of if the computer is in use, and/or changed the threshold for when BOINC runs? If your battery is doing OK, I would say it's likely an issue with the latest BOINC client's idle detection, but I haven't ran BOINC on my laptop since last year's Pent.

· An Internet Lurker
287 Posts
There must be something polling in the background (looking at you GNOME). I'm guessing you just changed your settings to use BOINC regardless of if the computer is in use, and/or changed the threshold for when BOINC runs? If your battery is doing OK, I would say it's likely an issue with the latest BOINC client's idle detection, but I haven't ran BOINC on my laptop since last year's Pent.
I just chose "Run always", "Use GPU always", and "Network activity always" from the Activity drop-down, and adjusted my in-use RAM settings. It still detects when the laptop is on battery power. I'll poke around eventually, but this laptop just sits closed on a cooling pad all day anyway. My college classes all moved online, so I don't use my laptops that much right now.

In previous versions, I've had issues where BOINC never realizes the computer is in use. It's interesting to see the opposite problem this time.

· An Internet Lurker
287 Posts
BOINC gets it's "PC in use" from the OS
On the forums someone said it gets the "in use" from HIDs. I'm guessing either Ubuntu or BOINC changed something and now it can't properly read the keyboard/mouse. Hopefully there's a fix or workaround for it, considering this is an LTS release.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.