Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

What is this event all about?

The BOINC Pentathlon is a two week long BOINC team competition. Five different projects will be crunched over the two week period.

The BOINC Pentathlon consists of 5 disciplines:

1. Marathon (14 days)
  2. Sprint (3 days)
  3. City Run (5 days)
  4. Cross Country (5 days)
  5. Javelin (5x1 day, only each team's third best daily score counts)

The fun and challenging aspect of the Pentathlon is resource management. The 5 "disciplines" are run over a 14 day period, so each "discipline" overlaps another discipline. Figuring out what to run, and when to run it, is what makes the Pentathlon a unique and challenging BOINC points race.

• Run-times and projects for each discipline are announced 5 days (Marathon and one other project) or 3 days (Sprint and one other project) before their respective start. Each day of Javelin Throw will be announced three days in advance. Announcements can be found on the, main page, via Blog, or Feed .
  • This allows some time to stock up on completed WU's, but it can also be dangerous if you forget to turn in the completed tasks before the deadline. It also adds another twist to resource management, if you are trying to stockpile WU's, while simultaneously running the current active disciplines.

New to BOINC?

Check out the BOINC Essentials Thread for information about BOINC, how to install and use the BOINC client, and what projects are available on the BOINC platform.

Promote the BOINC Pentathlon in your forum signature!

:boxing3: 11th BOINC Pentathlon - May 5th-19th, 2020 :boxing3:

BBCode:
HTML:
[CENTER]:boxing3:[URL=https://www.overclock.net/forum/18057-boinc-staff/1746216-11th-boinc-pentathlon.html#post28418584][B]11th BOINC Pentathlon - May 5th-19th, 2020[/B][/URL]:boxing3:[/CENTER]

Disciplines to crunch:

OCN Final Overall Ranking: TBD

Marathon: [email protected]

OCN Final Ranking - TBD
Starts: 5/5
Ends: 5/19
Project Support Thread

Sprint: Ibercivis
OCN Final Ranking - TBD
Starts: 5/16
Ends: 5/19
Project Support Thread

City Run: [email protected]
OCN Final Ranking - 10
Starts: 5/7
Ends: 5/12
Project Support Thread

Cross Country: Amicable Numbers
OCN Final Ranking - TBD
Starts: 5/12
Ends: 5/17
Project Support Thread

Javelin Throw: [email protected]
OCN Final Ranking - TBD
Starts: Various Start Times
Ends: Various End Times
Project Support Thread

Project Choosing Rules

The biggest change to the Pentathlon this year is how the projects will be chosen.
  • The projects for this year's Pentathlon will be chosen by the event organizers
  • Projects from last year's Pentathlon are eligible for this year's Pentathlon
  • There may be more than one GPU project

To be eligible for the prize drawing and to have your individual stats tracked, sign up and fill out the form at the following link:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...xHbFX9Aj59Dt9B8AQO0GFnJw/viewform?usp=sf_link

Prizes Being Donated for the Pentathlon:
1x $75 Paypal - Donated by Overclock.net
3x $50 Paypal - Donated by Overclock.net
6x $25 Paypal - Donated by Overclock.net

·
OC...D
28,108 Posts
I'll try to help where I can... I never did get that bunkering thing tho. :eek:

·
An Internet Lurker
286 Posts
Wow, I haven't been here in so long. I've been on-and-off crunching, but I think I'm back to full-time status for a while. I just got a gaming laptop from a friend, and it almost out-specs my desktop!

If it's not too off-topic, how's everyone doing? Seems like it's been really quiet, with a lot of inactive/lurking users.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
Sub!

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll try to help where I can... I never did get that bunkering thing tho. :eek:
Not a big deal, any work done goes to the total. :thumb:

Yay pentathlon time! I've been running rosetta for the covid projects. Hopefully there's a big push for rosetta.
With the projects being picked by the organizers, it will be interesting to see what we are running.

Wow, I haven't been here in so long. I've been on-and-off crunching, but I think I'm back to full-time status for a while. I just got a gaming laptop from a friend, and it almost out-specs my desktop!

If it's not too off-topic, how's everyone doing? Seems like it's been really quiet, with a lot of inactive/lurking users.
Traffic on OCN has gone way down in the last two years. Glad to see you back for the Pent. :D

I'm in - lets put my 6900k, 3770, 4770, 5930k's to work
:cheers:

·
PC Cannibal
10,284 Posts
Now I need to find or just make mounting hardware to slap a 120mm AiO on the 3770 since the little cooler on it will not hold up (even for a locked cpu, that sucker gets warm). Also I guess I might try a delid on it and the 4770 - might as well practice on those at least.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
1,688 Posts
So the marathon project is Rosetta. Be careful to monitor your RAM use everyone, some Rosetta tasks can take up to 2 GB lately. It seems to be the COVID tasks in particular.

With many cores it easily adds up to a system's worth of RAM and can cause your tasks to error from "out of memory". But this has only happened to me running many COVID tasks at once.

An easy way to deal with this is to limit RAM use in BOINC, I'm limiting it to 80% on my gaming computer and 90% on my dedicated BOINC computer.

·
Once more into the Fold
2,931 Posts
So the marathon project is Rosetta. Be careful to monitor your RAM use everyone, some Rosetta tasks can take up to 2 GB lately. It seems to be the COVID tasks in particular.

With many cores it easily adds up to a system's worth of RAM and can cause your tasks to error from "out of memory". But this has only happened to me running many COVID tasks at once.

An easy way to deal with this is to limit RAM use in BOINC, I'm limiting it to 80% on my gaming computer and 90% on my dedicated BOINC computer.
I had this issue awhile back running 6 cores on my 4790K with 4GB, came home one day and my HDD was running endlessly. Looked into the process manager and it was writing to the page file like crazy. So I upgraded the RAM! Using 8GB and havent had an issue yet.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
1,688 Posts
I had this issue awhile back running 6 cores on my 4790K with 4GB, came home one day and my HDD was running endlessly. Looked into the process manager and it was writing to the page file like crazy. So I upgraded the RAM! Using 8GB and havent had an issue yet.
I should definitely upgrade the RAM on my BOINC computer. It's an R7 1700 with 8 GB of RAM. I built it that way because outside of the Pentathlon I only run WCG Mapping Cancer Markers on it, which takes very little RAM.

As for my gaming PC, it's an R5 3600 with 16 GB of RAM. That's pretty well rounded, but occasionally it was getting too many COVID units to handle. It seems okay at the moment for using all 12 threads, though.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Making the Marathon thread now, but heads to everyone that if you start piling up tasks now, they won't count for the Pent.

Current deadline for all of the tasks that I already had and the ones I just grabbed is 5/2.

·
Once more into the Fold
2,931 Posts
I should definitely upgrade the RAM on my BOINC computer. It's an R7 1700 with 8 GB of RAM. I built it that way because outside of the Pentathlon I only run WCG Mapping Cancer Markers on it, which takes very little RAM.

As for my gaming PC, it's an R5 3600 with 16 GB of RAM. That's pretty well rounded, but occasionally it was getting too many COVID units to handle. It seems okay at the moment for using all 12 threads, though.
Thanks for the heads up. I just added a R7 1700 rig to my arsenal. I will have to keep an eye on that after its all up and running.

·
OC...D
28,108 Posts
@tictoc

Dude - I'm gonna need a tutorial on how to "productively" contribute to this (again). :eek:

1 - 20 of 145 Posts