Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the difference between 120 and 60 hz and what is the difference between a direct white cable plugging directly into the video card with DVI or a blue cable with an adapter to plug into the video card?

·
Registered
693 Posts
The 60 or 120 stands for how many times per second that the screen is refreshed. Going from 60hz -120hz will result in a smoother experience in games as long as you have a strong enough GPU to push 120fps. You will also notice it when dragging items around on the desktop, it just feels nicer and more buttery
biggrin.gif
The blue cable you speak of is a VGA cable I think and can't be used when running 120hz, dual link DVI will be able to support the higher bandwidth at high resolutions like 1080p and so will a DisplayPort. Using the blue VGA cable with a DVI adapter will also not work.

Example of a VGA cable

Hope I helped clear some stuff up for you.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedJesus View Post

The 60 or 120 stands for how many times per second that the screen is refreshed. Going from 60hz -120hz will result in a smoother experience in games as long as you have a strong enough GPU to push 120fps. You will also notice it when dragging items around on the desktop, it just feels nicer and more buttery
biggrin.gif
The blue cable you speak of is a VGA cable I think and can't be used when running 120hz, dual link DVI will be able to support the higher bandwidth at high resolutions like 1080p and so will a DisplayPort. Using the blue VGA cable with a DVI adapter will also not work.
Hope I helped clear some stuff up for you.
So is there a "best" cable or setup?

·
Registered
693 Posts
For the average person there wouldn't really be much difference between DVI, DP or DVI other than the fact that the latter two can also transfer audio. For extremely high res monitors and 120hz+ I think that DisplayPort may have the edge and certainly will in the future but at the minute I wouldn't worry too much about it. Very few, if any, monitors would actualy make use of DP rather than dual link DVI. The only other thing that would come in handy is the auxiliary channel of a DisplayPort connection can be scaled to accept additional signals via USB. This means a single connection to your desktop monitor could also take care of a microphone and webcam as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts