Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a tower cooler to (almost) fit my 4u case. It's an arctic sonething-or-other at 145mm height, and I would be happy to replace it with something better, but I can't seem to find anything that is clearly better. I would need single tower, dual fan.

So, in the meantime I've been searching for new fans for the existing cooler. The one fan it came with hits 2700 rpm, and isn't that loud. It's actually pretty impressive.

I added a 1800 rpm fan to it initially, and decided to swap that with a matching 2700 rpm fan, but couldn't find one.

So I bought a couple of 3000 rpm Noctua fans, and now I'm all set... except when they arrive I realize they are for industrial applications, and I should have read the description more carefully. Even at 800 rpm, these fans are louder than the originals.

So I'm back to shopping for a matching fan, and most seem to max out at 1800-2000 rpm, or they are the industrial/asic miner variety.

Can anyone recommend me some fans? Thanks in advance.

·
Vandelay Industries
2,482 Posts
Not sure what problem you are trying to fix? Artic make good fans. Single tower coolers will only cool so well. You'll very quickly get into margin of error improvements and it's simply not worth trying to upgrade something that's already tapped out.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I bought a tower cooler to (almost) fit my 4u case. It's an arctic sonething-or-other at 145mm height, and I would be happy to replace it with something better, but I can't seem to find anything that is clearly better. I would need single tower, dual fan.

So, in the meantime I've been searching for new fans for the existing cooler. The one fan it came with hits 2700 rpm, and isn't that loud. It's actually pretty impressive.

I added a 1800 rpm fan to it initially, and decided to swap that with a matching 2700 rpm fan, but couldn't find one.

So I bought a couple of 3000 rpm Noctua fans, and now I'm all set... except when they arrive I realize they are for industrial applications, and I should have read the description more carefully. Even at 800 rpm, these fans are louder than the originals.

So I'm back to shopping for a matching fan, and most seem to max out at 1800-2000 rpm, or they are the industrial/asic miner variety.

usually case, cooler, and fans goes hand in hand and must be planned in advance for them.
Ppl usually do what you do, and they get avg performance or unexpected results, poor value, or no upgradebility.

What case, cooler, CPU and GPU do you have?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Not sure what problem you are trying to fix? Artic make good fans. Single tower coolers will only cool so well. You'll very quickly get into margin of error improvements and it's simply not worth trying to upgrade something that's already tapped out.
Usually that happens cus the heat load is not enough, not because you use its full thermal capacity. Your most avg 4 heatpipes 500gr and 120mm fan, will go to 130-150 and even beyond that if the heat transfer is good and you optimize your case well. Most ppl use hovers around 100w or bellow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure what problem you are trying to fix?
snip

snip

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
usually case, cooler, and fans goes hand in hand and must be planned in advance for them.
Ppl usually do what you do, and they get avg performance or unexpected results, poor value, or no upgradebility.

What case, cooler, CPU and GPU do you have?
I have a generic 4U case, an Arctic TR33, CPU is a 1950x, and I have a 1080ti and 1070 in there, which don't get much use. The fan that comes on the TR33 now is red on black, and maxes out at 1800 rpm. The fan that came with mine is the 2700 rpm model that I mentioned, and is beige on black (unless I swapped it with another Arctic brand fan and can't recall, which is unlikely because I've always just bought Noctua fans and been done with it.)

Considering I'm hitting 4ghz without throttling at 100% utilization, I'd say I'm getting pretty good performance on my 1950x. I'm not interested in trying to squeeze out more hz or push the system to the limit. I'd just like to keep the temps a few C cooler, by finding a matching 2700 rpm fan.

It's harder than it sounds. Arctic appears not to sell it separately or bundled with the cooler anymore, and I can't find another fan like it anywhere. The existing fan is quiet and effective, and it makes me wonder why everyone is not using one.

By the way, I wouldn't mind upgrading the cooler. That was always the plan, but it works pretty well. The problem is that I have a height budget of around 145 mm. Since this cooler works OK, and I can't fit an AIO 2 x 120mm in the case without modding it, I'm inclined to just keep using it. I know there are some other 145mm coolers out there, but from what I can find I'm seeing only single-fan.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Well, you gonna wait a lot more for the mod to clear it. Get a pair for arctic p12 or similar radiator fans. The f12 from noctua are noisy AF
Also considering the cooler comes with a fan rated at 2700rpm, which is a lot, adding 1 more in push pull is not gonna do much with a heatsink that tiny.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Whats wrong with Noctua A12 or F12? I think F12 is supposed to be slightly better at static pressure, which is what you want for radiators/heatsinks. Only downside is Noctua is pricy, and used to only come in the ugly beige/tan color but over the years I have built up a big collection of them. Arctic P12 is a better budget brand. Cougar Vortex are decent too.

Just put one on each side so air goes straight through it (called push/pull). Don't go by RPM alone..it doesn't mean much. And in all honesty, the difference in performance between different fans on a tower cooler is miniscule. Like 1-2C at most. The point of the fan is to keep air from stagnating and building up heat. Heat doesn't dissipate from large CPU heatsinks quickly enough that the actual flow of air really matters much, it just needs SOME. So I always go for something mostly silent.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Whats wrong with Noctua A12 or F12? I think F12 is supposed to be slightly better at static pressure, which is what you want for radiators/heatsinks. Only downside is Noctua is pricy, and used to only come in the ugly beige/tan color but over the years I have built up a big collection of them. Arctic P12 is a better budget brand. Cougar Vortex are decent too.

Just put one on each side so air goes straight through it (called push/pull). Don't go by RPM alone..it doesn't mean much. And in all honesty, the difference in performance between different fans on a tower cooler is miniscule. Like 1-2C at most. The point of the fan is to keep air from stagnating and building up heat. Heat doesn't dissipate from large CPU heatsinks quickly enough that the actual flow of air really matters much, it just needs SOME. So I always go for something mostly silent.
f12 is a all purpose fan that is loud and inefficient. A12x25 is a static pressure fan exclusively for radiators. They couldnt be more different.
That being said, since this new wave of fans with the style of the nidec GT are so silent at the same RPM as the F12 type of fan, they do decent as case fans, and do great in small spaces. The arctic p12 falls into the same category. Noactua is 1-2% better, but costs 5 times as much as the p12, cus they are made from magic sauce.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The arctic p12 falls into the same category. Noactua is 1-2% better, but costs 5 times as much as the p12, cus they are made from magic sauce.
You pay extra for quality control and longevity in case of Noctua .
While ur Noctua fans will last for 6years at least , the P12 will die in 1-2. And Noctua always sounds the same no matter how many pieces you buy . When it comes to P12 ,there is a well known rpm range when it has harminic resonance issues and sounds like a jet engine, and its different for each fan, its pain in the arse to find it , especially if u have multiple fans.
For example one of my P12 has this rpm range from 960-1080ish ,the other does the bad sound and 920-1000 rpm the .
Yes P12 is good for the price , and i bought "some" for myself too :

p12.jpg
But if somebody wants trouble free plug&play and forget it fan , you go for Noctua or BQ SW3

·
Registered
739 Posts
While ur Noctua fans will last for 6years at least , the P12 will die in 1-2. And Noctua always sounds the same no matter how many pieces you buy . When it comes to P12 ,there is a well known rpm range when it has harminic resonance issues and sounds like a jet engine, and its different for each fan, its pain in the arse to find it , especially if u have multiple fans.
For example one of my P12 has this rpm range from 960-1080ish ,the other does the bad sound and 920-1000 rpm the .

View attachment 2517850
But if somebody wants trouble free plug&play and forget it fan , you go for Noctua or BQ SW3
I have both noctua and be quiet in my systems, but i still stand behind my recommendation.

Yes it has that defect, but you can easily bypass it. For the use case of the op, he will either keep them at 500-600rpm at idle or 1200-1800rpm at load. Yes 900-1k rpm is usually the balanced speed between noise/performance for a case fan, but these produce the same level of noise well past 1200rpm, compared to your usual sw3 for example, and since they're a more closed type of fan, you will actually want them at high speed to suck and displace air, even more so, considering the type of case he has.

Regarding your comment about durability, it's based on beliefs not data. P12 fans have too little time in the market to actually know how much they last, noctua and be quiet aren't fail proof (one of my sw3 140mm started spewing reading speeds above 10000 within 6 months of use). It's not a problem since it works normally without any other issue, but still), and even if they go bad, at how much they cost, it will still be cheaper replacing them than paying 30+ for a A12X25.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
418 Posts
f12 is a all purpose fan that is loud and inefficient. A12x25 is a static pressure fan exclusively for radiators. They couldnt be more different.
I disagree with this generalization. After using a range of Noctua 120mm fans, ranging from the NF-S12, NF-F12, old-school discontinued NF-P12 and NF-A12x25, I have to say that the NF-A12x25 is one of those jack of all trades, master of all fans. The weakness of the NF-A12 is the high price. I'm running 2x NF-A12x25 PWM on my heatsink to cool my 5900X. It's a great silent fan! And the reliability should be good, as I had run my original NF-P12 for 13 years, 24x7 for about 11 months a year.

• Rep+
Reactions: Dogzilla07

·
Registered
418 Posts
Wonder what did Noctua do the P12 to cause that issue. I bought my two NF-P12 back in 2008, and they are still fine, running quietly even after going 24x7 for 11 months out of a year and I only retired them back in January 2021 after switching to NF-A12x25.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Wonder what did Noctua do the P12 to cause that issue. I bought my two NF-P12 back in 2008, and they are still fine, running quietly even after going 24x7 for 11 months out of a year and I only retired them back in January 2021 after switching to NF-A12x25.
We're talking about arctic p12

·
Registered
739 Posts
I disagree with this generalization. After using a range of Noctua 120mm fans, ranging from the NF-S12, NF-F12, old-school discontinued NF-P12 and NF-A12x25, I have to say that the NF-A12x25 is one of those jack of all trades, master of all fans. The weakness of the NF-A12 is the high price. I'm running 2x NF-A12x25 PWM on my heatsink to cool my 5900X. It's a great silent fan! And the reliability should be good, as I had run my original NF-P12 for 13 years, 24x7 for about 11 months a year.
Read again my comment. I explain why the A12x25 works as a case fan too, and pretty well i might say. In some instances is better than others.
It's not as good as a sw3 tho in a mesh case for example at similar low noise threshold. Cus the impeller it's closed in and you need speed to move high quantity of air unlike with a sw3.
However, it might be better at high noise threshold with a case like a fractal define with solid front panel due to its high static pressure and low noise, since at that point you have the sw3 running at 1500rpm and the A12x25 at 2k for the same noise level, which is why they're so great for radiators.

·
Premium Member
27,671 Posts
Peeps pay extra for Noctua because of name.
Noctua charges extra because many consumers think paying more means better quality. It does not.

That said, Noctua have one of the best if not best customer support of any company out there.

Most Noctua products cost 2-3 times more than other brands with same performance and life span.

·
Registered
418 Posts
We're talking about arctic p12

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing up my confusion.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Peeps pay extra for Noctua because of name.
Noctua charges extra because many consumers think paying more means better quality. It does not.
Noctua fans have been the only one that have been able to run non-stop for me for 13 years. So I'd back them. No other fan has been able to do this since my Pentium 66 days.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,802 Posts
Noctua fans have been the only one that have been able to run non-stop for me for 13 years. So I'd back them. No other fan has been able to do this since my Pentium 66 days.
As much as I am not on the Noctua train, I have had dozens and there is absolutely no disputing their quality. They aren't my fan of choice in most cases (but I have also yet to try and test the A12X25), but I wholly understand why they would be for many. Excepting the industrials which make very little sense in computer applications given their noise and performance relative to other available high speed fans.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts