Overclock.net banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,648 Posts
Noctua fans have been the only one that have been able to run non-stop for me for 13 years. So I'd back them. No other fan has been able to do this since my Pentium 66 days.
So? I didn't say Noctua were bad, just over-priced. I have Thermalright TY-140 and TY-143 fans that have been running non-stop for similar number of years .. as well as some GTs and a few others. TY-140 were £3-4 each, TY-143 were about £6 each, can't remember what GTs cost me. That's 1/3rd to 1/5th what Noc's cost at the time. Go-to low cost fans of today are Arctic P series at £4-6 each compared to similar performing Noc's being several times more money. Even if P series fail in 5 + years, that's still cheaper over 10-15 years of use than a Noc. Keep in mind it's £5 each now and them 5-6 years from now anther £5-6 instead of £15-27 for Noc today. I would much rather pay £6 today and maybe again in 5-9 years than £20 today and hop it lasts 13+ years.

Also, Nocs are not the only good quality fans out there. Others ilke Thermalright TY-147A, TY-147A SQ, Phanteks PH-F140MP PH-F140SP and GTs to name only a few last a long, long time too.

·
Iconoclast
31,226 Posts
The one fan it came with hits 2700 rpm, and isn't that loud. It's actually pretty impressive.
Arctic doesn't make any 2700 rpm 120mm fans and while there can be considerable variance between noise levels of different fans at the same rpm, there also aren't any 2700rpm 120mm fans that are anything short of loud.

As far as I can tell the Arctic TR33 only ever came with a BionX F120 fan that was rated for a maximum rpm of 1800. They still sell this fan, but an Arctic P12, BioniX P120, Noctua A12x25, or Nidec GT 2200 would be a direct upgrade.

·
Registered
936 Posts
So I bought a couple of 3000 rpm Noctua fans, and now I'm all set... except when they arrive I realize they are for industrial applications, and I should have read the description more carefully. Even at 800 rpm, these fans are louder than the originals.
For your information, neither us working with industrial applications, we do not trust Noctua.
You better post few pictures of your PC case, if you are interested for further tips about improvements.
Removal of unneeded DC fans this is also a step of progress.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
You pay extra for quality control and longevity in case of Noctua .
While ur Noctua fans will last for 6years at least , the P12 will die in 1-2. And Noctua always sounds the same no matter how many pieces you buy . When it comes to P12 ,there is a well known rpm range when it has harminic resonance issues and sounds like a jet engine, and its different for each fan, its pain in the arse to find it , especially if u have multiple fans.
lolz any data on P12 fans only lasting 1-2 years?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts

·
Iconoclast
31,226 Posts
I have fifteen Arctic P12s and seven P14s (including a handful of the CO ball bearing versions of both), some of them over two years old at this point. Haven't had any DOAs or any die yet.

None of my Noctua A12x25s have died either, but I have certainly had other Noctua fans fail, sometimes in short order.

Anyway, I don't have enough of any fans for my anecdotal experiences to constitute a robust statistical base. I would not be surprise if the failure rate of Noctua fans was lower than Arctics, but I doubt it's a five fold difference, or that the annualized failure rate of even the cheapest Arctics are beyond the single digit percentages.

·
Moderately Ancient
372 Posts
You pay extra for quality control and longevity in case of Noctua .
While ur Noctua fans will last for 6years at least , the P12 will die in 1-2.
You don't need to spend a fortune on fans for them to be good quality and last a long time. Noctua are "boutique" fans where you pay a premium for fancy packaging, accessories, and marketing. Don't get me wrong, i've got a couple of their iPPC fans, and they're great, i just think $30 for a fan is a bit ridiculous. Both my noctua fans have been running 24/7 for about 8 years now but so have my 120mm Fractal Venturi radiator fans. Heck, i've got some Panasonic Panaflo fans that have been running about 15 years now nonstop and not one has crapped out. I just blow out the computer cases with my air compressor every few months, making sure to not spin the blades with the air pressure since you can damage bearings doing that.

·
Moderately Ancient
372 Posts
Noctua fans have been the only one that have been able to run non-stop for me for 13 years. So I'd back them. No other fan has been able to do this since my Pentium 66 days.
Any brand that originated from the industrial/server side of computing will last that long. Delta, Sunon, SanAce, Nidec, etc. While they're all known for their ear splitting finger removers, their low rpm pwm fans in the 2000-2700rpm range when slowed down a bit to match typical PC fan speeds typically have higher airflow and static pressure. I recently got a couple 120mm Sunon Maglev fans for ventilating the cabinet of my home theater setup and at 1500rpm they destroy my noctuas.

·
Fix it till its broke
994 Posts
I have been trying to tell people for years that industrials are the way to go. Sure they can be loud.. but you can set speeds.. and not all of them are loud. I have 4x 120x38s in my case.. quiet enough to watch tv.. I am running them @ 7v right now. My iPPC's are much louder at full gallop. People are like.. anything more than 500rpm is too much! Lol go back to sleep :)

Silence and high performance almost never go hand in hand.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have been trying to tell people for years that industrials are the way to go. Sure they can be loud.. but you can set speeds.. and not all of them are loud. I have 4x 120x38s in my case.. quiet enough to watch tv.. I am running them @ 7v right now. My iPPC's are much louder at full gallop. People are like.. anything more than 500rpm is too much! Lol go back to sleep :)

Silence and high performance almost never go hand in hand.
all core 4.5ghz and 4.8ghz on a 5900x, it's not a lot of performance difference, but it's the difference between being able to run it at 32dba instead of 38-40. It's quite a lot of difference when you have it in the bedroom and you use it as a TV while at load.

Having it running inaudible, while doing easy stuff after 10pm, when the ambient noise floor drops it's another advantage aswell.

·
Iconoclast
31,226 Posts
I have been trying to tell people for years that industrials are the way to go. Sure they can be loud.. but you can set speeds.. and not all of them are loud.
They are some of my least favorite fans.

It's not just that they are loud at full speed, it's that they are louder than pretty much every model of fan that I've purchased more than once at the same airflow. The number of scenarios where the iPPCs are more useful, or more economical, than something else is vanishingly small.

• Rep+
Reactions: Owterspace

·
Fix it till its broke
994 Posts
They are some of my least favorite fans.

It's not just that they are loud at full speed, it's that they are louder than pretty much every model of fan that I've purchased more than once at the same airflow. The number of scenarios where the iPPCs are more useful, or more economical, than something else is vanishingly small.
I am not a huge fan of the iPPC fans.. but I do like my Panaflos. I bought the iPPC fans because I had my TY-143 kick the bucket. It was a tough loss. The worst part was my 5900X was loaded with WCG when the fan failed. I woke up to a 95c CPU. Since that was my second Thermalright fan to go, I decided their fans can not be trusted with anything important in my setup anymore.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I am not a huge fan of the iPPC fans.. but I do like my Panaflos. I bought the iPPC fans because I had my TY-143 kick the bucket. It was a tough loss. The worst part was my 5900X was loaded with WCG when the fan failed. I woke up to a 95c CPU. Since that was my second Thermalright fan to go, I decided their fans can not be trusted with anything important in my setup anymore.
Out of my 9x TY147A fans 3 died in 1year and another 2 started to make weird sound (probably bcs of horizontal usage) , the rest are still working (4,5 years ) .They are very quiet and high airflow , but I dont trust them to last long :(

·
Registered
125 Posts
Another brand that offers good performance with low noise for case fans are the Enermax Silencer Series. I have several of their 80mm and they've works well for several years. Only reason I replaced with Noctua is I purchase a bunch of the NF80's along with a dozen NF40x10 fans at the same time and got a discount from them.

On the Cooler side for that ThreadRipper 1950x, I'd look at the NH-U9S as a possible replacement. Yes it's not got a large Fan but the Benchmarks involving the 90/120/140 HSF on Threadrippe shows that the only difference is how much overclocking the CPU can stand - As I recall, the 1950x Has very little headroom so not worth o'clocking other then PBO efforts. You get bigger improvements 2993 Ram as far as performance. It loves faster but AMD doesn't list anything faster then that for 1st Gen TR's.

·
Fix it till its broke
994 Posts
Out of my 9x TY147A fans 3 died in 1year and another 2 started to make weird sound (probably bcs of horizontal usage) , the rest are still working (4,5 years ) .They are very quiet and high airflow , but I dont trust them to last long :(
Man that is brutal. My 147A did that weird shake thing too. The 147B is still fine. I have 2 or their new generation fans and they seem ok so far. I have them as intakes at the top of my case. I still miss my 143.. she played an important role.

Edit:

I do take back what I said about the iPPC's, they are very good fans, a little loud at the top end :D But they are very effective in my setup. They are a bit loud with my 5900X because its a beast, but with my 5600X I really don't hear them much until the CPU gets into the 70s. But so far, by far my favorite 25mm fan, they pack a good punch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a tower cooler to (almost) fit my 4u case. It's an arctic sonething-or-other at 145mm height, and I would be happy to replace it with something better, but I can't seem to find anything that is clearly better. I would need single tower, dual fan.

So, in the meantime I've been searching for new fans for the existing cooler. The one fan it came with hits 2700 rpm, and isn't that loud. It's actually pretty impressive.

I added a 1800 rpm fan to it initially, and decided to swap that with a matching 2700 rpm fan, but couldn't find one.

So I bought a couple of 3000 rpm Noctua fans, and now I'm all set... except when they arrive I realize they are for industrial applications, and I should have read the description more carefully. Even at 800 rpm, these fans are louder than the originals.

So I'm back to shopping for a matching fan, and most seem to max out at 1800-2000 rpm, or they are the industrial/asic miner variety.

Can anyone recommend me some fans? Thanks in advance.
If you are wanting a cold new cooler I have the Noctuna Chromax Black it came with 2 140mm fans. I run them at 75% constant for around 2500RPM. It keeps it between 30 and 35 idle 42 load. It's impressive for an air cooler and are extremely quiet. I have since replaced the 140mm with the Noctuna redux. Same cooling quiet and they are rated at 1700 but do run higher bc of a CPU cooler application. They are 15$ at Newegg I highly recommend them. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Forgot about this thread.

WRT the idea that a matching 2700 rpm fan, will only make 1-2 C of difference: I'm aware of that, but depending on the speed that may be the difference between throttling/not-throttling or going over 75 C and not going over 75 C (which causes fans to hit 100%).

These peaks happen a couple of dozen times a day and last a solid ten minutes, so it's not academic.

WRT to the idea that going from 2700 RPM from 1800 RPM will only make 1-2 C of difference: I haven't been taking notes, but I'm finding it's more like 3-5 C.

For your information, neither us working with industrial applications, we do not trust Noctua.
You better post few pictures of your PC case, if you are interested for further tips about improvements.
Removal of unneeded DC fans this is also a step of progress.
I'll post some pics tomorrow. It's a pretty standard 4U case with 2x120mm case fans in the front, and 2x80 in the back.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts