Overclock.net banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Forgot about this thread.

WRT the idea that a matching 2700 rpm fan, will only make 1-2 C of difference: I'm aware of that, but depending on the speed that may be the difference between throttling/not-throttling or going over 75 C and not going over 75 C (which causes fans to hit 100%).

These peaks happen a couple of dozen times a day and last a solid ten minutes, so it's not academic.

WRT to the idea that going from 2700 RPM from 1800 RPM will only make 1-2 C of difference: I haven't been taking notes, but I'm finding it's more like 3-5 C.

I'll post some pics tomorrow. It's a pretty standard 4U case with 2x120mm case fans in the front, and 2x80 in the back.
If you are that concerned water cool it.a single fan wont save you

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
So? I didn't say Noctua were bad, just over-priced. I have Thermalright TY-140 and TY-143 fans that have been running non-stop for similar number of years .. as well as some GTs and a few others. TY-140 were £3-4 each, TY-143 were about £6 each, can't remember what GTs cost me. That's 1/3rd to 1/5th what Noc's cost at the time. Go-to low cost fans of today are Arctic P series at £4-6 each compared to similar performing Noc's being several times more money. Even if P series fail in 5 + years, that's still cheaper over 10-15 years of use than a Noc. Keep in mind it's £5 each now and them 5-6 years from now anther £5-6 instead of £15-27 for Noc today. I would much rather pay £6 today and maybe again in 5-9 years than £20 today and hop it lasts 13+ years.

Also, Nocs are not the only good quality fans out there. Others ilke Thermalright TY-147A, TY-147A SQ, Phanteks PH-F140MP PH-F140SP and GTs to name only a few last a long, long time too.
You lost me at PH-F140MP. To save a buck, I ordered 3 PH-F120MP for my 3090 Kingpin AIO to replace the EVGA finger cutters and they don’t push much air through the slim Asetek radiator at full speed, 2,000 RPM. My Corsair ML140 fans easily push air through my Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis GTR, which has probably the thickest fin density of any radiator. Sometimes you don’t get what you pay for and sometimes you do.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
WRT the idea that a matching 2700 rpm fan, will only make 1-2 C of difference: I'm aware of that, but depending on the speed that may be the difference between throttling/not-throttling or going over 75 C and not going over 75 C (which causes fans to hit 100%).

These peaks happen a couple of dozen times a day and last a solid ten minutes, so it's not academic.

WRT to the idea that going from 2700 RPM from 1800 RPM will only make 1-2 C of difference: I haven't been taking notes, but I'm finding it's more like 3-5 C.
I'll post some pics tomorrow. It's a pretty standard 4U case with 2x120mm case fans in the front, and 2x80 in the back.
Your understanding this is not far away from the reality, and this is good!
Higher air-flow this is possible, with 38mm thick fans instead of 20mm.
You can get two high quality 2700 RPM and with a small tweak, you can adjust operating voltage and have them operate at 1200 RPM with dust filters on.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts