Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm hesitating between getting two 120GB Samsun 840 EVO and make a raid setup or getting just one 240GB. I have another 250GB HDD for storage. I do a lot of gaming.

What would you recommend me to do? Both options cost the same.

Share your experiences with raid 0.

Btw how do you even make a raid 0 setup?

Have a great day.

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
Get a single 240 The price is usually cheaper and no real benefit in raid a ssd since 4k read is what benefits you with ssd not sustained transfers

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,389 Posts
Single

·
You broke it!
14,298 Posts
In RAID 0 your two SSDs would add onto each other for storage capacity purposes, so you would have a 240 GB volume to work with, and have the benefit of faster read/writes as well. Down shot is if you have a failure on one, your dead in the water.

But it is fast.

I am grabbing a second 840 EVO myself just to do it.
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
Cheaper and smarter to get ONE larger drive than 2 smaller ones. If you already have a 120 its smarter to get a 240 and use one as os and one as programs drive.

However if you have a 120 and only enough $$ for another 120 I guess go ahead and raid them. Though its truly a waste for ssd.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both option would cost exactly the same in my case. There's a great deal on ebay atm. i can get two 840evo for 50$ each. I have an external drive for backups but I'm wondering if it's really worth the pain of setting up everything. How much do you gain from raid 0? And how do you do it? Do you buy some sort of pice card?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Get one drive.

Advantages of single 240GB drive over RAID0:
* Lower complexity reducing failure rate and possible recovery issues.
* Higher random performance which is vastly more important than the higher sequential performance of RAID0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

In RAID 0 your two SSDs would add onto each other for storage capacity purposes, so you would have a 240 GB volume to work with, and have the benefit of faster read/writes as well. Down shot is if you have a failure on one, your dead in the water.
Faster sequential read/writes... but lower random read/writes.

NOTE: You probably won't notice the performance differences anyways.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
You loose performance in one area and gain it in another.

All in all... Net loss since usually what you gain from doing the raid is large file transfer speed the thing is what would you be transferring TO that was faster than just a single SSD to begin with.

IF!!

You are going to do raid 0 you should get the Intel 730 as it scales much better. Not saying this is the reason but the 730 is an enterprise design that's been OC'd so the enterprise parts might be why it does better with RAID... I don't actually know if that is the real reason.

Either way you will be much better off buying a single 850 EVO (NOT A 840) and being happy with that.

You can get a pre-order discount at newegg right now.

I bought my 500GB 840 EVO for $170 and it came with a free copy of Far Cry 4. I sold it on eBay for $200 and then pre-ordered the 850 500GB for $250.

Also something you might wanna try which is AWESOME...

So the way I will have my system running is I will have a the EVO as my main and then I set my old SSD to INTEL Smart Response SSD cache for my 3TB drive that way if I install any applications or games on the 3TB they will still load super fast.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by givmedew View Post

Except you have to also factor in complexity and failure rates!
Quote:

All in all... Net loss since usually what you gain from doing the raid is large file transfer speed the thing is what would you be transferring TO that was faster than just a single SSD to begin with.

IF!!
Correct.... the other storage system has to be faster enough to keep up with reads/writes
Quote:

You are going to do raid 0 you should get the Intel 730 as it scales much better. Not saying this is the reason but the 730 is an enterprise design that's been OC'd so the enterprise parts might be why it does better with RAID... I don't actually know if that is the real reason.
The scaling of RAID depends on the controller though.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

Quote:

Except you have to also factor in complexity and failure rates!
Quote:

IF!!
Correct.... the other storage system has to be faster enough to keep up with reads/writes
Quote:

The scaling of RAID depends on the controller though.
No kidding... lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts