Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I will soon begin on my ITX build and got confused when i came to the rad and fans.

I wanna use the Alphacool UT60 radiator for the build, but should i get the 120mm or 140mm version?
thinking.gif

The setup is gonna be push/pull and i have no idea which fans i should get for that.

I want the setup to be as quiet as possible, without losing too much performance.
This loop will be cooling a 3570k and gtx 670.

So can any of you smart guys out there help me decide which rad and fans i should get?
thumbsupsmiley.png

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Personally I'd go for either the noctua 140mm or cougar 140mm (i have used these, they're fantastic) with the 140mm radiator to give you more cooling space.

I hope you don't mean a single 120 or 140mm rad? That is not enough radiator space to cool those two components, a single 140 would be enough to cool one or the other, but not both adequately. You'd be better off getting a 2.140mm rad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomTaco View Post

Personally I'd go for either the noctua 140mm or cougar 140mm (i have used these, they're fantastic) with the 140mm radiator to give you more cooling space.

I hope you don't mean a single 120 or 140mm rad? That is not enough radiator space to cool those two components, a single 140 would be enough to cool one or the other, but not both adequately. You'd be better off getting a 2.140mm rad.
Thats not entirely true.
I have seen plenty of SFF builds here on OCN which only uses dual 92mm or 120mm rads to cool their CPU/GPU and they are getting pretty good temps.
I have it on my currently older ITX build with a i5 750 and gtx 560Ti and i get pretty low temps
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finn0528 View Post

Thats not entirely true.
I have seen plenty of SFF builds here on OCN which only uses dual 92mm or 120mm rads to cool their CPU/GPU and they are getting pretty good temps.
I have it on my currently older ITX build with a i5 750 and gtx 560Ti and i get pretty low temps
smile.gif
Generally accepted rule of thumb is either 120mm rad space per 100W TDP or 120mm per component plus one extra for headroom. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but you WILL have high temps and not much headroom, and you'll probably want stronger fans or run them at higher speeds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomTaco View Post

Generally accepted rule of thumb is either 120mm rad space per 100W TDP or 120mm per component plus one extra for headroom. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but you WILL have high temps and not much headroom, and you'll probably want stronger fans or run them at higher speeds.
I know its not gonna be super awesome low temps. But the build im going to make doesnt really allow me to go air cooling.

This guy have dual 92mm in push.
Quote:
Hey guys, so i thought i would update in terms of performance and temperatures. Over the last 2 days i been doing testing with; IBT, Prime95, Futuremark11 and bf3 (multiplayer). Ive been able to do a decent overclock on the 2500k to 4.5ghz @ 1.3v. Temps reach up to 62c in benchmarks (60c in bf3). Usually temps are around 28-32c idle and stock temps are around 50c on load.

I did try overclocking it to 4.7ghz @1.38v but temps ended up rising to around 71c so for now i think 4.5ghz is pretty good imbetween of temps + speed. Might be able to increase the OC later after more testing.
I believe i can get much better temps than him with the 6cm thick copper 140mm radiator i push/pull. I will also not be overclocking, so that will leave me some headroom.
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Get your UT60 in push/pull with Gentle Typhoon fans. The AP-45's are cheaper than the AP-15's rigjt now on FrozenCPU so you might want to look into that.

You can get a single rad to cool as well as a 480 rad, but you will have to move about 4 times more air, which can get noisy if you don't mind the noise.

If you want more raddage and your case doesn't allow more, you can always get one of these for an added posible 240 or 360 rad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLapiu View Post

Get your UT60 in push/pull with Gentle Typhoon fans. The AP-45's are cheaper than the AP-15's rigjt now on FrozenCPU so you might want to look into that.

You can get a single rad to cool as well as a 480 rad, but you will have to move about 4 times more air, which can get noisy if you don't mind the noise.

If you want more raddage and your case doesn't allow more, you can always get one of these for an added posible 240 or 360 rad.
Thanks for the reply.

Its gonna be a SFF build, so size, looks and noise are most important. So i really dont wanna add external water cooling, due to the looks.
Its all gonna fit in a 10,2 liter case, the Apex MI-008.
I will be removing the 2,5" and 3,5" bays in the front and drill a 140mm hole in the buttom of the case and in the top, so the push pull get fresh air in, and pushes it right out of the case again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts