PC Evangelist
47,375 Posts
MSI AB.

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubadah View Post

What program do you use? I'm after some recommendations. Something other than FRAPS.
The ones I see mentioned most often are Bandicam and PlayClaw. Honestly, from my personal experience with recording (so take from this whatever you want) none is better than another. I stick with FRAPS and have no probs other than a light hiccup every few min. I tried Bandicam, Dxtory, Playclaw, and a few other during my searches, and they all gave worse performance even when configured via tutorials for recording.

Again this is just personal experience and preference.

One example I'll site, is when I tried Dxtory, I was testing it with Fear 3, a game I know I can record fine on FRAPS. The game itself ran as if I wasn't recording, but the resulting vid was incredibly slow, choppy, stuttery, etc.

All the programs out there have trials, so I'd say just try them until you find one you're happy with.

·
god loves ugly
4,240 Posts
I use Dxtory for a couple reasons. Firstly, instead of needing a speedy storage solution, I can set a series of drives for it to record to simultaneously. Secondly, you can record without your framerate getting limited with a very minor hit in performance. I also use it for streaming my games with Xsplit (as the camera source) since Xsplit's game source leaves a lot to be desired.

With all that said, it's fairly pricey for something like this in my opinion.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I used to use fraps until I tried dxtory. Imo dxtory offers superior performance whilst recording and doesn't lock you fps to what you are recording at. As the above poster has said, it has a great feature that lets you use your harddrives in a "raid" like scenario to reduce the load on a single hdd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
Dxtory is no doubt miles ahead of fraps. the frame rate is almost unaffected & no awful stuttering. But.. it wont record audio for me
frown.gif
tried changing all settings, no luck so far.

·
Registered
244 Posts
WOW finally got dx all working!! better codec & settings etc. This is quite an amazing program. Fraps is literally unusable with a awful result at best.

I can record easily at decent frame rates without any jitter or stutter at 2560x1600.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I've been using fraps for a while, but the running the game at 60fps and recording at 30 is difficult. When you're playing something like bf3 where frame rate is important, it's not the best tool.

I've used msi afterburner to record some diablo 3 and the frame rate drop was MUCH less severe and it recorded sound without any glitches.

I'll try Afterburner with BF3 soon, I think the results will be better than fraps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts