Overclock.net banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
That true that why am trying to run gear 1.

Just figured the issue i think. Updated to latest bios but did not help.

If i boot XMP GEAR 2 Then reboot and switch to gear 1 it sometime boot after a long preboot dark screen.

Play with memory try it without success for some reason. Probably need to increase voltage with it to boot.

But sound like it the memory learning thing. It learn Gear 2 with the timing then switching to gear 1 is easier.

Gonna report back soon gonna test that again!
Sometimes you gotta retry it a few times. But Memory Try It! has helped me a good number of times to make the BIOS retrain.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Work at 1.55v ram and 1.4v vccsa 3600 cl14-14-14-34-48-630t gear 1

Maybe just got lucky at 1.5v vram once did not work after like 10 try. but 1.55 do boot

Ram seem cool at 45-50c but i wonder if vccsa is safe haha

Now benchmark time

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Sometimes you gotta retry it a few times. But Memory Try It! has helped me a good number of times to make the BIOS retrain.
Don't know if i could do better. I think am at the limit already. Good thing is Aida64 show the same performance and latency with 4x16 3600 c14 g1 than 2x16 g1.

I may try playing with memory try it but am exhausted haha. Wonder if i input my overclock setting if it gonna boot.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Don't know if i could do better. I think am at the limit already. Good thing is Aida64 show the same performance and latency with 4x16 3600 c14 g1 than 2x16 g1.

I may try playing with memory try it but am exhausted haha. Wonder if i input my overclock setting if it gonna boot.
Again, Gear 1 is pretty much capped off at 3,600 MHz, if you use four sticks. Next to impossible to try to push it beyond, no matter the motherboard. It's a memory slot design issue.
Your only recourse for Gear 1 is to tighten the timings even lower.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
What bios are you using?
I think 1.4 is alot off voltage,not sure if it can harm the cpu.

Dual rank memory needs more RAM voltage.

Yea i wonder the same thing but am not too worried since am probably going to upgrade to a 13900k this years if it fit and support ddr4.
Still a good point no idea how bad it is.

Again, Gear 1 is pretty much capped off at 3,600 MHz, if you use four sticks. Next to impossible to try to push it beyond, no matter the motherboard. It's a memory slot design issue.
Your only recourse for Gear 1 is to tighten the timings even lower.
I may try lower timing but not this weekend i think it took me 3-4 hour to figure everything out am burned out o_O

cl13 3600 would be great but at 1.55v aint got any margin left maybe 1.6v but don't want to kill my stick either

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I may try lower timing but not this weekend i think it took me 3-4 hour to figure everything out am burned out o_O

cl13 3600 would be great but at 1.55v aint got any margin left maybe 1.6v but don't want to kill my stick either
...You're not going to kill Samsung B-die with 1.60V VDIMM. Again, the dies are designed to support up to that voltage just fine.
Cooling is another thing altogether, and all that happens when RAM overheats is that it throws errors. But errors do not equate to physical damage.
As long as you have a dedicated cooling solution, you'll have some thermal headroom to play around with the RAM.

I've been running my kit in the signature at 1.63V VDIMM since late 2020, if anecdotal evidence means anything. And I'm sure it can keep running on indefinitely.

·
Registered
208 Posts
B die should handle it, but the IMC , 1.4 long term??
nobody knows, for sure? But that is what I think.

B die does not like heat, indeed. But I have seen here it depends on the kit.
But around 1.5 volt, you will need proper airflow around the Dimms, otherwise they will heat up pretty easy.

Also when gaming, the gpu, will heat up the RAM also, temps can be even higher then with stresstest , that could lead too errors.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
B die should handle it, but the IMC , 1.4 long term??
nobody knows, for sure? But that is what I think.

B die does not like heat, indeed. But I have seen here it depends on the kit.
But around 1.5 volt, you will need proper airflow around the Dimms, otherwise they will heat up pretty easy.

Also when gaming, the gpu, will heat up the RAM also, temps can be even higher then with stresstest , that could lead too errors.
You mean 1.40V VCCSA? That's what most people seem to agree is the safest max voltage for the IMC.
But unless you're pushing high frequencies for benchmarks, you shouldn't need more than 1.35V at most for DDR4.
Of course, that depends on DDR4 IMC quality as well. Better binned IMCs need less VCCSA to achieve the same frequencies.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Dropped a 80mm fan on top so cooling not an issue the heatsink seem to handle the job fine too.

I could try lowering the imc i think i already tried 1.35v with no success but with some retry maybe i could be succesfull.

Seem to be running great for now but it a 24/7 build so vccsa may be to high for that kind of setup.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My GSKILL kit reacts heavy with airflow. If I but some fans way more down,you will see the tem,ps go up instantly,but it also reacts very well when there is indeed airflow ,you can see the temps go down then.

So the heatspreader indeed does something ,but with yours its weird that temps are not going down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
My GSKILL kit reacts heavy with airflow. If I but some fans way more down,you will see the tem,ps go up instantly,but it also reacts very well when there is indeed airflow ,you can see the temps go down then.

So the heatspreader indeed does something ,but with yours its weird that temps are not going down.

I got like 8 120mm and it in a enthoo 719 so maybe the case airflow cool them already.

But the fan sit over the top pushing down maybe it do not reach the sensor

21 - 34 of 34 Posts