Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Custom User Title
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to post all my updates and questions here until I am stable in any stress test I run. I would appreciate if someone who has done this task themselves Watch this discussion and be prepared to offer advice when it's needed. From what I am seeing, I am going to aim for a humble overclock with a 5.2 to all cores and a 4.0 to all ecores.

I am just waiting for my case to come in before I start building and it should be here on Friday.

Font Gadget Publication Audio equipment Technology

Electronic instrument Computer hardware Electronic device Machine Audio equipment

Spec list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/SightUp/saved/n6Pxgs

Unless someone has another idea, I am going to start out with the following steps:

1) Update BIOS
2) Disable onboard devices that won't be used
3) Enable XMP profile
4) Run memtest86 for 16 passes (double what I found to be recommended online)

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am going to post all my updates and questions here until I am stable in any stress test I run. I would appreciate if someone who has done this task themselves Watch this discussion and be prepared to offer advice when it's needed. From what I am seeing, I am going to aim for a humble overclock with a 5.2 to all cores and a 4.0 to all ecores.

I am just waiting for my case to come in before I start building and it should be here on Friday.

View attachment 2541368

View attachment 2541367

Spec list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/SightUp/saved/n6Pxgs

Unless someone has another idea, I am going to start out with the following steps:

1) Update BIOS
2) Disable onboard devices that won't be used
3) Enable XMP profile
4) Run memtest86 for 16 passes (double what I found to be recommended online)
Hah, our setups are identical for the GPU, CPU, motherboard. I am using a corsair icue 240 v. your artic, superflower 850 v. your Corsair, and Oloy cl14 3600 2x16 32gb. I used some timings bscool shared and posted my results in the memory section. You should be able to at least match my settings if you want a baseline.

·
Registered
385 Posts
5.2 all-core is going to be tough. I have a 12700k and have done a lot of experimenting. You can setup a per core overclocking scheme with OCTVB to get 5.2 all-core in light loads. I can do 5.1 heavy SSE and lighter AVX like Cinebench R23. However, I use AVX offset down to 5.0 to be able to pass heavy AVX2 loads like OCCT small or even the similar Y-cruncher stress test in the suite of y-cruncher tests. Let me know if you have questions. I don't see a lot of 12700k users posting, as it's mostly 12900k on here.

·
Custom User Title
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hah, our setups are identical for the GPU, CPU, motherboard. I am using a corsair icue 240 v. your artic, superflower 850 v. your Corsair, and Oloy cl14 3600 2x16 32gb. I used some timings bscool shared and posted my results in the memory section. You should be able to at least match my settings if you want a baseline.
Awesome! Hopefully you will be able to help me with a lot of my questions then. Can you post screenshots of your BIOS? I would very much like to see them!

5.2 all-core is going to be tough. I have a 12700k and have done a lot of experimenting. You can setup a per core overclocking scheme with OCTVB to get 5.2 all-core in light loads. I can do 5.1 heavy SSE and lighter AVX like Cinebench R23. However, I use AVX offset down to 5.0 to be able to pass heavy AVX2 loads like OCCT small or even the similar Y-cruncher stress test in the suite of y-cruncher tests. Let me know if you have questions. I don't see a lot of 12700k users posting, as it's mostly 12900k on here.
Couple questions.

1) Do I want to leave AVX on? - On my 8086k build I turned it off to get a stable 5.0 overclock.

2) What is AVX2?

3) Should I plan on turning off ecores? I was told that Windows, games and applications cannot utilize them correctly yet and only hinder overclocks.

·
Registered
385 Posts
AVX should be left on. AVX2 has been around since Haswell and you want that on as well. It's just and expansion of the original AVX instruction set. Don't turn off the e-cores. Could you potentially achieve 100mhz higher overclock on the P-cores, sure, but you lose out a lot in multi-core and if you are on Windows 11 the e-cores are utilized correctly. Most games are fine. The ASUS newer BIOSes should have a setting in the BIOS to use "scroll lock" to toggle e-cores on and off in Windows on the fly if you want to experiment. I own the Strix-A D4 (so the upgraded version of the TUF). You'll be missing some nice features on the TUF like SP prediction and AI Overclocking, but from what I hear it's still a solid board.

·
Registered
204 Posts
AVX should be left on. AVX2 has been around since Haswell and you want that on as well. It's just and expansion of the original AVX instruction set. Don't turn off the e-cores. Could you potentially achieve 100mhz higher overclock on the P-cores, sure, but you lose out a lot in multi-core and if you are on Windows 11 the e-cores are utilized correctly. Most games are fine. The ASUS newer BIOSes should have a setting in the BIOS to use "scroll lock" to toggle e-cores on and off in Windows on the fly if you want to experiment. I own the Strix-A D4 (so the upgraded version of the TUF). You'll be missing some nice features on the TUF like SP prediction and AI Overclocking, but from what I hear it's still a solid board.

I could be wrong, but I think the D4 STRIX is more of a upgraded version of the PRIME Z690-A which also supports "ai overclocking" but with less flair. No idea on the performance of the prime though.

The Asus TUF does not have this AI overclocking feature but it has its own overclocking toggle that seems to work fine on both option 1 and option 2. I first set this in the bios, rebooted, and then completed the memory timings. Look for the post "chasing the 40's" in the overclock.net memory section if you want the complete timing table.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
What is that Jupiter thing on the far left?

·
Custom User Title
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is that Jupiter thing on the far left?
That's the new mouse pad just released from Leathal Gaming Gear. If you are a Control type player, this is the mouse for you!!

To everyone else... Ah, damn. Are you telling me that the TUF series is a bad board? I actually do not care about the AI. I purposefully didn't even look for that 'feature' because I like to tweak all my settings myself. Will I still be able to overclock and at least attempt to hit my goals?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
That's the new mouse pad just released from Leathal Gaming Gear. If you are a Control type player, this is the mouse for you!!

To everyone else... Ah, damn. Are you telling me that the TUF series is a bad board? I actually do not care about the AI. I purposefully didn't even look for that 'feature' because I like to tweak all my settings myself. Will I still be able to overclock and at least attempt to hit my goals?
You should still be able to overclock regardless. But maybe the headroom won't be as much as the next higher end board. Hard to say, since motherboards have come a long way since years ago. The CPU and IMC are still the most important factor to overclocking.

·
Custom User Title
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You should still be able to overclock regardless. But maybe the headroom won't be as much as the next higher end board. Hard to say, since motherboards have come a long way since years ago. The CPU and IMC are still the most important factor to overclocking.
I know on my previous motherboard, ASUS Strix z390-F, it did not have as many power stages and did really well. I had hoped that this one would have been a performer.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The TUF seems like a fine board. Plenty of users on this forum are using it with success. It just has a couple less power stages (won't matter at all), and lacks a few of the niceties in the BIOS. The SP readout is nice, but not required. There are plenty of guides on here as to how to overclock Alder Lake. What I like about this platform is that you can get as simple or as complex as you want for overclocking. To each their own.

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
I know on my previous motherboard, ASUS Strix z390-F, it did not have as many power stages and did really well. I had hoped that this one would have been a performer.
There are a few people who had both Strix d4 and Tuf and they hit the same cpu and mem oc. No worries about going with Tuf.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have the tuf and can still return it and get a strix (still available here) but I dont see the point. Honestly if I would go back and do it again I would get the cheapest asus D4 board I could since those also seem to do quite well all being z690A series. I don't need more than 2 ram slots so perhaps even the $189 mATX would be ok. I think you will see more challenges with performance with the cheaper b series that are coming out.

·
Custom User Title
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RIP. I just read online that my case with my combined top mounted AIO will only provide me with 41mm. My memory will require 44mm. I am going to be replacing the fans for some Noctua ones so we see when I get home if we will be dead in the water this weekend or do we get to begin.

I am expecting my case and mounting bracket to be waiting for me when I get home. So excited!!

·
Registered
385 Posts
RIP. I just read online that my case with my combined top mounted AIO will only provide me with 41mm. My memory will require 44mm. I am going to be replacing the fans for some Noctua ones so we see when I get home if we will be dead in the water this weekend or do we get to begin.

I am expecting my case and mounting bracket to be waiting for me when I get home. So excited!!
Well you could always front mount the AIO, right? Did you consider the Arctic LF II 360? It's a better performer than the 240 and should fit in the front of your case. It's only about $20 more expensive.

·
Custom User Title
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I really wanted to go with the top mounted solution because I wanted to cool air to be pushed onto the 3080 TI.

·
Custom User Title
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unfortunately, because of the memory, some changes had to be made. I think the changes are for the better, but I am sad about how long it will take to get to me. :(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
That case runs warm even with custom loops it is not that great. I guess people like it for the "looks".

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
What should I get then?
It is up to you and what your needs and wants are. I recently got the Fractal Torrent and it can take a 420 Arctic AIO in the front with tubes up or down and it has great temps.

420 is tight i think most would prefer the easy of mounting 360 in the front.

From what I have seen my temps are better than most using AIO on 12900k.

It doesnt look good though ;) Fan is there for memest just getto setup for now.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 54 Posts