Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a good graphics card to put on my system and the only 6600 in my price range that is AGP I can find has 128mb DDR3... my current card is a 256mb DDR 5700LE... Besides the general GPU performance am I going to be losing alot by cutting my texture memory in half? or is the fact that it is a far superior GPU and DDR3 going to more than make up for it? Currently I can;t figure out how to get my MB to actually run correctly in AGP 8x mode so I'm stuck at 4x... My 3Dmarks drop by 40 points just by switching from AGP 4x to 8x... wierd.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
All that frame buffer on that 5700 is being wasted cause the GPU just can't use it. The 6600GT will be considerabley faster.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittani
I'm looking for a good graphics card to put on my system and the only 6600 in my price range that is AGP I can find has 128mb DDR3... my current card is a 256mb DDR 5700LE... Besides the general GPU performance am I going to be losing alot by cutting my texture memory in half? or is the fact that it is a far superior GPU and DDR3 going to more than make up for it? Currently I can;t figure out how to get my MB to actually run correctly in AGP 8x mode so I'm stuck at 4x... My 3Dmarks drop by 40 points just by switching from AGP 4x to 8x... wierd.
Most motherboards IF 8x enabled will default to the highest speed of the graphics card.

As far as the speed difference, your 5700LE Never had chance to use all that memory. The gpu is no where near fast enough to require more than 128mb. The 6600 is MUCH faster than the 5700LE. I'd get it

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
new info...

MFillipot just informed me that my mainboard adverts that it has an AGPPRO 8x slot but does not say it directly supports a regualr AGP 8x card. IT only works on 4x because the board says it's either AGP PRO 8X or 4X mode... not regular 8X... that may be why the thing is screwing up on 8x mode (because my card isn;t a PRO card.

GRRRR!! the only AGP 8x 6600GT i can find only has dual DVI... I need a VGA port

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so it's settled.. I'm getting a 6600 GT video Card as soon as i get the money, regardless of ram.

Now I am having a problem with my current card. Keeping ALL bios settings the same and just changing the mode from 4x to 8x I still get garbled graphics. It's smooth in places but it seems to draw random polygons and horizontal and vertical lines all over the place. It's most noticeable in Doom 3 where all of the interfaces and displays are too screwed up to read. Everythign Is fine in 4x mode but It goes to crap in 8x mode. I don't have a diffrent card to test to see what could be causing the problem. I know the video card and MB both say they can do 8x. I have all of the latest drivers and the bios is set to stock settigns all around. It detects and loads the card in the bios as 8x even and I actually have to step it down to 8x to get it to work right..... anyone experience this before?

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittani
Ok so it's settled.. I'm getting a 6600 GT video Card as soon as i get the money, regardless of ram.

Now I am having a problem with my current card. Keeping ALL bios settings the same and just changing the mode from 4x to 8x I still get garbled graphics. It's smooth in places but it seems to draw random polygons and horizontal and vertical lines all over the place. It's most noticeable in Doom 3 where all of the interfaces and displays are too screwed up to read. Everythign Is fine in 4x mode but It goes to crap in 8x mode. I don't have a diffrent card to test to see what could be causing the problem. I know the video card and MB both say they can do 8x. I have all of the latest drivers and the bios is set to stock settigns all around. It detects and loads the card in the bios as 8x even and I actually have to step it down to 8x to get it to work right..... anyone experience this before?
i know Sloth_boy is having this problem curently.. and i have experienced that in Farcry but a simple reflash of the video cards bios fixed this...

search for your card name and bios flash in google and that should find something to help you...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist
i know Sloth_boy is having this problem curently.. and i have experienced that in Farcry but a simple reflash of the video cards bios fixed this...

search for your card name and bios flash in google and that should find something to help you...
flashed the bios to the only newer one I could find... still does it
I think the mobo is just crap.... Soyo hasn't replied and neither has XFX... that is the problem with PC platform... everyone else can easily blame problems on SOMEBODY ELSE... at least with MAC if you're having a problem it's their responsibility.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts