Overclock.net banner

(12900k) Patching older ucode to restore AVX512

25282 117
Note, doing this on the Keep Spending edition will reduce boost bin by 1.

Bios links:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ukctcbrn1z0peh/ROG-MAXIMUS-Z690-HERO-ASUS-9901.rar?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9vbyu5b18hsx0x/ROG-MAXIMUS-Z690-FORMULA-ASUS-9901.rar?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sd0qb52498yowxv/ROG-MAXIMUS-Z690-EXTREME-ASUS-9901.rar?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i1q9v7eay09qavb/ROG-MAXIMUS-Z690-APEX-ASUS-9901.rar?dl=0

Mmtool version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hdb6nayrk36657/MMTool.7z?dl=0
0x15 ucode
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mhio1cq3kh7wzgn/m_03_90672_00000015.pdb?dl=0

Instructions:
1) Open cap file in mmtool.
2) go to patch data and click then delete 0x18 microcode.
3) go to patch data and load and insert 0x15 microcode, and apply.

4) save the file as a new (different) name than the original
5) exit and reopen the file to make sure the microcode you inserted is still present.

6) Format a USB flash drive as FAT32
7) Take the modded BIOS and rename it based on your board name:
MZ690A, E, F, or H.CAP
8) use the USB flashback bios button to flash the bios with the USB drive in the BIOS designated slot.
AFAIK, EZflash will not flash this because the BIOS is modded, and will fail checksums.
9) AVX512 should be restored.
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Facepalm
11,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does the asus patch for avx2 frequencies > 51x still work with this or does it break?
Seems to be a BIOS issue with bioses >=0811.
You often you need to manually apply the x52 (or higher, if you're actually stable with that) clock ratio in the Asus OCTool under "controls". (seems to vary boot from boot, but always have to do it on a cold start).

·
What's your "stable"?
505 Posts
Seems to be a BIOS issue with bioses >=0811.
You often you need to manually apply the x52 (or higher, if you're actually stable with that) clock ratio in the Asus OCTool under "controls". (seems to vary boot from boot, but always have to do it on a cold start).
on stock 0046 bios I set x52 in bios, run linx and it will run at x52, no "ia max turbo limit yes".

when I used the modded 0046 with ucode 15 which was posted in the maximus/strix thread a week ago , it throttles back to x51 in avx2 with the same settings.

gonna try the 9901 bios and your modding approach today and report back, ideally i'd want avx2 >= x52 and avx512 x51 with the same bios.

the x51 limit might be okay-ish if you only do static all-core, but I really want single cores to boost higher for avx2, like this x55 ;)

·
Facepalm
11,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
on stock 0046 bios I set x52 in bios, run linx and it will run at x52, no "ia max turbo limit yes".

when I used the modded 0046 with ucode 15 which was posted in the maximus/strix thread a week ago , it throttles back to x51 in avx2 with the same settings.

gonna try the 9901 bios and your modding approach today and report back, ideally i'd want avx2 >= x52 and avx512 x51 with the same bios.

the x51 limit might be okay-ish if you only do static all-core, but I really want single cores to boost higher for avx2, like this x55 ;)

You need to apply the x52 ratio in the OCtool under 'controls' to reapply the patch.
This issue started happening in the bios version right before 0811. Not related to ucode as that bios had the old ucode already.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Does this restore TSX functionality? IIRC I saw TSX in CPU-Z but it's been a while.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Instructions:
Have you had any luck using this method with the most recent 1003 bios from ASUS?

mmtool seems to be unable to open the latest .CAP file with mmtool ver >= 5.02 (e.g. patched, 0024, or 0025) -> "Firmware Volume open error."
mmtool version 5.007 can open the .CAP, but the ucode isn't listed in the CPU Patch section, so not possible to remove 0x18 and reinsert 0x15.
mmtool 4.50.0.23 can open the .CAP and see the 0x18 ucode and can be used to remove 0x18 and reinsert 0x15, but fails to be able to save these changes.

Also tried using UBU from the win-raid forums, that I'd used in the past to extract and update ucode sections, but whether I use the ASUS .CAP or use UEFITool to extract the bios, I wasn't able to create a working images as even with the latest MCExtractor .db UBU saw these ucode sections as corrupted and thus not able to extract and replace.

Perhaps ASUS will re-enable this in the official firmware like MSI has recently added, but I was looking for a workaround on the latest BIOS for the Z690 Formula as 1003 actually fixed the memory instability I was seeing in older firmware when enabling XMP for my Corsair Dominator 5600 DDR5 memory, previously I could only run with manual timings @ 5200..

·
Facepalm
11,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you had any luck using this method with the most recent 1003 bios from ASUS?

mmtool seems to be unable to open the latest .CAP file with mmtool ver >= 5.02 (e.g. patched, 0024, or 0025) -> "Firmware Volume open error."
mmtool version 5.007 can open the .CAP, but the ucode isn't listed in the CPU Patch section, so not possible to remove 0x18 and reinsert 0x15.
mmtool 4.50.0.23 can open the .CAP and see the 0x18 ucode and can be used to remove 0x18 and reinsert 0x15, but fails to be able to save these changes.

Also tried using UBU from the win-raid forums, that I'd used in the past to extract and update ucode sections, but whether I use the ASUS .CAP or use UEFITool to extract the bios, I wasn't able to create a working images as even with the latest MCExtractor .db UBU saw these ucode sections as corrupted and thus not able to extract and replace.

Perhaps ASUS will re-enable this in the official firmware like MSI has recently added, but I was looking for a workaround on the latest BIOS for the Z690 Formula as 1003 actually fixed the memory instability I was seeing in older firmware when enabling XMP for my Corsair Dominator 5600 DDR5 memory, previously I could only run with manual timings @ 5200..
I have no problem doing this, verifying and re-opening it with mmtool dated 3.12.2015.
version 5.01.0012
Why are you using your own mmtool instead of the one I linked in the first post?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have no problem doing this, verifying and re-opening it with mmtool dated 3.12.2015.
version 5.01.0012
Why are you using your own mmtool instead of the one I linked in the first post?
Sorry, I didn't realize that you had a different version, as I just assumed you were using the latest (5.02.0025) That being said I see the same issue with your version as the slightly older one I had, it can open the new version but not affect the needed ucode sections.

Opening the 9901 CAPs you posted above I can see 0x18 ucode in the CPU Patch section, but that isn't shown in the latest 1003 CAP. I've confirmed that the 0x18 patch is in the official 1003 CAP with the older 4.5 version or using UBU, but using mmtool 5.007 or 5.01.0012 versions I can't delete 0x18 and insert 0x15 either. Seems like something has changed slightly in the newest .CAP such that the ucode doesn't show up in 5.007 or 5.01.0012 and the newer versions of mmtool could also open 0803 and 9901 without issues, but not 1003 as it throws the "Firmware Volume open error."

Just for reference: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/BIOS/ROG-MAXIMUS-Z690-FORMULA-ASUS-1003.ZIP

·
Facepalm
11,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, I didn't realize that you had a different version, as I just assumed you were using the latest (5.02.0025) That being said I see the same issue with your version as the slightly older one I had, it can open the new version but not affect the needed ucode sections.

Opening the 9901 CAPs you posted above I can see 0x18 ucode in the CPU Patch section, but that isn't shown in the latest 1003 CAP. I've confirmed that the 0x18 patch is in the official 1003 CAP with the older 4.5 version or using UBU, but using mmtool 5.007 or 5.01.0012 versions I can't delete 0x18 and insert 0x15 either. Seems like something has changed slightly in the newest .CAP such that the ucode doesn't show up in 5.007 or 5.01.0012 and the newer versions of mmtool could also open 0803 and 9901 without issues, but not 1003 as it throws the "Firmware Volume open error."

Just for reference: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/BIOS/ROG-MAXIMUS-Z690-FORMULA-ASUS-1003.ZIP
I have no idea what the issue is.
i checked this with the Extreme 1003 Bios and had no problem whatsoever.

Edit
I just modded your formula bios also. Works just like it does on all the others.
I even closed and reloaded the mmtool after saving and the patch data was correct.

Are you sure this isn't a PEBKAC issue?
Did you click browse, then click "insert a patch data" then hit "apply" at the end?
There's absolutely zero reason it worked for me but not for you.

Rectangle Screenshot Font Software Parallel

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you sure this isn't a PEBKAC issue?
Did you click browse, then click "insert a patch data" then hit "apply" at the end?
There's absolutely zero reason it worked for me but not for you.
I thought that is was required to remove the existing 0x18 ucode and then insert and apply the 0x15 ucode patch, as per your instructions above which doesn't work as I described above for each give range of mmtools versions. I figured that simply inserting the 0x15 ucode section without removing the 0x18 would just be appending and might not make a usable BIOS, so I didn't proceed.

I'll give that a try and see if that also works. Kinda of hard to be a simple PEBKAC problem when your "RTFM response" also excludes steps in the original instructions...

EDIT: Yeah looks like simply inserting 0x15 section over the top isn't quite correct either as it override more than just the 0x18 ucode section. (e.g. from UEFITool)

Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Number

Was hoping to simply replace the new 0x18 ucode section alone, without wiping out other ucode sections (i.e. 00FF0672h), so maybe I'll hold off now until I get a better option.

Saw it being discussed in the other thread ([OFFICIAL] Asus Strix/Maximus Z690 Owners Thread), but I'll need to read through that more. Either way thanks for the initial info...

·
Facepalm
11,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought that is was required to remove the existing 0x18 ucode and then insert and apply the 0x15 ucode patch, as per your instructions above which doesn't work as I described above for each give range of mmtools versions. I figured that simply inserting the 0x15 ucode section without removing the 0x18 would just be appending and might not make a usable BIOS, so I didn't proceed.

I'll give that a try and see if that also works. Kinda of hard to be a simple PEBKAC problem when your "RTFM response" also excludes steps in the original instructions...

EDIT: Yeah looks like simply inserting 0x15 section over the top isn't quite correct either as it override more than just the 0x18 ucode section. (e.g. from UEFITool)

View attachment 2547425
Was hoping to simply replace the new 0x18 ucode section alone, without wiping out other ucode sections (i.e. 00FF0672h), so maybe I'll hold off now until I get a better option.

Saw it being discussed in the other thread ([OFFICIAL] Asus Strix/Maximus Z690 Owners Thread), but I'll need to read through that more. Either way thanks for the initial info...
I really don't know and I never encountered these problems you are encountering. Sorry. I don't know enough about microcode stuff to give you techsupport on this. Two things worked for me:
1) on bioses that have 0x18 microcode actually shown in the patch data, deleting it, hitting apply, inserting 15, and hitting apply and saving worked for me. Every time.

2) the bios you supplied does not even have the 0x18 microcode in the patch data! I don't know if it's there or if it's stored in windows OS or something or if mmtool isn't sufficient for some strange reason. But I simply inserted the 0x15 microcode and saved it and it worked for me on your BIOS you supplied and on the Extreme 1101 Bios (or whatever it was).

As I said--this stuff is beyond my realm of knowledge. I don't mess with UEFItool at all. The last time I did that was way back with some Gigabyte Z390 bioses to install some older microcodes that didn't run so slow on a 9900k. If you have issues or specific workarounds, please post the exact steps and workarounds you posted instead of saying that my instructions don't work when it's worked for others, because I have no way to replicate your failures. Also these were supplied by Shamino, not by me.

I apologize if this is isn't what you want to hear or what you're looking for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Thank you Falkentyne! Your method worked perfectly on an Asus PRIME Z690-P WIFI D4 + i9-12900K with the recent BIOS 1008. I used the supplied MMTool v5.1.0.12 and flashed from the EZ Flash as this is quite a basic ass mobo in regards to OC amenities. Intel Processor Identification Utility shows microcode 15 and everything looks stable so far. Thank you once again🏆

·
Facepalm
11,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Thank you Falkentyne! Your method worked perfectly on an Asus PRIME Z690-P WIFI D4 + i9-12900K with the recent BIOS 1008. I used the supplied MMTool v5.1.0.12 and flashed from the EZ Flash as this is quite a basic ass mobo in regards to OC amenities. Intel Processor Identification Utility shows microcode 15 and everything looks stable so far. Thank you once again🏆
Glad it worked out.

• Rep+
Reactions: monoem

·
Registered
21 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Great to see this works with EZFlash as the Z690 Prime-P WIFI D4 BIOS doesn't have Flashback at all. AVX-512 is important for RPCS3 performance and Alder Lake excels particularly at Sonic Unleashed, which is something that I'd like to play in the best manner possible on my 12700K. On a slightly unrelated note, I hope that Asus eventually releases a BIOS that may make it more feasible to handle DDR4-4000 Gear 1 with dual channel Dual Rank sticks, but that seems to be more of an IMC limitation least I can tell (And barely anyone here seems to be doing a lot of testing with Dual Rank sticks on the Z690 Prime-P D4, WIFI version or not). DDR4-3733 or DDR4-3800 seems fine for ADL though ofc.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts