·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
LOL at your avatar. Love that show.

As far as memory goes, I recommend either of the kits. Both companies have great customer service, and quick rma service if needed.

however youll have a little faster timing with the cas 6 memory. Ive got the dominators and they are running great.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Do you really need 12GB?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input fshizl! But is the Cas 6 Gskill really worth $40 over the Cas 7? Will I even a see a big difference? Trying to save as much money as I can... Haha and yeah, Adventure Time is the ****!

DuckieHo, I'll be using Premiere Pro and After Effects CS5, so yes.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by semajha View Post
Thanks for the input fshizl! But is the Cas 6 Gskill really worth $40 over the Cas 7? Will I even a see a big difference? Trying to save as much money as I can.

DuckieHo, I'll be using Premiere Pro and After Effects CS5, so yes.
You won't notice the CAS difference in the real world.

Perfect, just checking as most people don't!

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
I'd recommend the dominators, I just had some G.Skills that were faulty, and after reading through other forums and reviews, it turns out that it is actually somewhat common with the G.Skills. The Corsair Dominators are some of the best rated RAM on Newegg, for what it is worth. My dominators are working just fine, although I've only pushed them to ~1750Mhz.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lordikon, I didn't know g.Skills had such a bad reputation. From what I've read, GSkill seems to be very reliable, fast and cheap... I'm kind of tempted to take my chances with GSkill... But what I'm really concerned about most is the compatibility issues with memory and the UD3R board. It seems that the ud3r can be really picky with ram and i've read about some people not being able to get their mobo to detect all the memory or run it at claimed speeds.

That's good to know, DuckieHo. By going with the GSkill Cas 7s, I'll be saving $70.

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by semajha
View Post

lordikon, I didn't know g.Skills had such a bad reputation. From what I've read, GSkill seems to be very reliable, fast and cheap... I'm kind of tempted to take my chances with GSkill... But what I'm really concerned about most is the compatibility issues with memory and the UD3R board. It seems that the ud3r can be really picky with ram and i've read about some people not being able to get their mobo to detect all the memory or run it at claimed speeds.

That's good to know, DuckieHo. By going with the GSkill Cas 7s, I'll be saving $70.

I'm heading off to bed or I'd find all the links for you. Here's some on newegg, looks like there are a couple of mentions of this issue in the 1-2 egg reviews:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

The issues I had was randomly 1-2 of my 3 sticks would not show up on boot, and windows wouldn't recognize them, but I could see and access their info in CPU-Z. Additionally, the ones I got wouldn't run at recommended timings even at stock speed.

Looked into the issue more, and their forums had quite a few people and multiple threads about the same issue with RAM sometimes not showing up unless they rebooted their PC multiple times.

On the plus side, G.Skill was willing to replace the RAM in all cases, but the wait time was about 2 weeks. I believe G.Skills do have pretty good reviews overall, it just seemed odd to me how many people had the exact same problem with different models of their RAM, some people running stock, some OC'd, many different hardware configs.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's very unfortunate to hear... I guess I won't be getting gskill anymore. Thanks for sharing that lordikon, I had no idea. What do you think about Mushkin? They seem to be pretty good as well but I don't know too much about their reputation.

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by semajha View Post
That's very unfortunate to hear... I guess I won't be getting gskill anymore. Thanks for sharing that lordikon, I had no idea. What do you think about Mushkin? They seem to be pretty good as well but I don't know too much about their reputation.
After my G.Skill incident I did some research and heard very few complaints about Corsair Dominators. I ended up with a set of those and they work flawlessly. Quite a few people on OCN have them as well, so they were highly recommended when I asked here.

I haven't used Mushkins in about 4-5 years, but the one set of those I had worked fine.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah the dominators seem great, but I thought i'd save myself a few extra bucks by going with a cheaper alternative.

·
Premium Member
15,523 Posts
Another vote for the dominators from me, cool piece of kit just dont expect much in the way of overclocking them. get the 7 cas kit, then you can turn the timings down and increase speed if need be.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts