Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 109 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
SiDock has a 48 hour deadline now, anything you download today has to be uploaded on the 1st day. That 14 hour estimate is more like 5 hours on a 1700x, my ancient L5640 runs them in 13.

Going to need multiple clients or VMs or blocking URLs to keep things busy.

WCG may still be doing their GPU stress test, I keep having to restart downloads.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
5,123 Posts
Dont forget, in your cc_config.xml file, you can specify the number of cores that the BOINC client will think your PC has. This is a workaround for projects that limit the number of tasks you may have in progress based on CPU core count. I have included that line below for setting it to think you have 400 cores; you can change this to a more reasonable number. I do not know if there is a limit.

<cc_config>
<options>
<ncpus>400</ncpus>
</options>
</cc_config>

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
Dont forget, in your cc_config.xml file, you can specify the number of cores that the BOINC client will think your PC has. This is a workaround for projects that limit the number of tasks you may have in progress based on CPU core count. I have included that line below for setting it to think you have 400 cores; you can change this to a more reasonable number. I do not know if there is a limit.

<cc_config>
<options>
<ncpus>400</ncpus>
</options>
</cc_config>
Would BOINC then try to start 400 tasks?

·
aka Fury1184
1,366 Posts
I was thinking it started yesterday and started loading up and crunching. oops. :-/

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
I am losing my mind or missing something obvious. One of my machines running WCG is stuck at: Suspended - User Request. Was running fine until sometime last night.
That's odd - one of my machines is doing the same. . . . but I think it will resolve itself in a few days ;)
I have my old x5650's on SiDock and they look like they will take around 10 hours per task.
EDIT: To Add - X5650's running 11 - 12 hours per task

·
Not new to Overclock.net
5,123 Posts
Would BOINC then try to start 400 tasks?
I tried it and yes, it does.
But you can use the config file to quickly grab more tasks and then remove it and revert to running your usual amount of work (y)
Sorry, I did mean to explain that on my 40 thread system, I would tell BOINC to run on 10% of the CPU cores after the work has been downloaded; this way it only tries to run 40 at a time. You could probably also modify the config file back to a lower number once you have the work downloaded.

·
Premium Member
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Sorry, I did mean to explain that on my 40 thread system, I would tell BOINC to run on 10% of the CPU cores after the work has been downloaded; this way it only tries to run 40 at a time. You could probably also modify the config file back to a lower number once you have the work downloaded.
You could also just leave the modified cc_config in place, and use an app_config.xml (placed in the project folder) for the project, to limit the number of tasks to run for that project.

XML:
<app_config>
    <project_max_concurrent>x</project_max_concurrent>
</app_config>

·
Premium Member
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I am losing my mind or missing something obvious. One of my machines running WCG is stuck at: Suspended - User Request. Was running fine until some time last night.
I'm an idiot. I accidentally suspended all activity, instead of suspending network activity. 🤦‍♂️

·
Premium Member
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
I forgot about the segfault issue I have running MIP. If I can't sort it out, no Javelin throw for me.

Looking around on the WCG forum, problem seems to only really exist for users running rolling release distros like Gentoo and Arch. Hopefully it gets sorted out before whatever is causing the issues starts hitting stable releases like Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc.

--Edit--
Looking at the tasks I ran on my 1700 before noticing the problem, roughly 80% of the tasks ended in a segfault at random times (2 minutes to 2 hours into the task) and the other 20% seemed to have completed without error.

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
I forgot about the segfault issue I have running MIP. If I can't sort it out, no Javelin throw for me.

Looking around on the WCG forum, problem seems to only really exist for users running rolling release distros like Gentoo and Arch. Hopefully it gets sorted out before whatever is causing the issues starts hitting stable releases like Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc.
You could always install W10 Home or Mint in a VirtualBox and be up and running pretty quickly. I did a couple of them with Mint 19.3 yesterday to keep systems going when I finished the SiDock I had downloaded.

·
Watercooled Railgun
4,637 Posts
So far, my 3700x has plenty to do, both for SiDock and WCG. I'm still waiting to get my 2670 v2 (hopefully they'll deliver today or tomorrow). And i'll have a couple lesser machines to fire up, but i'll do that tonight.

21 - 40 of 109 Posts