Overclock.net banner

12th BOINC Pentathlon | May 5th-19th 2021

10064 Views 148 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  tictoc

What is this event all about?

The BOINC Pentathlon is a two week long BOINC team competition. Five different projects will be crunched over the two week period.

The BOINC Pentathlon consists of 5 disciplines:
  1. Marathon (14 days)
  2. Sprint (3 days)
  3. City Run (5 days)
  4. Cross Country (5 days)
  5. Javelin (5x 1 day, only each team's third best daily score counts)

The fun and challenging aspect of the Pentathlon is resource management. The 5 "disciplines" are run over a 14 day period, so each "discipline" overlaps another discipline. Figuring out what to run, and when to run it, is what makes the Pentathlon a unique and challenging BOINC points race.

• Run-times and projects for each discipline are announced 5 days (Marathon and one other project) or 3 days (Sprint and one other project) before their respective start. Each day of Javelin Throw will be announced three days in advance. Announcement times for all of the disciplines except the Marathon will vary to account for geographic differences in the teams. Announcements can be found on the, main page, via Blog, or Feed.
  • This allows some time to stock up on completed WU's, but it can also be dangerous if you forget to turn in the completed tasks before the deadline. It also adds another twist to resource management, if you are trying to stockpile WU's, while simultaneously running the current active disciplines.

New to BOINC?
Check out the BOINC Essentials Thread for information about BOINC, how to install and use the BOINC client, and what projects are available on the BOINC platform.

Promote the BOINC Pentathlon in your forum signature!
BBCode:
[CENTER][URL=https://www.overclock.net/threads/12th-boinc-pentathlon.1778367/post-28779634][B]12th BOINC Pentathlon - May 5th-19th, 2021[/B][/URL][/CENTER]

OCN Final Overall Ranking: 11th

Disciplines to crunch:

Marathon:
[email protected]
OCN Final Ranking - 15th

Starts: 5/5
Ends: 5/19

Sprint: [email protected]
OCN Final Ranking - 13th

Starts: 5/15
Ends: 5/18

City Run: PrimeGrid
OCN Final Ranking - 11th

Starts: 5/8
Ends: 5/13

Cross Country: [email protected]
OCN Final Ranking - 9th

Starts: 5/11
Ends: 5/16

Javelin Throw: World Community Grid: Microbiome Immunity Project
OCN Final Ranking - 17th

Project Choosing Rules
The rules for choosing projects are the same as for last year's Pentathlon.

• The projects will be chosen by the event organizers
  • Projects from last year's Pentathlon are eligible for this year's Pentathlon
  • There may be more than one GPU project

To have your individual stats for the Pentahlon sign up and fill out the form at the following link:
101 - 120 of 149 Posts

· Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Okies - I've added Einstein and inspite of only requesting the Gamma Ray tasks and no others, I'm only getting Gravitational Search tasks.
I've also switched my workstation over to WCG to try and Bunker some tasks and it says that my I have reached a limit of tasks in progress and that none are available anyhow.
I do have 20 running but it won't give me anymore!
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

EDIT TO ADD: Had to use the cc_config file to fool the thing into thinking I had 800 CPU's before it would give me more work. I forgot what an pain it was to get running on my desktop rig.
WCG will make you complete ~15 work units before it thinks your system is reliable and starts paying attention to the preferences in the BOINC client. Be sure to set that 800 back or you will really get a surprise next time...

· Premium Member
6,192 Posts
I don't know how 16e small numbers compares to 16e V5. V5 was the best of the non-small numbers apps so I would guess between the 16e apps but we may just have to take what we can get.

I have just over 10k WUProp hours for all but 16e V5 where I have 26.5k hours and here are the credits per app. So yeah prob better credit the bigger number.

14e credit287,064 total, 1,857.48 average (7974 tasks)
15e_small credit605,528 total, 17,117.87 average (13762 tasks)
15e credit385,132 total, 14,276.74 average (8753 tasks)
16e_small credit739,850 total, 31,731.40 average (14797 tasks)
16e credit2,768,610 total, 39,885.78 average (21297 tasks)

· Once more into the Fold
3,120 Posts
We just got a nice bump in the City Run. Not sure if someone dropped a bunch of tasks, or if we were the beneficiaries of all the other teams dropping their bunkers.
Most of my pending validated in the last 24 hours, dropped at least 7million so far today.

I am going to finish my MIP bunkers then switch those to NFS. Hoping to get a good Javelin throw this time so we dont have to even try the last and just focus on NFS or SiDock

· Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Most of my pending validated in the last 24 hours, dropped at least 7million so far today.

I am going to finish my MIP bunkers then switch those to NFS. Hoping to get a good Javelin throw this time so we dont have to even try the last and just focus on NFS or SiDock
Sounds like a good plan. (y)

I have just been running SiDock, but I will be putting some cores online for NFS later tonight.

· Premium Member
2,908 Posts
How do I translate 14e, etc to this? The last 2 are the higher credit ones?

lasieved - very small numbers, uses less than 0.5 GB memory, work may be infrequently available
lasievee_small - small numbers, uses up to 0.8 GB memory
lasievee - medium numbers, uses up to 1 GB memory
lasievef_small - large numbers, uses up to 1 GB memory
lasieve5f - huge numbers, uses up to 1.25 GB memory

· aka Fury1184
1,386 Posts
I have been crunching SIDOCK on my 2P. I stopped a couple days ago to bunker WCG. Which I'll drop tomorrow morning after the 4th Javlin throw starts. Got my 980TI, 3080 and 1650S running Einstein. I still got 2 VMs running SIDOCK though (16 cores) on my other 2P.

· Premium Member
1,196 Posts
WCG will make you complete ~15 work units before it thinks your system is reliable and starts paying attention to the preferences in the BOINC client. Be sure to set that 800 back or you will really get a surprise next time...
Thanks for the info - handy to know about the 15 work units. I should have just let it return some results!
I reset the 800 core count as soon as I got work through and made sure to drop the CPU usage to 1% before I set it so high (y)

I have been crunching SIDOCK on my 2P. I stopped a couple days ago to bunker WCG. Which I'll drop tomorrow morning after the 4th Javlin throw starts.
I took my workstation off SiDock to bunker some WCG too. I won't have that much but I will release what I have tomorrow :)
I also have small WCG and NFS Bunkers on my main rig - WCG will go tomorrow and NFS tasks are still building up (y)

· Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Marathon/SiDock: Lost 2 spots today but possible to gain 1 back vs Crystal Dream
City Run/PrimeGrid: OCN finished 11th
Javelin/WCG-MIP: 16th at 844k WCG credit or ~120k BOINC credit. Yesterday we got 133k but not sure how much of the daily WCG crunchers were on MIP.
Cross Country/[email protected]: 7th and 20mil behind H, 13mil ahead of 8th.

Def some opportunities in the CPU projects SiDock and WCG-MIP to move up.

· Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
My [email protected] pending actually went down a couple from this morning to now. 4 less but still less. TSBT let go of 116mil this afternoon.
Mine went down a bit to under 7k.

Today is our best day in WCG - MIP, so stop crunching MIP and save for 5th throw or move to another CPU project. We can't improve in Javelin if we produce more today.
^^ This. Also, no matter what we do on the 5th toss, our best final finish is probably 16th.

· Premium Member
2,908 Posts
I think our fate in Javelin is done, 17th. The only team we could pass above us is no doubt bunkering for the next one since they only have 59K in the 4th toss. We need to put up 1.26M to assure 17th though.

Edit - actually looking more like 18th I think, LITOMYSL also appears to be bunkering and can pass us regardless of our score.

· Once more into the Fold
3,120 Posts
Yeah I messed up MIP and downloaded way more projects than I needed. Finishing those on one PC today, paused the rest on the other PC and switch to SiDock since I cant get tasks for NFS, dropped my NFS bunker from the 3rd PC and still have 70 projects or so on that until I run out. If no more projects available by tomorrow AM all PCs go to SiDock. Freekin part time job managing this Pentathlon, may need to hire someone to help next year....

· Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Yeah I messed up MIP and downloaded way more projects than I needed. Finishing those on one PC today, paused the rest on the other PC and switch to SiDock since I cant get tasks for NFS, dropped my NFS bunker from the 3rd PC and still have 70 projects or so on that until I run out. If no more projects available by tomorrow AM all PCs go to SiDock. Freekin part time job managing this Pentathlon, may need to hire someone to help next year....
I know how you feel. I am only running a few machines this year, but in years past it was many machines plus multiple clients on every machine. It really is like a part time job. :)

101 - 120 of 149 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.