Overclock.net banner

12th BOINC Pentathlon | May 5th-19th 2021

10058 148

What is this event all about?

The BOINC Pentathlon is a two week long BOINC team competition. Five different projects will be crunched over the two week period.

The BOINC Pentathlon consists of 5 disciplines:
  1. Marathon (14 days)
  2. Sprint (3 days)
  3. City Run (5 days)
  4. Cross Country (5 days)
  5. Javelin (5x 1 day, only each team's third best daily score counts)

The fun and challenging aspect of the Pentathlon is resource management. The 5 "disciplines" are run over a 14 day period, so each "discipline" overlaps another discipline. Figuring out what to run, and when to run it, is what makes the Pentathlon a unique and challenging BOINC points race.

• Run-times and projects for each discipline are announced 5 days (Marathon and one other project) or 3 days (Sprint and one other project) before their respective start. Each day of Javelin Throw will be announced three days in advance. Announcement times for all of the disciplines except the Marathon will vary to account for geographic differences in the teams. Announcements can be found on the, main page, via Blog, or Feed.
  • This allows some time to stock up on completed WU's, but it can also be dangerous if you forget to turn in the completed tasks before the deadline. It also adds another twist to resource management, if you are trying to stockpile WU's, while simultaneously running the current active disciplines.

New to BOINC?
Check out the BOINC Essentials Thread for information about BOINC, how to install and use the BOINC client, and what projects are available on the BOINC platform.

Promote the BOINC Pentathlon in your forum signature!
BBCode:
[CENTER][URL=https://www.overclock.net/threads/12th-boinc-pentathlon.1778367/post-28779634][B]12th BOINC Pentathlon - May 5th-19th, 2021[/B][/URL][/CENTER]

OCN Final Overall Ranking: 11th

Disciplines to crunch:

Marathon:
[email protected]
OCN Final Ranking - 15th

Starts: 5/5
Ends: 5/19

Sprint: [email protected]
OCN Final Ranking - 13th

Starts: 5/15
Ends: 5/18

City Run: PrimeGrid
OCN Final Ranking - 11th

Starts: 5/8
Ends: 5/13

Cross Country: [email protected]
OCN Final Ranking - 9th

Starts: 5/11
Ends: 5/16

Javelin Throw: World Community Grid: Microbiome Immunity Project
OCN Final Ranking - 17th

Project Choosing Rules
The rules for choosing projects are the same as for last year's Pentathlon.

• The projects will be chosen by the event organizers
  • Projects from last year's Pentathlon are eligible for this year's Pentathlon
  • There may be more than one GPU project

To have your individual stats for the Pentahlon sign up and fill out the form at the following link:
141 - 149 of 149 Posts

· Premium Member
1,194 Posts

· aka Fury1184
1,386 Posts
Yeah, no problem really. Just thinking of other ways to do things. I also figured too that the upload and download were the same, so I just blocked the network activity on the client.

I think the easy way to run tasks while blocking uploads, is just to run a few clients.

For Einstein, I loaded up 9 clients with the max of 1000 tasks and then just turned off network activity for the clients. Most projects only have a single upload/download server, so if you block the address through firewall/router/hosts file, then you will block both the upload and the download of work. In years past I have posted the ip addresses of the project's server, but I never did that this year, since it seemed like everyone was cruising along without issue.

You can find the domain name for any project's server/servers that you are attached to, in the client_state.xml file.

· aka Fury1184
1,386 Posts
same here, I don't have what I used to either but I'd still be up to participate.

· Watercooled Railgun
4,681 Posts
Downsizing has definitely become a thing, but i'm always good to go.

· Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Bumping this thread to see if there is any interest in running again this year.
absolutely...even though I don't have near the hardware I used to have, its still fun.
same here, I don't have what I used to either but I'd still be up to participate.
Downsizing has definitely become a thing, but i'm always good to go.
@tictoc want to sign us up?
I was out of town for the last 4 days, and while I was gone I received the invite from SETI.Germany. I'll get us signed up right away, and get a thread up later tonight. :)

141 - 149 of 149 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.