Overclock.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys,
This is my first post in the forum.

I just ordered an Asus PN51 minipc. It's going to be used as a mediaserver in my home and I intend to use it with a 16TB 3.5" HDD.

The problem is that I need both 5v and 12v to power the 3.5" HDD and the minipc only comes with 5v which is intended for 2.5".

What is the most practical way to either transform some power to 12v or provide a separate power source with 12v so I can plug in the 3.5" drive?

I would be happy to hear your suggestions.

· Registered
2,242 Posts
Buy an external USB 3(.2) caddy for the 3.5" drive.
This; have my plex server on a bunch of external drives. USB/the drives’ speeds are both much faster than some of my UHD rips (highest bit rate I know I have is ~90Mbits/s).

• Rep+
Reactions: AtotehZ

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I'll definitely take that into consideration if my father procrastinates. He was talking about transforming some of the 5v to 12v.(he develops hardware for a living)

I do see the benefit of having the HDD shielded as well, which it wouldn't be otherwise.

@Jedi Mind Trick Just out of interest. Do you know how to truly lap a CPU? Thought it might interest you as well considering you put a lot of thought into modding your cpu.
You can watch this if interested:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.