Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,926 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
Technically you might answer "yes" to the question.

CPU gets power from dedicated voltage regulators on the motherboard, which operate from +12V (take +12V as input voltage, output VCore in some 0.8-1.6V range these days). Actually, CPU gets multiple voltages, but all these are generated from +12V. GPU gets power from dedicated voltage regulators on the graphics card, which operate from +12V. Other components on a graphics card may draw a little bit of power from +3.3V, but the GPU itself is getting everything via the +12V rail.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i quote:

"+12V

Info: The +12V rail is the main power rail in modern computers. Modern computers draw 70%-95% of their power from the +12V rail, and the power available at +12V should make up at least 80% of the total wattage, preferably 90% in enthusiast units.
It powers:
CPU
Graphics card
Main motherboard chipsets
Hard drive motors
Optical drive motor
Most fans
Water cooling pumps
PCIe cards
Most PCI cards
"

now, since my 400W PSU has a single 20A +12V rail (240W) which is around 60% of the total wattage its safe to say that my rig below is being raped right?
biggrin.gif

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omari79 View Post

i quote:

"+12V

Info: The +12V rail is the main power rail in modern computers. Modern computers draw 70%-95% of their power from the +12V rail, and the power available at +12V should make up at least 80% of the total wattage, preferably 90% in enthusiast units.
It powers:
CPU
Graphics card
Main motherboard chipsets
Hard drive motors
Optical drive motor
Most fans
Water cooling pumps
PCIe cards
Most PCI cards
"

now, since my 400W PSU has a single 20A +12V rail (240W) which is around 60% of the total wattage its safe to say that my rig below is being raped right?
biggrin.gif
Yeah, I wouldn't even give that PSU to an enemy. It's basically a very low quality 300W PSU at best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts