Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built my system as listed below in June, 2010.

CPU: i7 930 @4.0Ghz
Graphics:XFX 5870
RAM: 6GB Corsair XMS3
Hard Drive: 2 x WD800JD
PSU: Corsair HX750W
Case: Cooler Master 690 II Advanced

I've recently been having trouble with playing Skyrim and Battlefield 3.

I've come to the conclusion that the CPU and RAM are not at fault and that it's the fact that the GPU is getting old as well as the 16x slot is damaged on the motherboard. I plan on upgrading to either a MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozer III or a MSI GTX 580 Twin Frozr II. I shall probably go for the 570 seeing as it's cheaper and would fit the system better.

Which motherboard would you recommend? I'd like to have two 16x PCI-E slots for SLI in the near future, Sata 3 and USB 3.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby. View Post

I built my system as listed below in June, 2010.
CPU: i7 930 @4.0Ghz
Graphics:XFX 5870
RAM: 6GB Corsair XMS3
Hard Drive: 2 x WD800JD
PSU: Corsair HX750W
Case: Cooler Master 690 II Advanced
I've recently been having trouble with playing Skyrim and Battlefield 3.
I've come to the conclusion that the CPU and RAM are not at fault and that it's the fact that the GPU is getting old as well as the 16x slot is damaged on the motherboard. I plan on upgrading to either a MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozer III or a MSI GTX 580 Twin Frozr II. I shall probably go for the 570 seeing as it's cheaper and would fit the system better.
Which motherboard would you recommend? I'd like to have two 16x PCI-E slots for SLI in the near future, Sata 3 and USB 3.
Seeing how 1366 is discontiued. And PCCG used to have them in stock but they have run out D:
You might have some trouble with that.

Some on ebay if you are willing to take a chance.

EDIT: The board I found only supports crossfire.
Sorry.
If I find one on Ebay. Or if PCCG come in stock.
I'll Post them bro.
I know how hard it was to find my current 1366 build.
Its good to help
biggrin.gif

ONES I'VE FOUND:
If you don't mind the postage, tis a nice board
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GIGABYTE-GA-X58A-UD3R-LGA-1366-Intel-X58-SATA-6Gb-s-USB-/120824457004?pt=Motherboards&hash=item1c21b2e72c#ht_6660wt_1163
EVGA X58 SLI 3
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EVGA-131-GT-E767-TR-Desktop-Motherboard-Intel-Socket-B-LGA-1366-131-GT-E767-/250899864869?pt=Motherboards&hash=item3a6acc1d25#ht_4586wt_1163

And this one gets my vote
Asus SABERTOOTH x58
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Asus-SABERTOOTH-x58-LGA1366-USB3-0-SLI-ATX-MAINBOARD-Retail-Box-/310367345996?pt=Motherboards&hash=item484355dd4c#ht_4592wt_1163

One I found for a nice price
SAPPHIRE Pure Black
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SAPPHIRE-Pure-Black-X58-PB-CI7S41X58-Motherboard-ATX-LGA1366-Socket-Intel-/270865151124?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item3f10d23494#ht_3784wt_1396

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you think about the G1 Guerrilla? I've been able to find that at PCDIY which is local.

·
Premium Member
22,339 Posts
Quote:

What do you think about the G1 Guerrilla? I've been able to find that at PCDIY which is local.
My g1 hasn't let me down. Is it at a good price? You need the motherboard to be cheap to make the purchase worth it, since 1366 motherboards are pretty pricey MSRP.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Seeing as money is a concern for you, buying a used board really is the only option for 1366 now. Even if you had an unlimited budget, 1366 new at a retailer isn't worth it and besides you wouldn't even be going 1366 with 1155 and 2011 out. But yeah just browse around in the FS section or other forums that have FS sections. Keep your eyes out for motherboards from ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, etc, as their warranties are usually by serial number and not requiring registration .

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Quote:

Apart from the heatsinks.
Board is very strong.
I'd recommend it

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post

My g1 hasn't let me down. Is it at a good price? You need the motherboard to be cheap to make the purchase worth it, since 1366 motherboards are pretty pricey MSRP.
The G1 is $329 from PCDIY. I've noticed that the price of 1366 boards haven't gone down all that much since I built the system.
Does anyone know as to why Intel discontinued the 1366 socket?
Quote:
Originally Posted by H4rd5tyl3 View Post

Seeing as money is a concern for you, buying a used board really is the only option for 1366 now. Even if you had an unlimited budget, 1366 new at a retailer isn't worth it and besides you wouldn't even be going 1366 with 1155 and 2011 out. But yeah just browse around in the FS section or other forums that have FS sections. Keep your eyes out for motherboards from ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, etc, as their warranties are usually by serial number and not requiring registration .
Money isn't all that much of a concern I'd just like to keep this "Upgrade" under $700 with a graphics card.
Quote:
This board looks mad with the built in wireless and bluetooth!

I've been looking for the Rampage III black edition here in Australia and majority of the retailers I know of only stock the IV.

Thanks for all your help guys! I was half way through the reply till the boss walked in and told me to get back to work..

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post

The G1 is $329 from PCDIY. I've noticed that the price of 1366 boards haven't gone down all that much since I built the system.
Does anyone know as to why Intel discontinued the 1366 socket?

Dude it's like 4 years old now. They are coming out with 2011 processors to replace them. 1155 replaced 1156 and 2011 replaced 1366.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0st. View Post

I've been thinking about moving to 1155, so that would include selling my E760. PM if you're interested? No USB 3.0, but it's a pretty bangin' board
tongue.gif
Why're you moving to 1155? To be honest I'm not to keen on Evga stuff at the moment as my current board is an Evga x58 sli le which has pretty much died on me.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Quote:

Why're you moving to 1155? To be honest I'm not to keen on Evga stuff at the moment as my current board is an Evga x58 sli le which has pretty much died on me.
Hmmm, that's odd. I love my e760, reliable as hell. Have you contacted eVGA at all? Their RMA is pretty out standing, I'm sure you could sort something out.

I'm going for an mATX more rendering/encoding build for new gameplay channel, so 16GB and 2600K OC'd. 2011 is crazy expensive.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Hmmm, that's odd. I love my e760, reliable as hell. Have you contacted eVGA at all? Their RMA is pretty out standing, I'm sure you could sort something out.
I'm going for an mATX more rendering/encoding build for new gameplay channel, so 16GB and 2600K OC'd. 2011 is crazy expensive.
I haven't bothered contacting evga as it's out of warranty.

Oh fair enough.
I've noticed that 2011 is stupid expensive thus far.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Quote:

I haven't bothered contacting evga as it's out of warranty.
Oh fair enough.
I've noticed that 2011 is stupid expensive thus far.
Yep, I mean it'd cream everything you've thrown at it, but I can get a motherboard, ram and a CPU for the price of just a 2011 chip.

Also with the warranty, give it a go. I've heard of eVGA being pretty amazing in terms of warranty, people have paid them to do the repairs or something after they've voided warranty. Or, just buy my board
biggrin.gif

but seriously, do you have an account on OCAU? I've seen a bunch of 1366 gear going out lately.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Yep, I mean it'd cream everything you've thrown at it, but I can get a motherboard, ram and a CPU for the price of just a 2011 chip.
Also with the warranty, give it a go. I've heard of eVGA being pretty amazing in terms of warranty, people have paid them to do the repairs or something after they've voided warranty. Or, just buy my board
biggrin.gif

but seriously, do you have an account on OCAU? I've seen a bunch of 1366 gear going out lately.
That's ridiculous!

I might give it a go. If I can get the motherboard working properly again then that's more money I can spend on a graphics card!

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Quote:

That's ridiculous!
I might give it a go. If I can get the motherboard working properly again then that's more money I can spend on a graphics card!
Haha, I like the way you think, good sir!

I'm pretty sure it was graphics cards they did it for, might've been fat_italian_stallion that did it, check out his Dream Machine build, I think that's where I saw it. Still, it should apply for motherboards.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Haha, I like the way you think, good sir!
I'm pretty sure it was graphics cards they did it for, might've been fat_italian_stallion that did it, check out his Dream Machine build, I think that's where I saw it. Still, it should apply for motherboards.
I think it's a pretty good way of looking at things!

I've had experience with more laptop manufactures as an ASP dealing with RMA's but I did lodge a few support tickets with XFX in regards to my graphics card which I thought was at fault but their testing came back fine..

Just lodged a support ticket with EVGA and got no response saying it was submitted.. Interesting.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Quote:

I think it's a pretty good way of looking at things!
I've had experience with more laptop manufactures as an ASP dealing with RMA's but I did lodge a few support tickets with XFX in regards to my graphics card which I thought was at fault but their testing came back fine..
Just lodged a support ticket with EVGA and got no response saying it was submitted.. Interesting.
I'm sure they'll get around to it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts