Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Im gonna buy 144 hz 24 inch monitor..
Which one should i get? I heard about BenQ that they breaks up.
I found like ASUS VGE248QE and AOC g2460pqu but i know there's more that only those models
tongue.gif

Im worried about buying one of BenQ monitor beacuse like after 1 or 2 years or even after warrancy they can break up ( mostly heard about old capacitors inside
smile.gif
)
So what do you think and which one 144 hz should i get?
Almost forgot - i can afford to buy monitor to ~350$ ( 300 euro )

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Get the cheapest 144hz display, AOC's

·
Facepalm
9,874 Posts
Eh? Capacitor problem was from awhile ago, and that was NOT limited to Benq.
VG248QE (as long as you get one without the high refresh rate scanlines/lightboost scanlines problem) is a good monitor to start on. Very nice and vibrant (if somewhat oversaturated and some shades overempathized) in Theater mode., and ability to use lightboost through the Strobelight program on AMD And Nvidia gpu's. The VG and Benq 24" panels (This AU Optronics panel is also used in XL2411T and XL2420T, XL2411Z, XL2420Z) all seem to have an issue with gamma point becoming too low (washed out) at high refresh rates compared to the spot on 60 hz, which means you need an ICC profile for 120 and 144 hz if you want decent gamma. Benq XL2411Z/XL2420Z/XL2430T, all with blur reduction, have their own gamma settings, so you can avoid dealing with ICC profiles. The 27" XL2720Z keeps the exact same gamma point regardless of refresh rate (a big plus).

VG248QE acts far more gracefully with lower custom resolutions you can create in Custom resolution utility (that you may want to use in directX 9 games) than the Benq does...the Benq is more hit and miss, while the Asus eats everything you can throw at it. Benq, for example shows 'Out of range (even though you still get a fully working screen and can 'close" the error, but lose OSD access) at every 85 hz refresh rate under 1920x1080 (Unless it's GPU scaled from [email protected] annoying to deal with even though you can still USE the refresh rate), while the VG248QE happily runs at display scaled [email protected], [email protected], etc. I found [email protected] hz shows "out of range" every other time you try to switch to it, [email protected] out of range every time (you can still use the screen) and [email protected] works fine apparently. Bizarre. I suspect the out of range 85 hz errors are from the VGA side of things, since [email protected] hz works perfectly if you create it as a detailed resolution, and if you use DSUB in windows 7, the only refresh rates available are 60, 75 and 120. (100 hz works up to 1024x768 in dsub mode, [email protected] hz works in DVI mode as a custom resolution, although it shows 60hz on the OSD).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see.
Thank for reply anyways.
I'm gonna use it mostly for fast FPS like cs:go - probably in FHD on CS:GO sometimes when i wanna try something diffrent i change to 1600x1080 and one time i played 1280x960 for some time. At all i prefer 1920x1080 FHD
smile.gif

So, after your reply you're saying that safer buy is gonna be the ASUS one? Most people playing cs:go competive are using ASUS or BenQ.
Also there's coo list of those 144 hz monitors: http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/120hz-monitors/
I got the PC with i5-4590 and gtx 970 so there won't be problem with FPS i think.
If you were me which one you would pick? Now I'm really thinking about ASUS ..

edit: what do you think about Philips 242G5DJEB ?? it has TFT not TN

·
Facepalm
9,874 Posts
If you have an Nvidia card, DEFINITELY get the Benq. Zero advantages over the Asus for gaming, except no theater mode (Asus theater mode has some unique green/yellow color tones you can't reproduce on a Benq no matter what presets you adjust), and if you don't like benq blur reduction's extra ghosting over lightboost mode, you can easily unlock lightboost on all of the Benq Z monitors (XL2430T does not have lightboost anymore) with the inf/CRU overrides, if you decide you want less ghosting but purple tint/washed out/no control over color adjustments. (With VG248QE you're limited to either normal sample and hold or Lightboost blur reduction). Benq also has gamma adjustment in OSD. Asus will require ICC profiles.

Yes Asus handles lower resolutions and refresh rates (especially stuff like [email protected] hz, [email protected] hz) correctly while the Benq says "out of range" even though the picture still works....)-much- better than the Benq, but if you get one that works with the Benq, you can use the Benq OSD's superior display scaling options to adjust the screen as you see fit. Also if you like 4:3 aspect ratio, forget about 1280x960 on a 1080p panel.....use 1440x1080 custom resolution (120hz), with 1:1 display scaling in the OSD (or 1:1 in GPU drivers)!!!

The out of range errors around 85 hz (not at [email protected]) seem to have something to do with VGA compatibility since VGA (dsub) modes only work at 60, 75 and 120hz (100 hz works at most low resolutions if forced via an override). I'm pretty sure this is the reason, because the PANEL can handle 85 hz at low resolutions just fine, and displays a fully working picture, just the OSD bugs out and shows "out of range", since this is still a digital panel, despite the option for dsub...in DVI mode, the OSD bugs out, yet the panel still accepts the image VG248QE seems like it can display every refresh rate from 60 to 129 hz at most resolutions (1600x1200 seems to cause out of range black screens)..

AMD users can't unlock lightboost on Benq Z series so you're limited only to benq blur reduction. Use Vertical Total 1500 tweak for best results here. (for 100hz, you can use all default timings with a custom resolution with VT 1500 without a pixel clock patcher as you will ibe right at 330.00 MHz exactly; For 120hz, best to use front porch 48/3, sync width 32/5, horizontal total 2080, VT 1500 for 374.40 pixel clock, and will require the toastyx patcher to bypass 330.00 MHz limit).

27" XL2720Z has a unique advantage over the 24" in that it keeps a 1000:1 contrast ratio in 3d vision Lightboost mode (24" can't come close), and the gamma point DOES NOT CHANGE ONE BIT with refresh rate...whatever you set at 60hz remains the same at 120 and 144 hz ! So no needing ICC profiles to adjust the gamma (but you may still want a calibrated ICC profile to tweak the gamma and deltas closer to what you want).

I have two Asus VG248QE's and a Benq XL 2720Z, and the only thing I miss from my Asus screens are the ability to use EVERY custom refresh rate and low resolution --correctly-- without strange bizarre "out of range" sync errors, and the vibrant theater mode (only possible when not using lightboost). But ever since I found out I can create 1440x1080, if the game can use it, the Benq works perfectly. Some VERY OLD games won't go higher than 1024x768, however...

• Rep+
Reactions: KarlAzytzeen

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will then definitely get the BenQ XL2411Z. Mostly beacuse i don't wanna spen more money on xl2420T- actually whats the diffrence between them? 2411Z is older version? And between XL2430T, XL2420Z

·
Facepalm
9,874 Posts
Avoid XL2420T! That's very old, before benq blur reduction (ONLY has lightboost).. In fact I think the oldet original T model. XL2420TE was newer than that.
XL 2430T is --newer-- than XL2420Z. It's based on XL2420Z but without NVidia 3d vision (no lightboost) but WITH benq blur reduction, digital vibrance and other changes.

I think the reason why they didn't name the 2430T as a 2430Z is, the 2430Z is an upcoming freesync model (like 2730Z).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, today i came to home with XL2411Z
smile.gif

First impression - 144 hz is just amazing love that **** ..
Still need some setting, so im playing mostly cs:go which setting should i make?
I got blur reduction ON brightness like 75 and i think its all that i changed, what things will make my perfomance better on cs:go competive?
Ofcourse i took 144 hz on resolution options in windows
smile.gif

I got the BenQ CD but theres no drivers, do i need some drivers to install? 144hz looks working but on CD there's only link to site where i can find link to BenQ site where i can find some instructions, warnings etc. ( some ****s)
What do you think guys?

·
Facepalm
9,874 Posts
Best settings for CS: GO:

1) 4:3 resolution:
Download CRU: http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU
Download driver restarter, pixel clock patcher (for VT tweaks and pixel clock >330.00 MHz or VT tweaks don't work)

Create custom DETAILED resolution 1440x1080 @ 120 hz (not 100 hz).
Add, press OK, restart driver with the restarter. Switch to [email protected], enter monitor OSD and display mode (picture advanced) 1:1 or aspect for perfect 1:1 pixel mapping at 4:3 aspect and no black borders at top or bottom of screen. If you want 100 hz instead of 120hz at 1:1, use the video card driver panel to set aspect or 1:1.

(due to a bug or something, creating [email protected] hz as a detailed resolution will grey out all the aspect settings (except the screen emulation sizes) in the OSD, forcing FULL SCREEN at 100 hz and the video card driver panel will also ignore scaling settings (since it will think 100hz is controlled by the monitor) and only 120hz will be controlled by the video driver scaling settings (1:1 and 4:3).

Drawback: can't use VT 1500 tweak at 1440x1080 unless you use video card 1:1 scaling for 4:3 (still requires you to create a 120hz one if you also want 100hz video driver scaled); VT tweaks prevent monitor OSD scaling from working correctly.

2) Native resolution:
Create custom resolution [email protected] hz
Front porch 88, 4
Sync width 44,5
Horizontal total 2200, vertical total 1500.
Front porch 88, 4
Sync width 44,5
Pixel clock will be exactly 330.00 mhz. Will not need AMD or NVidia patcher unless using VT 1502 (highest possible).
VT 1502 requires pixel clock patcher (330.44 MHz)
restart driver.
MAKE SURE STROBE PHASE IS SET TO 000 IN THE SERVICE MENU (you can also use blur busters windows utility to set it to far left which is 000).
Default strobe phase of 100 will cause a black screen. Strobe phase of 060 or higher turns off the backlight at 100hz with VT tweak (goes up to 100 phase without VT tweak)

3) native resolution:
Create custom resolution [email protected]
front porch 48, 3
sync width 32, 5
Horizontal total 2080 (NOT 2200)
Vertical total 1500 (1502 is buggy on XL2720Z at 120hz, sometimes strobe gets laggy/pulsating)
Pixel clock 374.40 MHz <---
Requires amd/NVidia pixel clock patcher.

MAKE SURE STROBE PHASE IS SET TO 000 IN THE SERVICE MENU (you can also use blur busters windows utility to set it to far left which is 000).
Default strobe phase of 100 will cause a black screen. Strobe phase of 051 or higher turns off the backlight at 120hz, goes to 100 without VT tweak

Drawback of VT tweaks:
Can NOT use monitor OSD scaling OR OSD screen size emulations with VT tweaks, aspects get all messed up.
Enjoy.

·
Facepalm
9,874 Posts
Yeah that guide is basically the same thing. Probably some extra stuff in there.
Keep in mind VT 1502 does not work reliably at 120hz on every Z series monitor. On the XL2720Z, it either works perfectly or starts getting strobe jitter pulses and frame lag (seems to be random if it does it or not, if it initializes correctly it works). VT 1500 works perfectly.
on XL 2411Z at 120hz, 85 hz with VT 1500 (ONLY at 1920x1080; any lower resolution says 'out of range (Firmware bug. display still shows a screen) works great on XL2411Z but not on XL2720Z. On XL2720Z it's unusuable, max is VT 1350. However funny enough, 84 hz on XL2720Z works fine with VT 1500 (Vt 1502 causes backlight pulsing and stutters)

144 hz can't accept Vertical Total tweaks, because 144 hz is not a standard refresh rate. It uses reduced blank timings already, so it can't accept a VT change without going out of range. You would usually use 144 hz only WITHOUT blur reduction unless the bottom of the screen isn't what you look at (a hud that covers the complete bottom would make 144 hz with benq blur reduction ok to use).

Usually you would use 100 or 120hz with blur reduction since they accept VT tweaks. 3D Lightboost mode does accelerated scanout through hardware so there is no strobe crosstalk in Lightboost mode. VT tweaks accelerate the scanout (in a slightly different way than Lightboost) for Benq blur reduction to help reduce strobe crosstalk close to lightboost levels.

The purpose of VT tweaks is to improve/reduce the amount of strobe pulse crosstalk that you see on the screen by forcing the LC panel to update faster e.g. accelerated scanout (more specifically, raising the vertical total to 1350 or 1500 (1502 is the maximum but sometimes doesn't work) helps push the bottom side strobe pulse crosstalk further down or off the screen. This will reduce considerably the amount of thick inverse ghosting and double image you get at the bottom part of the screen (for refresh rates that work with VT 1500, using a 1500 VT under 90 hz removes all crosstalk at the bottom of the screen).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got a problem.
When i try start blur busters it says that it didnt see my monitor..
I got dci ON like it said on page.
Also i didnt install any driver.. ANY! on my cd theres nothing i thing i can find to install is driver, maybe this is a problem?
Only downloaded pilot driver from benq site but its fked up and it fked my setting so i unistalled it..
Any solutions?

·
Facepalm
9,874 Posts
There's an INF file on the CD for your monitor. It works I installed it myself.
You also have to make sure that BURN IN MODE is off
If it's on, you will see an ORANGE light on the touch sensitive power button when you turn on the monitor and get a screen in wnidows, instead of a white light.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I cant really find that INF file on the CD...
My CD include those files : http://i.imgur.com/5WEeAut.png
When i go into Driver file -> XL2411Z it shows this: http://i.imgur.com/F8AVBQz.png

Where i can find BURN IN MODE? I search on monitor menu and i couldnt find that anywhere.
Also like u said when i turn on my monitor the light is kinda yellow, maybe its orange and im dumb but im sure that it not white.

·
Facepalm
9,874 Posts
Turn on driver extensions.
You're looking at the INF file right in front of you.

If your light is yellow (I meant, orange) it means burn in mode is on.

You need to enter the factory service menu.
HOLD ENTER AND MENU for FIVE SECONDS with the monitor powered off. Then press POWER and then release all 3 buttons. If you did it right, you will not get a 'DVI" or hdmi prompt or the eye care logo. then press exit to enter the burn in menu
smile.gif

Then turn off burn-in mode.

the regular service menu is holding down "menu" for 5 seconds with the power button off, pressing power while holding down menu then releasing.

Factory menu is enter+menu.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had BurnIn mode OFF, but when i change to ON it was orange i think for me
biggrin.gif
turned again to OFF and its yellow i think, dunno. Anyways its OFF
I dont really know what you mean by turn on driver extensions, where it is. Is it in those folders on CD? ON cd i cant find INF file.. Sorry for that but still im confused
edit: i think its just open INF file by other program or smth like that? But still i cant find this INF file:/

·
Facepalm
9,874 Posts
That file that you showed in your screenshot IS the inf file.
You just don't have file extensions enabled in your windows explorer.
You can enable it under file types in the explorer options menu.

You install that file.
Also maybe your led is different; I don't think the XL2411Z has touch sensitive buttons.
The XL2420Z and 2720Z has the buttons on the right bezel side, vertically and they are all white LED (but the power button goes orange or red for burnin/standby mode), with a "NVidia lightboost 3d" green LED under that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So you mean that bottom file ?
biggrin.gif
i right click and click install and then i have error that this INF file doeasnt support that method of installation..
I can open it by notepad but and it says there that its setupfile for xl2411z bla bla... Do i need some program to run this **** out? im pissed now

i think my file is broken. ^

·
Facepalm
9,874 Posts
You add it through either device manager, or you add it through "Display" (if using small icons)" -.advanced in windows control panel, click on monitors, then click on "update driver" or something.
But now you know it's an inf file.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you so much for this ...
Well if you wouldnt tell me that i think i couldnt find solution to this...
BenQ should just do this like double click on this file and driver should install instantly, it was first time i installed driver that way.
Anyways thank you, now im going to set my setting till the end hope there wont gonna be any problem.
P.S If will be, I'm gonna post right here
smile.gif

P.S2 What RGB setting are you using ? I find that red is ****ty and i have it on 70,90 green and 100 blue, still think that i need to change something ^.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts