Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to finally get a 144hz or above monitor but I'm getting confused with all the variations out there so I was hoping I might be able to get some help.

It will be primarily used for competitive first person shooters but I would like a decent colour range as I'll be doing photography work on the same computer.

I am a Nvidia user and I don't see that changing so gsync sounds useful but that's where some of my confusion starts as I see some people using Freesync monitors with Nvidia cards and it just makes me wonder if it's just because they're cheaper.

I probably want to stick with 24" and up. Not sure what else to put so ask away if I've missed something.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,853 Posts
GSYNC/FreeSync add less input lag than vsync, but it still adds a measurable/noticeable amount. I don't use it so that's why I'm running a NVIDIA GPU with a freesync panel. :)

If you're doing image or video work, I'd go for an IPS panel for color accuracy and black levels. TN/VA has better response time than IPS panels, but it's up to you if ~1ms vs ~4ms is something you're willing to give up. I personally won't ever go for another TN panel after going IPS.

If you don't care about GSYNC - Nixeus NX-EDG27S - 27", 1440p, 144hz, and IPS. FreeSync only.

If you do care about GSYNC - Acer XB271HU - 27", 1440p, 165hz, and IPS. GSYNC.

If you're willing to drop the IPS requirement, the Dell S2716DGR is a 27" 1440p 144hz GSYNC panel as well but it's TN.

·
Loosing Vision
1,885 Posts
Is it possible for you to use dual monitors, get one that will support the ISP so productivity is more important then the gaming? I got this old Acer GN246HL that is refubished and for games it is great... it is RGB and SDR so that is probably a deal killer.

There is many out there to choose from but response time and Hz plus the color format may cause a sacrifice. I don't think you need to spend up on 4k's

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
GSYNC/FreeSync add less input lag than vsync, but it still adds a measurable/noticeable amount.I don't use it so that's why I'm running a NVIDIA GPU with a freesync panel. :)

If you're doing image or video work, I'd go for an IPS panel for color accuracy and black levels. TN/VA has better response time than IPS panels, but it's up to you if ~1ms vs ~4ms is something you're willing to give up. I personally won't ever go for another TN panel after going IPS.

If you don't care about GSYNC - Nixeus NX-EDG27S - 27", 1440p, 144hz, and IPS. FreeSync only.

If you do care about GSYNC - Acer XB271HU - 27", 1440p, 165hz, and IPS. GSYNC.

If you're willing to drop the IPS requirement, the Dell S2716DGR is a 27" 1440p 144hz GSYNC panel as well but it's TN.
No it doesnt, have you even read or taken a look at the tests done for gsync 101 on blurbusters? The delay added from gsync is <1ms That is not a noticeable amount, a noticeable amount is >5ms and even then a lot of folks wont notice until it gets into double digits of added delay. Also consider someone has a total delay of 5ms in their setup and someone else has 10ms, unless your reflexes are that of a 16 year old korean player your performance wont suffer because of 5ms of extra delay, you'll just get used to it.

I've cycled between 60hz and 165hz on my monitor and after a few days on 60hz i've adjusted to the lower refresh and higher delay and can still be competitive in a game like Overwatch. Though 165hz is a totally different world, id say the advantage of 165hz over 60hz is less about the reduced overall delay, but just getting more frames of information makes tracking targets significantly easier so you can be more accurate.

If the OP is looking for a competitive gaming monitor but also something that'd be good for color work then one of the 1440p 144hz AHVA monitors would foot the bill, but depending on how serious the color work is there isn't a single 144hz monitor that would be good enough for that. The same for competitive gaming, although a 144hz IPS is pretty good, it can't hold a candle to a fast 144hz TN or one of the 240hz TNs.

It's a real shame too, i look at my OLED with its instant pixel response and wish i could just have that display tech in a 1440p 240hz monitor, burn in be damned i'll enjoy the heck out of a monitor like that. I won't be upgrading my S2417DG until a worthwhile microLED monitor comes along. For now i'll use the crappy TN for my competitive needs and the OLED TV for everything else.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,853 Posts
No it doesnt, have you even read or taken a look at the tests done for gsync 101 on blurbusters? The delay added from gsync is <1ms That is not a noticeable amount, a noticeable amount is >5ms and even then a lot of folks wont notice until it gets into double digits of added delay. Also consider someone has a total delay of 5ms in their setup and someone else has 10ms, unless your reflexes are that of a 16 year old korean player your performance wont suffer because of 5ms of extra delay, you'll just get used to it.

I've cycled between 60hz and 165hz on my monitor and after a few days on 60hz i've adjusted to the lower refresh and higher delay and can still be competitive in a game like Overwatch. Though 165hz is a totally different world, id say the advantage of 165hz over 60hz is less about the reduced overall delay, but just getting more frames of information makes tracking targets significantly easier so you can be more accurate.

If the OP is looking for a competitive gaming monitor but also something that'd be good for color work then one of the 1440p 144hz AHVA monitors would foot the bill, but depending on how serious the color work is there isn't a single 144hz monitor that would be good enough for that. The same for competitive gaming, although a 144hz IPS is pretty good, it can't hold a candle to a fast 144hz TN or one of the 240hz TNs.

It's a real shame too, i look at my OLED with its instant pixel response and wish i could just have that display tech in a 1440p 240hz monitor, burn in be damned i'll enjoy the heck out of a monitor like that. I won't be upgrading my S2417DG until a worthwhile microLED monitor comes along. For now i'll use the crappy TN for my competitive needs and the OLED TV for everything else.
https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/3/

this is significant, at up to 58.1ms of additional input lag. At 240Hz, where a single frame is worth far less (4.2ms), a 3 1/2 frame delay is comparatively insignificant, at up to 14.7ms.
14-58ms is definitely noticeable.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,853 Posts

·

72 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone that has contributed so far. You've answered and clarified so many things and even brought up things I hadn't thought about.

I'm gathering that for what I want I'm inbetween two techs so I'm starting to think that I'll take the path of two monitors, one for each purpose, though I will settle on the gaming one for now.

With that in mind I am thinking I want that 1ms and higher potential frame rates so this is what I'll look at. From what I'm reading so far I see reviewers saying that to run a 240hz monitor you'd need a "monster rig" but with no added info. I'd be looking at a 1080Ti so would this be enough to push those frames out close to max?

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Such monitor/panel does not exist. The AUO M270DAN2.x is a rarity to find one that doesn't suck and could be used for both gaming and graphics.

You don't want TN or VA for graphics. Either a decent IPS or OLED/etc.
What are good OLED monitors?

·
Registered
3,217 Posts

:headscrat

Guess that's why so many pros use freesync/gsync because it adds no input latency

:rolleyes:

Why are you looking at 60hz? Do Pros play at 60hz? Most pros aren't knowledgeable about this tech, they use either what their sponsors give them or pick some recommended high hz gaming monitor and a mouse/kb that suits them and go.

If it wasn't obvious you can click to the right of those charts there and see results for higher refresh rates. Any self respecting pro will be on 144hz at least, and 240hz if they can afford it which if they're actually pro they probably already have a 240hz monitor provided for them. At those higher refresh rates gsync delay is almost nonexistent compared to vsync off, like i said its in the realm of just 1ms of delay, no one will notice that delay, but having perfect frame delivery will definitely be noticeable. I immediately notice the difference of having gsync on or off even at 200+ fps back when i was playing around with an alienware AW2518H. 2ms difference at 240hz in csgo at 2000 fps vs 238 fps limit and gsync. Yeah i'll choose gsync every single time for all of its benefits while swallowing a 2ms input lag deficit, and at the same time keep the PC from overexerting itself for no reason pushing 1k+ fps using more power and in the end costing me more $ in bills.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
What are good OLED monitors?
There are none, if you're doing professional photo editing a good IPS is the best choice if you want an actual monitor but the real best option (going on image quality) is an TV OLED by far. Unfortunately all ones currently available are gimped with the bandwidth of their HDMI ports but you can still do 4k/30 or 1080p/120 with them.
If you are getting one monitor just for gaming 240hz is definitely and option but as they increase the refresh rate the image quality can suffer for it but that's up to you.
As for the rig needed to run it that really depends on a lot of things (especially what game you're playing). At 1080p using your typical shooter games you don't actually need the 1080ti (but it would help), what you actually need is a fast CPU. You can lower a lot of settings to ease the load on the GPU so no matter how you split it you'll need a fast CPU. 144hz 1440p IMO is great, I wouldn't consider 240hz/1080p/TN myself unless I were a pro gamer. If you only want lower input lag you can run 144hz at 240/288fps to achieve that but that's up to you, like I said I'd never go back to 1080p/TN.

To get that kind of frame rate I'd want a 5ghz capable chip from Intel, depending on the game you may or may not need hyperthreading. What I mean is in some games that wouldn't benefit from HT you may be better of with a higher clocked 8600k than a lower clocked 8700k.

EDIT: If you can run past your monitor's refresh rate, what's the point in G-sync? Most pros (that I've seen) run unlimited (or at the engine's max FPS (300 for CSGO)).

·
Registered
3,747 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I look back at IPS then the options available in my neck of the woods are:

ASUS PG279Q
Acer XB271HU

I've read in reviews that there can be quality control issues with both models but I can't really see a better option.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
If I look back at IPS then the options available in my neck of the woods are:

ASUS PG279Q
Acer XB271HU

I've read in reviews that there can be quality control issues with both models but I can't really see a better option.
I would go for the ASUS PG279Q IPS.:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts