Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered everything I need for my new system but am completely stuck on what cpu. I was thinking an Oteron 146 but with recent price increases they have gone up to around £160 for lesser CACJEs. For that price I could get a 3700 San Diago core. Which would be better bearing in mind I will want to overclock it as far as I can go?

Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,625 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Mother Lover

I have ordered everything I need for my new system but am completely stuck on what cpu. I was thinking an Oteron 146 but with recent price increases they have gone up to around £160 for lesser CACJEs. For that price I could get a 3700 San Diago core. Which would be better bearing in mind I will want to overclock it as far as I can go?

Thanks

Toss a coin, there's simply no way to answer that without knowing both chips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
I would say go with the 146, they are better overclockers than the 148's as I have seen. Even though you would expect it to be the same core, just a lower multi. But it's up to you, determine if it's better for you to have a x11 multi or a x10 multi. If your memory would like a x11 multi for 1:1 performance, get the 3700. If it doesn't matter, then I would get the 146.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,782 Posts
The newer stepping 3700's are better that the first ones that came out. I would get a new 3700. But thats just me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,303 Posts
I have a 3700, I went through the same purchasing decision you went through. Nota Bene: DFI and other companies do not support the 939 series Opterons, so I got a 3700 so that I'd have warranty support.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
160 Posts
I'd personally go with the 3700. The 3700 is more overclockable, as far as I know. I've got mine to a stable 2.8 GHz without even upping the vcore. I can hit 3.1 GHz if I really try, and with better RAM, I could probably push it to around 3.3-3.4ish. The 3700 is better than the 146, but I think the 148 is a little better than the 3700. If you're going for an Opty, don't settle for less than the 148. It's basically the same as a 3700, but slightly more OCable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,955 Posts
i love my opty 148. its running a slow 3 GHz now, but my GSkills are comin today so im gonna try and run 1:1 tonight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Zardokk

I'd personally go with the 3700. The 3700 is more overclockable, as far as I know. I've got mine to a stable 2.8 GHz without even upping the vcore. I can hit 3.1 GHz if I really try, and with better RAM, I could probably push it to around 3.3-3.4ish. The 3700 is better than the 146, but I think the 148 is a little better than the 3700. If you're going for an Opty, don't settle for less than the 148. It's basically the same as a 3700, but slightly more OCable.

I have highlighted areas that are not necessarity true. I would love to see proof of your cpu even prime stable at 3.0. You are dreaming....
As far as the 146, it IS a better overclocking chip than the 3700+, and the 146 would still be the better choice if the same price or cheaper than the san diego.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,204 Posts
there is no proof that opterons ar "better" you ppl need to take your heads outta your booty's and wake up this is just like that dothan fad. Im sick of hearing the opteron is the superior chip wheres the proof i see no difference between my chip and a 148?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,303 Posts
Guys..please...

The Opteron and San Diego lines are both very good overclockers if you get a good stepping. At any given day, you could get a 3700 with a killer stepping that kicks any Opteron's butt, but also the reverse...Both overclock very well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
you can argue this for days, the opterons are the better overclocking chips. And people have better odds of getting an opteron to clock high versus a sandiego.
Sandiego's are more hit and miss. Opterons are not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have went for the 3700 in the end. I got it for £130 which is cheaper I could get any opty. I didnt want to go as far as a 148 either. I will be using a lanparty board so will benefit from an intact warranty (not that I care that much about that). The newest optys available are all poorer cacjes unless you shell out around £180 for a better stepping. Whereas the 3700s are at thier prime and are now slightly cheaper (in the uk). Anyway I will see went I get it and see how far I can push it.

Thanks for the help.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,625 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by tytlyf

you can argue this for days, the opterons are the better overclocking chips. And people have better odds of getting an opteron to clock high versus a sandiego.
Sandiego's are more hit and miss. Opterons are not.

Find 2 systems with the same parts and benchmark an Opteron versus a San Diego at equal clock speeds and tell me what you see. It'd be nice if 2 people with identical systems except the processor would be willing to do this. Clock speed isn't everything.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
the 2 systems will probably perform the same, but I would say the memory controller is better on the opteron due to the server specifications and testing....that's the only difference.
The opterons do clock as high as sandiegos and higher...
Example:
Take 100 opty 148's and 100 3700's.
I would guarantee you that the % of higher clocks would belong to the opterons. I bet 50 optys would be stable at 3.0, and 20 sandiegos. Get off your high horse wax, you dont know what you're talking about.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top