Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,224 Posts
I would say go with the 146, they are better overclockers than the 148's as I have seen. Even though you would expect it to be the same core, just a lower multi. But it's up to you, determine if it's better for you to have a x11 multi or a x10 multi. If your memory would like a x11 multi for 1:1 performance, get the 3700. If it doesn't matter, then I would get the 146.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zardokk

I'd personally go with the 3700. The 3700 is more overclockable, as far as I know. I've got mine to a stable 2.8 GHz without even upping the vcore. I can hit 3.1 GHz if I really try, and with better RAM, I could probably push it to around 3.3-3.4ish. The 3700 is better than the 146, but I think the 148 is a little better than the 3700. If you're going for an Opty, don't settle for less than the 148. It's basically the same as a 3700, but slightly more OCable.

I have highlighted areas that are not necessarity true. I would love to see proof of your cpu even prime stable at 3.0. You are dreaming....
As far as the 146, it IS a better overclocking chip than the 3700+, and the 146 would still be the better choice if the same price or cheaper than the san diego.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
you can argue this for days, the opterons are the better overclocking chips. And people have better odds of getting an opteron to clock high versus a sandiego.
Sandiego's are more hit and miss. Opterons are not.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
the 2 systems will probably perform the same, but I would say the memory controller is better on the opteron due to the server specifications and testing....that's the only difference.
The opterons do clock as high as sandiegos and higher...
Example:
Take 100 opty 148's and 100 3700's.
I would guarantee you that the % of higher clocks would belong to the opterons. I bet 50 optys would be stable at 3.0, and 20 sandiegos. Get off your high horse wax, you dont know what you're talking about.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
where i get my information is from multiple forums and here. It's not hard to search around and see what people are achieving with their chips.
That's the proof, do a search....if a sandiego hits 3.0 stable, its an achievement and most people give props, if an opty hits 3.0, it's overlooked because its very common....open your eyes guys...geezuz

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by erauman

Btw...why is yours only at 2.9ghz, with the help of a nice z9500, the integrated heat sink removed, and probably some as5?

2.9 is plenty enough speed for me and i can run it stable with 1.5v. Voltages are lower so things are cooler. Ever since I added this second hard drive in raid things have been getting a little weird, like my chipset temperature...
I can run 3.0 just fine and loads dont break 46c. But it requires 1.6v for prime stability. So everythings warmer at that speed.
If I really wanted to I could run 3.1 prime stable, i've already posted my 32M stability at that speed. That requires 1.66v.
This chip can handle some serious voltage....I've pushed it close to 1.8v (dont try this at home) trying to reach its limits....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.