Overclock.net banner

146 vs 3700

1828 28
I have ordered everything I need for my new system but am completely stuck on what cpu. I was thinking an Oteron 146 but with recent price increases they have gone up to around £160 for lesser CACJEs. For that price I could get a 3700 San Diago core. Which would be better bearing in mind I will want to overclock it as far as I can go?

Thanks
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have went for the 3700 in the end. I got it for £130 which is cheaper I could get any opty. I didnt want to go as far as a 148 either. I will be using a lanparty board so will benefit from an intact warranty (not that I care that much about that). The newest optys available are all poorer cacjes unless you shell out around £180 for a better stepping. Whereas the 3700s are at thier prime and are now slightly cheaper (in the uk). Anyway I will see went I get it and see how far I can push it.

Thanks for the help.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I have ended up getting a 3700 KAB2E PIB for £135. I am totally happy with it as I would have to spend about another £20 for an opty 146 CACJE which I have read reports of only getting to 2.7-2.8 averagely. I think there was a good reason for the 'opteron fad' as some have called it due to initial cheap prices and great steppings compared with previous 3700 prices. This all now has changed. Reports are that KAB2E's are great (especially when compared to CACJEs) at the same price. 148s might kick ass but then you are talking £200. Thats nearly £70 more.

The extra cost I did not think was worth it when the results are debatable anyway. Even if optys are better, they now cost a little more and have a worse stepping.

I will let you know what I can get my KAB2E on stock before getting a Big Typhoon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.