Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade my headphones (which are currently junk) for my birthday. Heres the facts:

I listen to metal pretty much exclusively.

I want large around-ear headphones, not those little ones that just kinda sit on the outside.

I don't favor any particular set of frequencies as my music has all of them, though they need to sound "powerful."

I don't really want to do any modding to them, I'd prefer they sound good out of the box and stay that way.

I will be driving them from the headphone output on my Forte.

So given this, what would be the best pair for $150?

·
Premium Member
8,183 Posts
the Alessandro's are supraaural (on-ear) as opposed to over the ears (circumaural) like they request.

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by urgrandpasdog View Post
I'm looking to upgrade my headphones (which are currently junk) for my birthday. Heres the facts:

I listen to metal pretty much exclusively.

I want large around-ear headphones, not those little ones that just kinda sit on the outside.

I don't favor any particular set of frequencies as my music has all of them, though they need to sound "powerful."

I don't really want to do any modding to them, I'd prefer they sound good out of the box and stay that way.

I will be driving them from the headphone output on my Forte.

So given this, what would be the best pair for $150?
Well, for metal, it's Grado/Alessandro territory, but you said you want circumaural :\\

You could always do what I did: make custom earpads for them by stitching a pair of earpads from another pair of headphones to the stock earpads. Now mine are circumaural, more comfortable, and they sound better.

Note: that was in the early stages of it. They're much... neater now.

That's what I'd do anyway. I can't imagine listening to metal on something other than Grado/Alessandro.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
No, do not get open headphones if you listen to heavy metal and want the double bass to sound like anything. Open doesn't have good bass response. I've only listened to Sennheiser and Sony, so I can't comment on much else. Right now I have a pair of Sony MDR-7506 and they sound clean and fairly powerful for the variety of metal I listen to - Lamb of God, All That Remans, Devildriver, etc. But I'm sure for $150 you can do better.

·
Premium Member
8,183 Posts
Open do have good bass response. The bass response of the headphone isn't solely determined on if it's open or not. Anyway, the upfront presentation that is the 'Grado sound' + being great for particularly soft rock, makes the MS1 a good choice for bang for buck.

However the Ultrasone HFI780 is only $155 as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ULTRASONE-HFI-78...#ht_2254wt_910

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Well you may be right, and I don't claim to be an audio expert. This has been the experience I have had with open cans.

Also, "soft rock" is worlds different from metal, especially depending on what type of metal the OP is in to.

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Punisher
View Post

Well you may be right, and I don't claim to be an audio expert. This has been the experience I have had with open cans.

Also, "soft rock" is worlds different from metal, especially depending on what type of metal the OP is in to.

There's a reason Alessandro/Grado headphones are the most recommended/sought after for rock and metal music.

Their bass response is pretty damn awesome, and I do listen to metal (I'm listening to Lamb Of God's "Wrath" album just now
)

Quote:

Originally Posted by not available
View Post

ive heard all kinds of headphones, none compare to a 5.1 or anything with an actual subwoofer. just my opinion.

Good 5.1 is super expensive, crap 5.1 is well, crap. And anyway... music isn't meant to be played in surround.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by meticadpa
View Post

Their bass response is pretty damn awesome, and I do listen to metal (I'm listening to Lamb Of God's "Wrath" album just now
)

Wrath? meh. As the Palaces Burn FTW

11th Hour is my favorite song EVAR!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I really love these: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/he...56f/index.html

Not the world leader in bass response, but they have excellent clarity and range, and feel absolutely wonderful to wear. I have no complaints with dark tranquility, lamb of god, soilwork, strapping young lad, or any other metal artist. Sounds right and heavy on these cans. They kind of lack, however, for music like hardstyle or happyhard, or anything otherwise ludicrously bassy.

edit: they're not actually $250... you can find em for like ~$110

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
Eww... AD700 for metal. Sorry, I've tried quite a few cans in the same price range, and the AD700 are probably the worst cans for metal out of the bunch. :\\

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
Ahh yes, I keep forgetting that I'm not a fan of AD700 in general (I know, BLASPHEMY!), they were good for hearing where people are in games, but I didn't find that they allowed me to be immersed in the game at all, and I hated them for everything but classical music which I didn't listen to enough to keep them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts