Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently moved to an apartment which means it's time to get some decent headphones.

Primary use is gaming and music. I mainly listen to metal if that makes a difference.

I've never owned headphones that cost more than $5 and I'm lost with all the options.

After reading a LOT of reviews I've half-decided on the Asus Xonar Esence STX. But I'm still open to suggestions.

·
Banned
5,217 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvAnA11 View Post
What are you using them for? Just music?
No, everything. Music, games, movies. Sennheiser has some excellent phones too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by tombom View Post
Grados are good for rock and metal I hear.
I read that too, but from what I read about them they aren't great for games.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slightly skewed View Post
No, everything. Music, games, movies. Sennheiser has some excellent phones too.
I've looked into them also, I just don't know which one pairs with the STX well.

·
Banned
5,217 Posts
Quote:

I've looked into them also, I just don't know which one pairs with the STX well.
Yes there are quite a few options there.
I think it comes down to how much you want to spend, and what your preferences are. I also have a pair of cordless Sennheisser 136's and they are pretty decent for cordless.

I'm kinda suprised that this thread hasn't gotten more responses. Maybe offer reps for suggestions because you are new.

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
AD700's are solid for gaming. They have some of the best accuracy with sound of most because the huge drivers and the open back. They will leak sound though. so if others are in room they'll hear it. But the AD700's are incredible.

if you need to go cheaper. Get the AD500's. I now run AD900's and they are amazing cans.

·
Premium Member
8,417 Posts
You don't want ad700s for anything but gaming and classical music.

Save yourself 90 bucks or so and grab some jvc harx900s for 50ish dollars. They're semi open cans that provide bass, decent soundstage and great music delivery while also doing gaming nicely. They don't benefit from your stxs amp though.

·
Premium Member
8,417 Posts
You don't want ad700s for anything but gaming and classical music.

Save yourself 90 bucks or so and grab some jvc harx900s for 50ish dollars. They're semi open cans that provide bass, decent soundstage and great music delivery while also doing gaming nicely. They don't benefit from your stxs amp though.

·
Banned
5,217 Posts
Well I think that's what he's looking for. Justification for the price of admission. looking to get the most out of it but still within budget which he hasn't even set. I dunno, I don't really like offering too much help to new people without at least be sure they won't vanish after the particualr situation/problem is solved and not even recieving so much as a rep.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's 4th of July weekend! I"m allowed to disappear for a day. (;

Of course I'll be doing the rep thing, it's just a little late tonight to research everyone's suggestions. But I will be getting to it tomorrow.

The budget was in the title, my funds are limited to around $150, preferably less.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
RX900s are good for a budget as they are moddable for a good sound. I fend 595s are decent for all fields, even gaming - not so much gaming but still offer a very believeable sound stage.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Quite a few options in the $150 range.

I'm just re-iterating what people have been suggesting for me, but:

. For primarily gaming, and pretty much gaming only, go for AD700s or HD555s.

Both will disappoint a bit in the music and movies side, because although they are accurate, they are both a bit bass light. Now, that doesn't mean the bass isn't there, it just means that it lacks the punch or rumble of, say, a Skullcandy headphone (YUCK). However, if you are highly competitive in gaming, the AD700s and HD555s are great for it, large soundstage, light bass, and accurate positioning make hearing footsteps a cinch.

. For music, get whatever Grados were suggested (I don't know anything about Grados, just that they're great for rock), SRH440s, ATH-M50s, or HA-RX900s modded.

I personally own the RX900s, and I've got to say, after modding it, I was amazed by how great they sounded. Some audiophiles say that the RX900 modded is actually better than most headphones in the sub $150-200 range. I'm not so sure about the RX900s performance in metal, but its all around great for music. gaming (the RX900 has a very large soundstage, and I was able to pinpoint footsteps very well in CS:S) and movies from my experience.

If you need a less bassy experience, the RX700 is reported to be just as good, if not better, than the RX900 in terms of balance, value, and sound.

Have a good time picking!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I've kind of narrowed to down to a few based on input here but I still can't decide between these:

HA-RX900s modded
ATH-M50s
SRH440s

The RX900s are said to not be supported by the STX's amps which is a turn off, otherwise these would probably be my choice.

But of the three here, which would be the best for gaming AND music?

EDIT: Also I don't game competitively, but a nice sound stage would be a plus.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Quote:

The RX900s are said to not be supported by the STX's amps which is a turn off, otherwise these would probably be my choice.
No, no, no. The HA-RX900 just doesn't benefit much from the opamps on the sound card, because it's not one of those headphones where you need all the right equipment to drive it (if you buy Sennheiser HD800s, you shouldn't be driving them with an onboard soundcard). Supported is the wrong term to use.

I'd say RX900s because of its large soundstage, great value, and fun aspect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh! I misinterpreted what Simca said then, "They don't benefit from your stxs amp though".

I'm definitely leaning towards the RX900s then unless someone tells me otherwise within a few days or so.

Giving rep to helpful posts now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts