• Intel C2D

Votes: 1 1.9%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intel or AMD? Id just like to know some reasons
, im an Intel fan boy but this build will be for a friend.

Not a big gamer, mainly for school and browsing the web.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
What type of school work wll you be doing? No need to wast money if you dont need the power. Also do you need peripherals too?
he's probably going to be doing C+, basic computer science stuff. Little bit of gaming - Runescape and WoW and crap like that.

Budget is actually closer to $1600, but i set it at $1500 for taxs + random add-ons.

He currently has a 21.5 LG screen but will probably buy another.

·
Overclocker
1,743 Posts
I voted for the i7, but it really seems like a waste for what he's using it for.

Maybe a cheaper Intel Quad would be better off, still good enough for multitasking and what he would need it for. WoW doesn't really require much either.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightz2k View Post
I voted for the i7, but it really seems like a waste for what he's using it for.

Maybe a cheaper Intel Quad would be better off, still good enough for multitasking and what he would need it for. Wow doesn't really require much either.

thats the only reason I didn't automatically throw the i7 in his face, Main reason I started this thread was to figure out :

AMD 940/955 or a C2Q/C2D (but I know that the 775 is dieing now) so in the long run, would an AMD system be best?

·
Registered
715 Posts
there really is not point in going i7 unless he will be doing video encoding or anything like that. I would go with AMD if I was him. A 720BE would be more than enough power for what he is doing.

·
Overclocker
1,743 Posts
Yah, I jumped on the vote before actually reading into it. I just seen $1500 and i7. lol I would anyway.
So obviously I acted as if it was my own decision.

It's true, he could just get an AMD build and it'd work out fine. The PhII 940's are getting cheaper yet, I'd get that over the 720BE just cause of the Quad-core preference. May as well future-proof it a little at least. With as much to spend on it, he won't have to go cheap on anything.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightz2k View Post
Yah, I jumped on the vote before actually reading into it. I just seen $1500 and i7. lol I would anyway.
So obviously I acted as if it was my own decision.

It's true, he could just get an AMD build and it'd work out fine. The PhII 940's are getting cheaper yet, I'd get that over the 720BE just cause of the Quad-core preference. May as well future-proof it a little at least. With as much to spend on it, he won't have to go cheap on anything.

I was thinking something in the lines of 955, 790X, 4850 or something lower.

that will save him a ton of money and ill convince him to buy me something for building it

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol, i asked him how much he wants to spend and he said like $1400 if not all....

This is my final cart I ended up with. But instead of buying from Newegg, i will purchase most if not all the parts locally from Microcenter / Frys.

And I guess since the money is free ... ( He won $3200 at a game and gives his pops $1200)

The Megahalem has AM3 mounts if im not mistaken right?

and HOLY crap @ GTS250 price. .... 30 bucks?!

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
go all out on an i7, maybe get a classified mobo if the money permits, if not, get a blood rage, gigabyte ud5, something along that price range will be real nice
a sick lian li A77 case, GTX 295, nice 850watt or higher psu and some water cooling

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 88EVGAFTW View Post
go all out on an i7, maybe get a classified mobo if the money permits, if not, get a blood rage, gigabyte ud5, something along that price range will be real nice
a sick lian li A77 case, GTX 295, nice 850watt or higher psu and some water cooling

lol, that would push the budget

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tK FuRY View Post
lol, that would push the budget

OOh yeah ur right, you can still do an i7 and blood rage/p6t, case from 120-200$ and keep out the water cooling, and like i said a GTX295 or 2 GTX275s. that should be in budget. if u dont need SLI, even better, more money to spare

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrono Detector
View Post

If your just doing general stuff and browsing without using applications that require a lot of CPU power, I suggest going to AMD, and since you have a 775 motherboard, you can just stick a Q9650 and get 2x 285/275GTX's in SLI which is plenty enough really.

It's for his friend. Not for himself.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts