Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Low 2D GDI performance RADEON drivers v15.7 - v18.7.1 (any version)

Video card: Radeon R7 360 2G

AMD forum:
https://community.amd.com/thread/230437
https://community.amd.com/thread/227931

Experiment #1 (Theme - Windows 7 Aero):

Display = No lags

GPU Core Clock = 560 - 690 MHz
GPU Memory Clock = 1500 MHz
GPU Load = 0 - 7 -24% (100% peak)

Experiment #2 (Theme - Windows Classic):

Display = Big lags

GPU Core Clock = 1070 MHz
GPU Memory Clock = 150 MHz
GPU Load = 100%

==================

My qwestion:
It is correct works switch of the Memory Clock on Classic theme?

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
2,873 Posts
I never had any issues with my r7 370 2gb or my old rx480 8gb with drivers in that version ranges.

Go ahead and download fresh drivers, or you may wanna choose to run older 17.x.x drivers as the 360 is a bit old.

I would personally run DDU (display driver uninstaller) in safemode to cleanup drivers and re-install fresh.

Then I would right click my computer icon on desktop, hit properties, and if it asks, re-run the performance assessment thing that windows has.

This basically lets windows figure out your graphics card is a fully dedicated 3d card.

Then I would find install and run MSI Afterburner. It takes better control of the video card, and will probably prevent the AMD drivers from messsing with the clocks at all.

·
Registered
348 Posts
this sounds like the software is detecting a clock failure and after such the clock speeds are reduced and the system must be restarted to restore clocks.

edit: what if you leave it in classic and restart the system? does it still perform badly?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
mattliston

The problem occurs on Windows 7 only with RADEON drivers v15.7 - v18.7.1 (any version).

Let's check with you.What video card and OS do you currently have?

Formula383

I restarted the system many times. This is a 100% bug of AMD drivers.

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
2,873 Posts
My 370 is collecting dust since I bought a 1080 TI.

I generally owned AMD GPU's, from 5770, 7870, 370, and finally the RX480.

I always did the DDU clean up and install, I wonder if that is what has kept me problem free.

EDIT

I recommend you download the current drivers, perform the DDU driver cleanup, reboot into safemode, and use a program such as ccleaner to clean the registry of any old entries, delete any AMD folders that may still be present, then reboot again, back into safemode, where you install the new drivers.

Upon first boot up with the new drivers, let the system idle at teh desktop for several minutes, then simply perform a normal restart.

Go from there. Please post results.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Переснял это видео более детально. Видно, что производительность в спектре фубара резко возрастает, когда окошко "Radeon Settings" хоть на 1 мм выглядывает. Как только его не видно - так карта впадает в ступор. Вот такие кривые алгоримы у АМД драйверов.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reduced Windows performance and low FPS from the Radeon driver. On the "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" - no problems.

Programs for the test:
2D Test with source code - https://github.com/JMKh3r/2DTest/releases/tag/1.3.0.0
SimpleGLUT with source code - http://rgho.st/87wYV9wgB

Radeon driver v15.7.1:
FPS = 4 - 1100 (huge drawdown FPS)
Very large lags when moving windows.

"Standard VGA Graphics Adapter":
FPS = 510-720
There are no lags when you move the window.

Increase 2D performance from nothing. If you place the "Radeon Settings" window underneath the spectrum window, so that at least 1mm of the window is visible outside the spectrum window, then the spectrum is accelerated tens of times and the FPS in simpleGLUT rises from 40-60 to 1100-1300. AMD drivers can not determine the resources, which the program requires, and mistakenly sets the video card to minimum performance.

Short video:

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
2,873 Posts
mattliston

Everyone has this problem.
Set a classic theme Win7 and check it yourself.

I am on classic theme, or at least I think I am.

basic light blue screen background with no orb for a start right?

Aero stuff slows down my AMD FX chip during daily use liek internet browsing or going through my harddrives and organizing. Dunno why, but the fancy theme crap makes it worse.

I do great in intensive games like GTA V with high settings at 1080p, can hit 100fps sometimes. I think the worst its been with the 1080 TI was 50-60 fps because I left some settings far too high

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mattliston

GTA and other games use 3D acceleration.
I'm writing about 2D acceleration problems. Read carefully!

Compare 2D GDI performance - Discrette vs Integrated.

Test #1: Discrette graphic card - Radeon R7 360. Very low performance

Test #2: Integrated CPU Intel i5-6500 - HD 530. Normal performance

Resume: ABSUR!! Integrated CPU i5-6500 HD530 has higher 2D performance than the discrette Radeon R7 360.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Using "double-buffering patch" increase RADEON driver performance up 10-30 times!

Demonstration on the foobar2000 spectrum with FPS measurement using simpleGLUT.

No patch (WS_EX_COMPOSITED = OFF)
FPS = 25-60 (very big lags)

Used "double-buffering patch" (WS_EX_COMPOSITED = ON)
FPS = 850-920 (no lags)

Video 1 from Camera -

Video 2 -

Source code FIX:

#include <windows.h>
#define WS_EX_COMPOSITED 0x02000000L
static BOOL WINAPI EnumProc (HWND hwnd, LPARAM param)
{
DWORD style;
style = (DWORD)GetWindowLong (hwnd, GWL_EXSTYLE);
// ON
SetWindowLong (hwnd, GWL_EXSTYLE, style | WS_EX_COMPOSITED);
// OFF
//SetWindowLong (hwnd, GWL_EXSTYLE, style & ~WS_EX_COMPOSITED);
return TRUE;
}

void BoostWindows (void)
{
EnumWindows (EnumProc, 0l);
}
int WINAPI WinMain (HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR szCmdLine, int nShowCmd)
{
BoostWindows ();
return 0;
}

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Classic theme for Windows 7 with GPU acceleration "Classic AE mod 2019_7" (October 14, 2019)

This theme based on "Classic AE 2.5.3" Classic AE 2.5.3 Final by Saarineames on DeviantArt

Complete list of modifications:
1) Added a gradient to the window title
2) The correct color of the text in the active and inactive window titles
3) Normal Tahoma-font (without ClearType)
4) The correct gray color in all elements of the interface RGB (212, 208, 200)
5) Correct TrackBar
6) Classic menu (fixed color)
7) For a better view, the highlighted item on a gray background is darker than on a white
8) ProgressBar animation is disabled
9) No-skins cursors are used
10) Fixed a bug in ScrollBar
11) Fixed background color Windows Firewall
12) Fixed aero mode crach at 125% font size
13) Darker active window title in non-aero mode
14) Correct resource IMAGE#1136
15) Fixed text captions (white field in Outpost)
16) TaskManager and Calculator with a classic design are attached,
and additional programs recommended for use:
- 7tt_setup - very useful tweaker of the TaskBar
- ClassicShellSetup_4_3_1-ru - for classic "Start" menu
- FONTS_140516 - replaces the font Segoe 9 with Tahoma 8 in all dialogs
- Win7 Style Builder v1.5.0.0 - msstyles file editor, if you want to modify this theme

Theme "Classic AE mod 2019_7":

Theme "Luna Aero":

Install:
1) Install "UniversalThemePatcher" (Recommended) or "UxStyle" for your Windows 7 OS (32- or 64-bit). If "UniversalThemePatcher" or "UxStyle" is already installed - then this step is skipped. This patch allows you to add third-party themes to your system.
2) Unpack the theme "Classic AE mod 2019_7" in the path c:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\
3) Go to "Personalization" and switch to "Classic AE mod 2019_7"
4) Restart your PC. Enjoy the classic design Windows 7 with GPU acceleration!

Download (Classic_AE_mod_2019_7_megapack.zip, 20 Mbytes):
https://yadi.sk/d/LRJq25_f1-rGhg
http://ge.tt/4eBdBmy2
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/ATu9EbYv/file.html

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It does not depend on the productivity of the PC, even on a modern computer, with a powerful CPU and GPU, you will get problems with 2D performance in any non-Aero themes. To check, do download a simple program, for example - 2ip NetMonitor from the website https://2ip.ru/download/NetMonitor.exe and become assured that without the DWM patch on the Classic theme - all lines will flicker. But with the DWM patch, the lags disappear.

Similar problems will occur on other programs that do not use double buffering of video output. Another example is the simplest Neutron 1.07 program, you can download it from скачать neutron бесплатно (windows) or take it from the "Solutions" archive from this topic. Even in the "Task Manager" (built-in from Win 7), the column "CPU load" flashes. There are a lot of such examples...

All cases are united by a trait - programs that do not use double buffering of video output will work slowly in any non-Aero themes (including built-in Classic). Enabling composition through the DWM.EXE patch forces double buffering, and significantly increases 2D GDI performance - removing blinking text labels and speeding up drawing of a 2D interface up to 10 times!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts